DORIAN TO MAKE DIRECT HIT ON HALIFAX

mamaofami

4 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Jacqui I thought you were from New Brunswick!! Prayers to everyone and I hope the warning is only a ⚠️ warning!!

Your in my thoughts hope Jose, your doggies will be safe!

Take care

Denise😊

Thanks Denise.  We’re preparing outside and watching the track and forecasts.

They expect Dorian to pick up speed in the Atlantic waters and be a cat 1 hurricane.  Even a tropical cyclone means high winds and preparation.  Hopefully , it is all for naught but it will too rainy tomorrow to do it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

They expect Dorian to pick up speed in the Atlantic waters and be a cat 1 hurricane.  Even a tropical cyclone means high winds and preparation.  Hopefully , it is all for naught but it will too rainy tomorrow to do it.

I’m sending you positive thoughts!!!

Such crazy weather! Here it has been so warm and humid!!! Not like that here at my home! Seems like our summer is starting now ! 

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

As well as Southern New Brunswick. 😞  Pretty much all of the Maritimes are under Tropical Cyclone and Hurricane warning.  Newfoundland is under a watch until tomorrow when it heads to them.

Jacqui, stay safe.

• Like 1

Just looked at the Port Nassau web cam and there doesn't seem to be any damage in the port, not what you see when they show the amount of damage done to the rest of the island not least the 30 lost lives.  Wonder how the HMC & the rest of the private cruise islands made out?

4 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Just looked at the Port Nassau web cam and there doesn't seem to be any damage in the port, not what you see when they show the amount of damage done to the rest of the island not least the 30 lost lives.  Wonder how the HMC & the rest of the private cruise islands made out?

Bahamas are quite large.  Nassau had very little damage.  The big damage was on Grand Bahama and some other nearby islands.

Roy

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - you will be diverted to Bermuda (based on the illogical assumption that as Bermuda cruises have been diverted from Bermuda to New England/Canada when there is a storm, the opposite must apply).

That should be fun except for my fall weather clothing.

12 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Captain announced that we (Zuiderdam) will miss Sydney and Saint Pierre.  We will sail to Anticosti Island in the Gulf.  Gaspe may be added as a port call.  We are still hoping to make Corner Brook as scheduled. But things can change again...

Corner Brook shouldn’t have the impact until Sunday.  Not sure when you get there but if It is Sunday I wouldn’t count on it.

I’m watching reports and Atlantic waters here are warm (thank you climate change 😞 ) and it is going to pick up speed - at least that’s what they are saying so far.

Atlantic Canada is a direct hit - no off the coast stuff.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Corner Brook shouldn’t have the impact until Sunday.  Not sure when you get there but if It is Sunday I wouldn’t count on it.

I’m watching reports and Atlantic waters here are warm (thank you climate change 😞 ) and it is going to pick up speed - at least that’s what they are saying so far.

Atlantic Canada is a direct hit - no off the coast stuff.

Corner Brook is scheduled for Monday.  Tomorrow will be a sea day and Sunday will be Gaspe, if possible.  They'll re-evaluate over the next 36 hours and may make more changes to the itinerary as necessary.  

Hoping our friends in Canada fare as well as we did today with Dorian off our coast.  Only one area was under mandatory evacuation, Sandbridge Beach, part of VA Beach.  Our winds were less than 35 miles per hour, no loss of electricity in my area, and little to no flooding.  Some of the other cities in Hampton Roads were not as fortunate.  Of course, if Norfolk, VA gets any rain at all, it floods because it's below sea level.  

As of 4 p.m., no wind, no rain.  Thinking about you in Canada.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kazu said:

Hi there fellow NB'er.   As of 6:00pm Atlantic time today (6 Sep), Caitlin Mitchell's new map now shows Dorian back to a Cat 2 while crossing NS & PEI headed for NL.  When I checked the hurricane model sites, the NHC Miami (who I figure are the best "experts" on hurricanes) show the center hitting between Peggy's Cove and Indian Harbour, then heading out over Stewiack and hitting Murray Harbour and Souris on PEI.   Here in Oromocto/Freddy we have put anything away that might blow around......

For those concerned about damages to the ports - Halifax is used to Nor'easters and winter storms so the port itself should be OK or any damage fixed within a day or two.  Couldn't really guess for Sydney as I'm guessing any required repairs would have to be made to the ferry jetties first as it is the only link to NF from the mainland except by air.   But I am just speculating on the ports themselves, not the rest of the areas.

Edited by Shih-tzu
Added date/time to hurricane update
  • Like 3

The Zuiderdam will have a sea day, Saturday Sept 7, in place of the Sydney port call.

Sunday Sept 8, the Captain hopes to call on Gaspé, 8 AM - 3 PM, replacing StPierre et Miquelon.  Hopefully the shore excursion office will be able to put together some tours, more news tomorrow on sea day.

The Captain hopes to resume the port schedule with Cornerbrook , MondaySep 9 as usual.  Port time was 10 AM - 11 PM...

after that our schedule is Charlottetown, Baie Comeau and Saguenay , with Disembarkation in Quebec City, Sunday Sept 15

Fingers crossed that we can carry on with Corner brook and ports after- and stay out of harm’s way.

My DD emailed this evening from Portsmouth, they had driven from Gander and heading for Boston.  They had lunch in Bar Harbour, and Veendam was there.  She said she kept looking for us with all the HAL bags and stickers around!  She was told the ship was leaving Bar Harbour early and heading for Boston trying to get there before Dorian affected the situation.

13 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Corner Brook is scheduled for Monday.  Tomorrow will be a sea day and Sunday will be Gaspe, if possible.  They'll re-evaluate over the next 36 hours and may make more changes to the itinerary as necessary.  

Hello Alberta Quilter!  I've been thinking of all of you aboard the Zuiderdam and wondering how Dorian might have affected you.  I'm sorry you missed Sydney and St. Pierre!  I hope the rest of your itinerary will hold.   We are scheduled to board the Summit tomorrow in Cape Liberty... hope to see you all from the Zuiderdam in QC on the 15th.   🙂

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Captain just announced that Gaspe is no longer a viable stop for us.  Sounds like we'll have another sea day tomorrow and will still try for Corner Brook on Monday.  Darn!  Now DM and I are two for two in missing Gaspe.  And we booked this cruise mostly to see Saint Pierre.  Oh well.  No one can control Mother Nature.  Guess we'll have to book another one to this area to see what we've missed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Hello Alberta Quilter!  I've been thinking of all of you aboard the Zuiderdam and wondering how Dorian might have affected you.  I'm sorry you missed Sydney and St. Pierre!  I hope the rest of your itinerary will hold.   We are scheduled to board the Summit tomorrow in Cape Liberty... hope to see you all from the Zuiderdam in QC on the 15th.   🙂

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Hi Turtles!  Looks like you made a really good decision to change cruises!  I hope your cruise will not be affected by a hurricane.  But, we are safe and they have our continued safety in mind.  Can't ask for more than that.

• Like 1

Just a Dorian update.  It’s been updated to a category 2 and that’s how it’s going to hit when it makes landfall in Nova Scotia and moves along.

Atlantic waters are too warm so it’s not slowing down.

We still have power for now, but the rain is torrential and the winds are already high here.

This will be worse than Juan which did a lot of devastation.  Halifax learned a lot from Juan so they are as prepared as can be.