So , are dogs allowed on cruise ships now ?

loman

Just off the Allure yesterday .

I saw 3 , possibly 4 little doggies on the cruise .

None were wearing service vests .

I saw little kids playing with one and petting it and the owner was pleased with the attention his cruise partner was getting .

I don't think service animals like to be handled by strangers.

I'm glad they weren't large dogs , but just give it time .

5 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Likely people passed them off as service animals to get them onboard, otherwise they wouldn’t be allowed. (Or they were in fact service animals.)

I certainly hope not! People that abuse and take advantage of things like this end up ruining it for those that really need it. You can usually tell a true service dog by his behavior. It’s against the law in Florida to pretend your dog is a service dog to gain access to air flights and other venues. I’ve heard plans are in the works to start cracking down on ppl who do so. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kidless said:

I certainly hope not! People that abuse and take advantage of things like this end up ruining it for those that really need it. You can usually tell a true service dog by his behavior. It’s against the law in Florida to pretend your dog is a service dog to gain access to air flights and other venues. I’ve heard plans are in the works to start cracking down on ppl who do so. 

And cruise ships also need to crack down on this abuse !!

• Like 13

I believe Royal did chaneg their policy and now does not allow emotional support animals, however this was for booking made after some specific date, which escapes me.  So it could be a year or more before all those cruises are finished.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Service dogs are not required to wear a vest or any particular type of harness.

A dog trained to alert to allergens, seizures, or blood sugar problems can be any breed, any size.

And there is no certification or paperwork to prove what these dogs do or do not do; so owners can claim anything, and cruise-lines, airports, hotels etc. can do nothing about it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And there is no certification or paperwork to prove what these dogs do or do not do; so owners can claim anything, and cruise-lines, airports, hotels etc. can do nothing about it. 

Well something needs to be done !!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Actually, businesses are allowed to ask two questions:

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The cruise line has the right to ask the service the animal performs, and if it's emortional support, they can deny the animal.

• Like 5

On my most recent cruise there was a support dog. When my wife asked if she could pet the dog, the woman simply replied, if we are both standing, "no, he is working." If we are both sitting and he is on the ground, he would love some attention.

Every time I saw said dog, he was always well behaved. I truly believe he was a support animal.

With that said, I am not a fan of people faking it just to get their "beloved" puppy on board. How would they feel if I brought my emotional Squirrel on the ship!? (Side note: I DO NOT HAVE A PET SQUIRREL!)

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

A law needs to be enforced  where companies can ask for paperwork on the dog. People do not have to show any proof of anything. And if it is asked the company can get fined. I am sick of all this crap where people need to take their animals everywhere. Stores, restaurants, planes, cruises, anywhere. 

• Like 21

4 minutes ago, renza said:

A law needs to be enforced  where companies can ask for paperwork on the dog. People do not have to show any proof of anything. And if it is asked the company can get fined. I am sick of all this crap where people need to take their animals everywhere. Stores, restaurants, planes, cruises, anywhere. 

People can easily fake paperwork.

• Like 1

I agree it's not easy to fake the paperwork.

Cruise lines require  - the appropriate form with the raised seal from the US Dept of Agriculture, along with the vet signature and license number and shot records.  The form must also state the dog had a physical recently (I think it's in the last 2 weeks).

Each port has requirements such as vet records indicating all shots up to date, rabies tag, etc.

Edited by Tee & Chilli

1 hour ago, Drock20J said:

On my most recent cruise there was a support dog. When my wife asked if she could pet the dog, the woman simply replied, if we are both standing, "no, he is working." If we are both sitting and he is on the ground, he would love some attention.

Every time I saw said dog, he was always well behaved. I truly believe he was a support animal.

With that said, I am not a fan of people faking it just to get their "beloved" puppy on board. How would they feel if I brought my emotional Squirrel on the ship!? (Side note: I DO NOT HAVE A PET SQUIRREL!)

Well fortunately Royal changed policy. No new bookings with Emotional Support Animals. Cant remember start date but will run out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Was on this same cruise and there certainly were at least 3 noticeable dogs. One thing I give the owners credit for is they weren't even trying to pretend they were anything else but their cutie pie pets. No fake vests and just walked them along the promenade like they were at home allowing anyone to pet them. I'm definitely taking my Great Dane next cruise, just hope he don't cover too many people in slobber at formal dinner. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On Symphony this summer I saw a very small "purse" type dog with owners walking around and getting ready to relax on loungers by the cantilevered hot tubs.  I admit I was thinking snarky thoughts!  A couple of days later, I saw the same couple again on loungers, woman was napping, and the little purse type dog was laying right next to her, looking very alert and not making any noise--was not also enjoying a nap.  I felt guilty about my snarky thoughts a few days earlier!  It would never have occurred to me that a tiny fluffy dog would be a service animal, but seeing it be so alert and quiet while the owner was napping, reminded me to not be so judgmental!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If the dog does not behave as a Service dog should - they should be removed at the next port and they can find their way home.  On my last cruise, I did not enjoy the dog poop in front of the elevators or the jumping on other passengers.  Some of the passengers that were jumped on were with walkers or canes.  The dog even jumped at people from behind - all of which can be very dangerous.  The dog was NOT aggressive - overly friendly (with diarrhea) and in my opinion, not a Service Dog.

THINGS SERVICE DOGS IN PUBLIC SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO:

"Jump, scratch, mouth or exhibit other “out of control” behavior. A Service Dog should NEVER exhibit rude, ill-mannered, untrained, or behaviors that are considered inappropriate or nuisances. They should NEVER infringe on other patron's personal space in a way that appears untrained or impolite."

“The American Disabilities Act gives a person with a disability the right to be accompanied by his or her service animal but covered entities are not required to allow the animal to sit or be fed at the table.”

• Like 6

2 hours ago, renza said:

No not when it is like a state license that is on record. 

I very much doubt that the cruise line would have the desire (or even the ability) to check "on record" licenses from what could be any of the 50 states.  Also, what about cruises originating in countries other than the U. S.?  What would the cruise line check in those cases?

2 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

I agree it's not easy to fake the paperwork.

Cruise lines require  - the appropriate form with the raised seal from the US Dept of Agriculture, along with the vet signature and license number and shot records.  The form must also state the dog had a physical recently (I think it's in the last 2 weeks).

Each port has requirements such as vet records indicating all shots up to date, rabies tag, etc.

Nowadays, these things are easily created/ordered online. I seriously doubt that the cruise line would cross check a vet's license number and signature, if they even could.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I read something on another website about airlines banding together and petitioning congress to adjust the ADA to prevent ESA's from coming on planes. There are changes in the works, which is long due.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1