Dear Celebrity, you really don't want us in our staterooms, do you?

the_dylaness

Frankly, I could never understand why someone would spend thousands on a cruise and then spend precious vacation time watching a movie in their cabin. Personally, I couldn't care less about movies, foot stools, cabin furniture, etc. To me, a comfortable bed and mattress are much more important. (speaking on which, I wake up every morning with back pain due to extremely hard mattress).

What really surprises me is that there are hundreds of posts about "cabin experience", but so few posts about declining food, lack of activities, over crowded ships, declining service etc. To me, this is the real cruise experience, but it seems that to most people it is much less important.  

• Like 3

I will be sailing on Celebrity's Silhouette in February 2020 after a four year break from the cruiseline.  The last two years we sailed on HA Koningsdam and Nieue Statendam and we were impressed with the abundance of free movies and, in particular, the number of new movies that had recently been in theaters. They are great for rainy days or evenings where you've worn yourself out during the day on shore excursions. It seems like Celebrity is raising its prices to be somewhere between the "premium" and "luxury" categories.  So what do you get for the extra money?  The food on HA is at least as good if not slightly better and the staff on HA is much friendlier. On the other hand, I have missed Celebrity's Cafe al Bacio. I hope that is as good as I remember. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Frankly, I could never understand why someone would spend thousands on a cruise and then spend precious vacation time watching a movie in their cabin. Personally, I couldn't care less about movies, foot stools, cabin furniture, etc. To me, a comfortable bed and mattress are much more important. (speaking on which, I wake up every morning with back pain due to extremely hard mattress).

What really surprises me is that there are hundreds of posts about "cabin experience", but so few posts about declining food, lack of activities, over crowded ships, declining service etc. To me, this is the real cruise experience, but it seems that to most people it is much less important.  

I completely agree and would add clean room.  Personally I want low key experience that celebrity gives. I like to disconnect from everything while on vacation. I rarely rarely watch tv I would say it’s on about less than 2 hrs a week if that   The room is to store my things and my 15 minutes away on the balcony of away from everyone.  I t Nd to end up taking more showers in the gym then anywhere I noticed.  Food is important and I usually have no problems finding something. If I don’t like it I find something else.  I’ve ordered at times 2-3 entrees at a time.  Only get the sides on one and have main courses on others.   Service I never had an issue either.   I pay attention to service and acknowledge it right away, I do understand the complaints about movies but it doesn’t bother me at all  i remember when people could smoke on the ships and not limited and when there was no internet at sea.   Do we want that back?   I read somewhere with someone pointing out until the market reaches saturation point when ships are not selling out we will see these little things happening here and there. The different lines are building new ships so the market at this point  demand is there.  Would love if companies would focus customer first overall.  Yes other lines might have these amenities that celebrity does not.  Each line needs to be distinct overall. I’m not into the new huge mega ships.  Don’t need rock walls, bumper cars etc.  the main thing I come to boards for is info on the ships and wine lists ports etc.   

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Now I could understand if the "perks" they eliminated cost Celebrity tons of money and they felt it wasn't worth the cost, but movies definitely do not (costs them next to nothing basically).

Airlines pay up to $20 million annually for their in-flight movies, and there is no reason to believe that cruise lines receive preferential rates. That's not "next to nothing" in my books, and clearly Celebrity holds the same opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We like to do a mixture on a cruise. We work flat out and by the time we get to our cruise we need a mixture of an experience and a rest (to  make sure that we are recharged ready to go back to work). We used to do everything the ship had to offer and every excursion 24/7  and then realised that we should do what we wanted to do as we were worn out by the time we got home!

We usually enjoy the ship in the evening , but sometimes we just want to crash out after an early get up for an excursion (and perhaps facing an early wake up). On those occasions we just love to get back to the cabin with glass in hand, sit on the balcony a while and watch the stars and then curl up and watch a film. Bliss.

I hope the next comment doesn't offend, but we are in our 50s --- add another 20 years and I am guessing the nice evenings curling up may increase FOR US (i.e. not everyone before anyone is offended)

We're all different and cruise ships (like any good hotel) needs to cater for everyone.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ak1004 said:

It's ALL important....the movie issue is just one more added to the pile.....  and the pile is getting bigger and bigger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Airlines pay up to $20 million annually for their in-flight movies, and there is no reason to believe that cruise lines receive preferential rates. That's not "next to nothing" in my books, and clearly Celebrity holds the same opinion.

If that figure is correct, I for one would prefer they spent that $20m on food and entertainment improvements although to be fair, on my last three Celebrity cruises I have never veered away from the MDR (and we went into the theatre most evenings).

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 1:37 AM, ak1004 said:

I think we already have baked those experiences into the price. I don't find Celebrity crowded except when everyone is out and about. For years you had to upgrade to suites of specialty dining for what used to be MDR. The exception I recently had was on Edge.  Just trying to stop the erosion.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:39 AM, MarkWiltonM said:

I will be sailing on Celebrity's Silhouette in February 2020 after a four year break from the cruiseline.  The last two years we sailed on HA Koningsdam and Nieue Statendam and we were impressed with the abundance of free movies and, in particular, the number of new movies that had recently been in theaters. They are great for rainy days or evenings where you've worn yourself out during the day on shore excursions. It seems like Celebrity is raising its prices to be somewhere between the "premium" and "luxury" categories.  So what do you get for the extra money?  The food on HA is at least as good if not slightly better and the staff on HA is much friendlier. On the other hand, I have missed Celebrity's Cafe al Bacio. I hope that is as good as I remember. 

I love the Cafe too and I suspect you will find it in order. The always amazing staff is more lax but the offerings are good. I look forward to your comparisons. Yes I loved the free movies that were not on our home premium channel yet. 

This has just been posted on social media:

Wow! I am so impressed with Celebrity!  Take a look at what I received this morning!

Dear Mrs. XXX:

Thank you for your email. 

Good news! Our guests’ spoke and we listened! We have reinstated the free movies in the stateroom and our ships are in the process of reloading the movies on board and updating the movie content. Thank you so much for voicing your disappointment, as we are happy to be able to do this for our guests. 

Mrs. XXX, we hope to welcome you on board again soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:39 AM, Fouremco said:

About 27.2 million people cruised worldwide on ALL cruise lines in 2018 per the FCCA (Florida Caribbean Cruise association.)  JUST American Airlines has 203 Million passengers per year.  Just the US airlines alone exclusive of international carriers was 849.3 million pax per the US dept of transportation.  American Airlines has 6,700 flights a day.  Celebrity may have 2-3 ships departing on a given day tops.

We are comparing apples to oranges.  Celebrity’s costs for movies is likely nothing close to the airlines movie entertainment costs.  I believe based on number of impressions and movies streamed while they do not receive preferential rates,  they pay much less in fees.  While not next to nothing,  in true grand scheme of cruise line costs it is likely very small portion of the budget compared to live entertainment, production shows, headliners, staffing, etcX

Edited by rimmit

11 minutes ago, rimmit said:

About 27.2 million people cruised worldwide on ALL cruise lines in 2018 per the FCCA (Florida Caribbean Cruise association.)  JUST American Airlines has 203 Million passengers per year.  Just the US airlines alone exclusive of international carriers was 849.3 million pax per the US dept of transportation.  American Airlines has 6,700 flights a day.  Celebrity may have 2-3 ships departing on a given day tops.

If the average cruise is 7 days, those 27.2 million people are spending 4.569 billion hours on cruise ships. If the average flight is 3 hours, those 849.3 million passengers are spending 2.548 billion hours on planes--a little more than half the time. I made up these averages and have no idea if they're correct or even relevant. I'm just providing an alternate viewpoint.

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

If the average cruise is 7 days, those 27.2 million people are spending 4.569 billion hours on cruise ships. If the average flight is 3 hours, those 849.3 million passengers are spending 2.548 billion hours on planes--a little more than half the time. I made up these averages and have no idea if they're correct or even relevant. I'm just providing an alternate viewpoint.

Yes, per unit time, more are spending time on a cruise ship.  I am not sure the compensation models if it’s a per pax basis or per play basis.  I know pandora and Netflix go on a per play basis or a hybrid model for some shows.  (Why do you think they always ask if you are still watching.  So they aren’t paying for shows you aren’t watching).  They are not compensating movie studios on possible available hours to play.  It is likely either a blanket payment, or a per passenger or per play basis.  There is no model I have ever seen that pays on a theoretical number of hours passengers can stream.  Although it is possible.  

This is all just speculation based on other payment models.  I am simply stating that celebrities costs are nowhere near what airlines are pumping out for streaming media.  Airlines have hundreds of movies and shows.  Celebrity has maybe 5-20 based on the sailing.  

Edited by rimmit

2 minutes ago, rimmit said:

I am simply stating that celebrities costs are nowhere near what airlines are pumping out for streaming media.  Airlines have hundreds of movies and shows.  Celebrity has maybe 5-20 based on the sailing.  

Yes, you are simply stating the same thing again, but this time, basing your premise on completely different reasons.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, Fouremco said:

Airlines have hundreds of planes making multiple flights per day.  The cruise line has, at most, a few dozen ships; with a captive audience for up to several weeks at a time.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:37 AM, ak1004 said:

Which is why everyone vacations differently.  Everyone wants/expects/hopes their vacation is perfect.  I'm glad for having options.....  (I've heard that before, hmmmm)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes, you are simply stating the same thing again, but this time, basing your premise on completely different reasons.

Correct as you implied that due to sheer number of possible streamable hours the cruise lines could be paying more than the airlines.  

I was using different reasons to emphasize the two are apples and oranges.  To give another different reason, airlines also have a captive audience.  I have watched 5-6 movies on a long haul flight before.  That’s about what I watch on a 7 night cruise.  Airlines have more usage of on demand movies and tv than cruiselines which likely effects the costs as well.   Just basing my premise on another different reason.

A more apples to apples comparison is an all inclusive resort vs cruise line terms of tv and media costs. 

Edited by rimmit

On 9/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, Fouremco said:

Celebrity can make $20 million in 2 cruises easily, they can clear that much in 3.  So how many cruises do they have in a month?  If they want to cover the cost and keep the movies, they could increase the price a mere $10 per cruiser for the year and still make more money than just getting rid of them.

And if anyone is going to grouse about $20, then it's not about the $20. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Few things with this model - aren't the flights with the free movies the long flights 5-18 hours in during which a lot of people are doing little else other than watching the free entertainment for the duration of the flight?  On a ship, those watching the movies are, on average, probably only watching for a couple of hours a day

1 hour ago, DYKWIA said:

Few things with this model - aren't the flights with the free movies the long flights 5-18 hours in during which a lot of people are doing little else other than watching the free entertainment for the duration of the flight?  On a ship, those watching the movies are, on average, probably only watching for a couple of hours a day

Those are all fair points. Like I wrote originally,  I just made my stuff up. None of us actually know how much these movies cost Celebrity. Perhaps it's buried on some public financial statement, though I doubt it would be that detailed.

1 hour ago, DYKWIA said:

FWIW - I just flew Detroit-Chicago. It's a little over an hour. The flight was so short that no snack or beverages were served but I DID manage to watch most of a (really good) movie. So it's not just long haul flights.  I think there were probably 50 -75 options of movies available on that flight, not the 8 -10 usually offered on a cruise.

I'm glad they reinstated the movies and I hope the footstools and regular size balcony tables are next!

• Like 1