Pleasantly surprised by Equinox Retreat Lounge!

Ginnyfyr

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

I think that sums up many of the comments I've read about the Edge (not just the Retreat Lounge.)

I agree that the Edge has some design issues, but thought the Retreat Lounge was very nice - I don't remember mini chairs or uncomfortable furniture - it was like an upscale living room. The thing we didn't like was the lack of a free-standing bar (had bar behind the door). We were told that would be fixed on the Apex - we shall see. The drink service was always good when we were in there and there was always one concierge in there roving the room, if not at their desk (table). A few times when it was busy, two were there and Priscilla, the suite manager, did come by on occasion (and always a call away). We did spend less time in the Retreat Lounge than we have spent in MC on other ships, likely because of the lack of bar or lack of evening music events (they do that some now, from more recent reports), but definitely not due to comfort or service as described above.

We liked the food service set up with tables and chairs/bench seats in front of the food so that we could eat at a table or go outside to the covered deck outside the lounge (also set up with tables and chairs - we loved having continental breakfast there on port days and afternoon tea was nice). Upstairs, the Sundeck was also well-designed and comfortable (there were a few "out there" chairs, but with so much seating available they just became conversation pieces). We saw shaded areas, though I know some have said there were not enough. It wasn't an issue for us, maybe because of the weather on our cruise. There is a pool and a hot tub, shower, bathrooms and a full bar. The bar up there was great - very good service while in a lounger or could sit at the bar or at tables in the bar areas and have snacks or lunch.

I'm not saying it was perfect, but being a new build they could put in the pool, hot tub, a good-sized bar area on the Retreat Sundeck and with all of the gorgeous space with comfortable furniture and great service, we were overall very happy there (despite the lack of a bar in the Retreat Lounge, which was a design fail in our book). 

Now, about some of the other Edge design issues that you alluded to....😊

We hope to sample the Revolutionized ships' suite life eventually (depending on price) and hope they will improve over time - it makes me sad to hear about poor service and a sterile atmosphere with few people there. Luckily, furniture can be changed and service can be improved with guest feedback - hope it will develop into a great place to hang out over time.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

So disappointed with many comments about the Retreat (I like MIchael's Club name better) on Equinox. I hope I can still get champagne there. On EQ in July on the second day I filled out my "what can we do to make things better" form with 2 requests. Both were filled for the remainder of the cruise and the next week's cruise. Maybe a comment about slow service in the Retreat on that survey will help if a meeting with the suite mgr. doesn't improve service.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, Ginnyfyr said:

Wasn't expecting much after all I've read online over the last few months, but hubby and I were quite happy with the new set up! Loved how bright the new lounge is and we were happy to see there's an actual bar in the lounge (loved the small self serve fridges too - handy to grab soft drinks and bottled flat/sparkling water). Apparently HQ is listening to online complaints and the teeny tiny round chairs have been replaced with round chairs with an, um, wider capacity? Overall we thought the lounge was very welcoming and comfortable (and I might have eaten about 100 of the delicious egg salad sandwiches offered during afternoon tea - they were so good!) 

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

548.jpg

550.jpg

551.jpg

Did you check out the Retreat Sun Deck?

Ginnyfyr...That's a great idea, umbrellas for those who want some shade!  And BTW...that decking looks like Tec or composite material; if it is, it's gonna get pretty hot when the sun comes out.  Don't walk around bare-foot!

On 9/15/2019 at 7:38 PM, RichYak said:

I'm sailing Summit for the first time in December. I was under the impression from other posts that there was no longer a bar since the Michael's refit. I'm very glad to hear this and may actually give it a visit now.

The confusion may be from "The Retreat" and "The Retreat Lounge".     There is still the existing bar in the "Retreat Lounge"  -  They have also installed a chill counter in the rounded area where the Piano use to sit where they set out breakfast and snacks.    

234F9A05-83E3-436A-9F90-C3EFA03B95F2.thumb.jpeg.749b1c5e0aa1d6ea1a6de6ee42ca30d4.jpeg

The Retreat Lounge on the other hand has servers who walk around and get drinks for you.   The drinks are prepared in a back area and brought to you.    The Lounge also serves light lunches every day.   

2FC53E3F-3F8C-4C7B-8A5B-4C6271670A84.thumb.jpeg.daeb02360c45fe2668a9faa22a6e18fe.jpeg

620549F9-B4FB-4457-9007-BCE8C87021A6.thumb.jpeg.c5e38814c4641c3714b327d56e2fe786.jpeg

This is summit. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The confusion may be from "The Retreat" and "The Retreat Lounge".     There is still the existing bar in the "Retreat Lounge"  -  They have also installed a chill counter in the rounded area where the Piano use to sit where they set out breakfast and snacks.    

234F9A05-83E3-436A-9F90-C3EFA03B95F2.thumb.jpeg.749b1c5e0aa1d6ea1a6de6ee42ca30d4.jpeg

The Retreat Lounge on the other hand has servers who walk around and get drinks for you.   The drinks are prepared in a back area and brought to you.    The Lounge also serves light lunches every day.   

2FC53E3F-3F8C-4C7B-8A5B-4C6271670A84.thumb.jpeg.daeb02360c45fe2668a9faa22a6e18fe.jpeg

620549F9-B4FB-4457-9007-BCE8C87021A6.thumb.jpeg.c5e38814c4641c3714b327d56e2fe786.jpeg

This is summit. 

I think you meant the Retreat and not Retreat Lounge.   If not you are referring to the same place.

Shame on X for naming both using “Retreat” it is very confusing.

They should have left it Michael’s Club.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

3 hours ago, miched said:

I think you meant the Retreat and not Retreat Lounge.   If not you are referring to the same place.

Shame on X for naming both using “Retreat” it is very confusing.

They should have left it Michael’s Club.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Your of course are right-   The Retreat Lounge is the one inside.    ---- I agree they should have kept it named Michael's Club

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I refer to the spaces as "Retreat Sundeck" and "Retreat Lounge" to make it easier. Your explanation is confusing because I think you mixed up the names, but your photos were helpful. Thanks.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:32 PM, hulamoon said:

So, what? 

If there is not a bar in the retreat are people just sitting around? Do they go to other bars to get a drink and bring them in? Or is it a new concept, meditation like area.

Someone takes your drink order and brings it to you 

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, 39august said:

So disappointed with many comments about the Retreat (I like MIchael's Club name better) on Equinox. I hope I can still get champagne there. On EQ in July on the second day I filled out my "what can we do to make things better" form with 2 requests. Both were filled for the remainder of the cruise and the next week's cruise. Maybe a comment about slow service in the Retreat on that survey will help if a meeting with the suite mgr. doesn't improve service.

Thinking back on our Aug Equinox cruise - the service in the Retreat Lounge was what I would call sporadically slow or situationally slow. We spent a couple of long afternoons there chatting, and there was a period of time between "tea time" and "cocktail time" that service became slow because a lot of things had to be changed out and the butlers would leave and the bartender come, then once things settled around 5:30, service picked back up. The other slow spot I noticed was some evenings everyone seemed to come in at one time, and that is not the servers fault, understandable.

I didn't quite get why there was "teatime" then "cocktail" time. The butlers sort of ran teatime, then the bartender and later a cocktail server seemed to run cocktail time, it just seemed like rather than having 4 people, then clear everything away and have 2 people, that they could have run it better with 3 all the time, and let the other butlers deliver to the suites that wanted in room service - it just all seemed unnecessarily complicated - you could get a tea or coffee made before 5, but harder afterward, and at 5 the sweets disappeared and the snacks became saltier and no mayo - I just drank my glass of Malbec and watched, but it seemed odd.

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Thinking back on our Aug Equinox cruise - the service in the Retreat Lounge was what I would call sporadically slow or situationally slow. We spent a couple of long afternoons there chatting, and there was a period of time between "tea time" and "cocktail time" that service became slow because a lot of things had to be changed out and the butlers would leave and the bartender come, then once things settled around 5:30, service picked back up. The other slow spot I noticed was some evenings everyone seemed to come in at one time, and that is not the servers fault, understandable.

I didn't quite get why there was "teatime" then "cocktail" time. The butlers sort of ran teatime, then the bartender and later a cocktail server seemed to run cocktail time, it just seemed like rather than having 4 people, then clear everything away and have 2 people, that they could have run it better with 3 all the time, and let the other butlers deliver to the suites that wanted in room service - it just all seemed unnecessarily complicated - you could get a tea or coffee made before 5, but harder afterward, and at 5 the sweets disappeared and the snacks became saltier and no mayo - I just drank my glass of Malbec and watched, but it seemed odd.

Butlers?  I saw one butler who did absolutely no interaction with the guests whatsoever.  So why was he there?  I thought the service was terrible.  Not at all what I was used to in Michael's.

5 hours ago, riredsox said:

Someone takes your drink order and brings it to you 

That someone is called a husband if they want to be “served” that night.  🥰😍😜

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Butlers?  I saw one butler who did absolutely no interaction with the guests whatsoever.  So why was he there?  I thought the service was terrible.  Not at all what I was used to in Michael's.

Actually after 30 celebrity cruises, 3 on the equinox- I must agree with you- even our  Suite butler was overwhelmed and we didn't get the same service as we were used to- Michaels club was previously so much better-  Better service from the staff-

Hopefully, the next time we are on the Equinox, the retreat sun deck will be greatly improved also.  That was a big disappointment after sailing on the Edge and accessing the edge suite deck-

Edited by Cruise a holic

12 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

We have noticed that this has been happening more and more as years go by. I recall one butler on the Silhouette who stood at the bar in Michaels during afternoon tea every day and did absolutely nothing every day we were in. Generally the standard of attention has been getting less and less. There are a few good ones who are ones that we have seen for years but the new ones don't seem to care.

When Cranston was the barman there he always asked how we were getting on with our butler. We remarked that we hardly knew him. I am sure that he spoke to him as things did get marginally better.

We are very low maintenance as far as the butlers are concerned but you do want to interact with them at some time. 

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

4 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

We have noticed that this has been happening more and more as years go by. I recall one butler on the Silhouette who stood at the bar in Michaels during afternoon tea every day and did absolutely nothing every day we were in. Generally the standard of attention has been getting less and less. There are a few good ones who are ones that we have seen for years but the new ones don't seem to care.

When Cranston was the barman there he always asked how we were getting on with our butler. We remarked that we hardly knew him. I am sure that he spoke to him as things did get marginally better.

We are very low maintenance as far as the butlers are concerned but you do want to interact with them at some time. 

I didn't even meet my butler until the second day.  That has never happened before on Celebrity.  I'm pretty low maintenance too, but I do expect the butler to show up from time to time, and certainly the first day.  I wonder if training has slipped or if they are too short staffed.  Whatever, they had better fix it with the exorbitant prices they're charging for suites these days.

We just returned Monday from our 10 night Equinox cruise in a Suite.  We had a Suite on the Edge in April.  We loved the Retreat sundeck on that ship and had excellent service in the lounge even though there wasn't a bar in there.  We also cruised twice in Suites on the Equinox over the last 2 years in addition to this one.  So we have been in Suites a total of 4 times.  The prices have certainly gone up a lot.  We were very underwhelmed by the Retreat Lounge on this cruise and only visited there maybe four times the entire cruise.  We spent A LOT of time in the lounge when it was Michael's Club.  We went to the Retreat Sundeck only one time.  My husband has had too many bouts with skin cancer to not have any shade.  There are no bathrooms close by and finally after waiting for around 15 minutes I got up and had to go ask someone to get a drink for me.  We were very disappointed and no longer feel that the benefits of being in a Suite justify the cost.

We booked our next cruise on board for next April on Equinox but booked Aqua Class.  Suite class is no longer appealing for what they are charging.  

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 11:44 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I am also just off the Equinox.  I found the new Retreat Lounge sterile.  Service was nonexistent.  If you wanted a drink, you had to go to the bar.  Even then, it took forever.  Also do not care for the Concierge stand.  Preferred to be able to sit down to talk with the Concierge(s).  The two concierges I interacted with, Alexandra and Jeffrey, were pleasant and responsive.  No sign of the Suite Manager the entire cruise.  Maybe he's just a figment of our imagination.  The only time I saw more than 4 people in the lounge was the night the officers came.  Then it was packed to the gills.  Somehow, it just doesn't feel conducive to just hanging out as the old Michael's Club used to.  The one time I went to the butler's tea, there was one butler.  Who spent absolutely no time serving or interacting with the guests.  It was all self service.  I can get that in the Oceanview Cafe.  Given the exorbitant prices they're charging for suites these days, I think this is a big fail.

Could not access the Retreat Sundeck as there is no elevator service.  By all accounts, it's hot and windy and no shade.  No bar, no pool.  So what's the point???

And yes, the baby chairs were replaced during the cruise before mine.  With a slightly larger version.

100% agree!

8 hours ago, spammie said:

We were very underwhelmed by the Retreat Lounge on this cruise and only visited there maybe four times the entire cruise.  We spent A LOT of time in the lounge when it was Michael's Club. 

That mirrors my experience on the Equinox recently.  Luminae was excellent, the suite lounge was blah.

15 hours ago, spammie said:

We just returned Monday from our 10 night Equinox cruise in a Suite.  We had a Suite on the Edge in April.  We loved the Retreat sundeck on that ship and had excellent service in the lounge even though there wasn't a bar in there.  We also cruised twice in Suites on the Equinox over the last 2 years in addition to this one.  So we have been in Suites a total of 4 times.  The prices have certainly gone up a lot.  We were very underwhelmed by the Retreat Lounge on this cruise and only visited there maybe four times the entire cruise.  We spent A LOT of time in the lounge when it was Michael's Club.  We went to the Retreat Sundeck only one time.  My husband has had too many bouts with skin cancer to not have any shade.  There are no bathrooms close by and finally after waiting for around 15 minutes I got up and had to go ask someone to get a drink for me.  We were very disappointed and no longer feel that the benefits of being in a Suite justify the cost.

We booked our next cruise on board for next April on Equinox but booked Aqua Class.  Suite class is no longer appealing for what they are charging.  

Didn't even realize that the suite deck didn't have any bathrooms.  Walked up looked around and left- My DH and I also cannot and will not tolerate direct sun.  He also had skin CA and we always sit and enjoy the shade.  I think that the deck was so poorly designed, that while the cruise ship is sailing- it should be updated to include a pool, hot tub and umbrellas-  A bar would also be appreciated.  Why wait for another dry dock?  It will turn off suite guests.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Didn't even realize that the suite deck didn't have any bathrooms.  Walked up looked around and left- My DH and I also cannot and will not tolerate direct sun.  He also had skin CA and we always sit and enjoy the shade.  I think that the deck was so poorly designed, that while the cruise ship is sailing- it should be updated to include a pool, hot tub and umbrellas-  A bar would also be appreciated.  Why wait for another dry dock?  It will turn off suite guests.

The old Solstice deck had no bathrooms so I probably wasn't expecting any. You need to go down two floors to get to the ones outside the conference rooms.

The new Retreat Deck reminds me of years ago when we wanted a no smoking table in a restaurant.  The host took us to a corner table  near the restrooms and  removed the ash tray from the table and said it now non smoking 

Place a sign on a area that not many used because of the wind and sun and designate it as a reserved section for the suite guests.    Feed the suite passengers  some more Kool Aid  to justify the extra costs.  

If anything they should have made the helipad the retreat area as it has a bar and everyone thinks it is such a special place to watch a sail away.  🙄.     It would at least utilize a area that is rarely used and not take much away from  the other passengers.   The only thing they would have to do is provide better access.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

And the Retreat Deck is inaccesible to many suite passengers on several ships with broken/ non- functioning mini elevators from the deck below.  The regular outdoor stair access is long, twisty, and a hard climb for many older folks.  Many have reported the area is poorly used on most ships for all of these reason posted on this thread.   What a waste!