Escape dry dock?

jimandami

Hi all!  I'm wondering if there is any way to know for certain when the Escape will go into dry dock?  I originally read fall 2020, but then read April 2021?  We are considering changing our December 2020 cruise from the Encore to the Escape, but we do not want to switch if the ropes course will have been removed from the Escape (which I just assume is occurring, but obviously isn't know for sure).  Also, any opinions on the switch are more than welcome.  We will be in the Haven either way, so not super concerned about open deck space, but my kids really enjoyed the ropes course and I do not think the go karts and laser tag will be as much of a hit.

No official informations at the moment. At fall 2020 there is only a gap with 5 days at the moment at two Southampton cruises. That should be not enough time for a big dry dock ( getaway was about 14 days ). So if they are not cancel cruises the next big gap is at spring 2021. 

27 minutes ago, hallux said:

When was the last one?  Add 5 years and you have the approximate timing for the next one, generally.

There hasn’t been a previous one, as the ship was launched in 2015.

We know that one is due because it will be 5 years next autumn. People are wondering when it will actually be, as in specific dates rather than just that it will be some time in 2020 or 2021.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steff79 said:

No official informations at the moment. At fall 2020 there is only a gap with 5 days at the moment at two Southampton cruises. That should be not enough time for a big dry dock ( getaway was about 14 days ). So if they are not cancel cruises the next big gap is at spring 2021. 

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, blcruising said:

I would get info on the drydock from NCL before booking. NCL has a track record of doing heavy construction on cruises immediately before and after a drydock. 

Thanks. Yes, I asked a PCC at NCL for the dates. He was not aware of dates. Planning not to sail right before or after for sure. 

I see the Epic is scheduled for an approx 2 week dry dock in late 2020. Generally speaking what happens in these dry docks?  Could a lot of work be done in two weeks like upgrades on the boat or would it only be a bit of paint and some minor touching up of the ship?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2019 at 9:27 PM, Rob32 said:

I see the Epic is scheduled for an approx 2 week dry dock in late 2020. Generally speaking what happens in these dry docks?  Could a lot of work be done in two weeks like upgrades on the boat or would it only be a bit of paint and some minor touching up of the ship?

The last Epic dry dock was a bit longer because they replaced two engines (cut a big hole in the side of the ship and remove and install new engines). But in that time, they demo’ed all of the public areas down to the deck plates and rebuilt them. And replaced a lot of the stateroom furniture and carpets. We sailed right after the dry dock and our cabin steward was retiling bathrooms until midnight before they picked us up. 

On 9/15/2019 at 4:58 PM, jimandami said:

We will be in the Haven either way, so not super concerned about open deck space, but my kids really enjoyed the ropes course and I do not think the go karts and laser tag will be as much of a hit.

Are you saying that the ropes course is being eliminated on the Escape ??

1 hour ago, kitty-sail said:

It’s not confirmed, but most people seem to think so.  They have added the go-karts to the last 3 ships of that caliber, so speculation is they will do the same in dry dock.

2 hours ago, jimandami said:

It’s not confirmed, but most people seem to think so.  They have added the go-karts to the last 3 ships of that caliber, so speculation is they will do the same in dry dock.

I'm betting it has to be with liability. I did the ropes course on the Escape a few yrs ago. Fun to try.  Wonder how many people would prefer go-karts over ropes ?

5 hours ago, kitty-sail said:

When we were on the Escape in April, the plans were undergoing engineering review and evaluation. So, it was more than random speculation. 

Edited by BirdTravels

• 3 months later...

We're considering the Escape for NYE 2020 but we're concerned about the potential changes. Go carts, laser tag and loss of deck space are deal breakers for us. Is there any way to find out about the changes before the drydock takes place or should we just wait until after to book? Seems like we'd be cutting it a little close if we wait until after 10/25.

• 1 year later...

seems that Escape is going into dry dock in May ( ship movements thread ),

let us pray that NCL don´t touch the H2O, no race track no bigger vibe.

informations and pics are welcome

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Steff79 said:

seems that Escape is going into dry dock in May ( ship movements thread ),

let us pray that NCL don´t touch the H2O, no race track no bigger vibe.

informations and pics are welcome

Given the current state of the industry, they will likely spend the minimum amount possible on required maintenance only.