Another cutback: no more theme nights at buffet & o'Sheehan's

fstuff1

I hope its not true.  The theme nights always packed them in for prime rib and ribs.
But its very possible FDR is cutting back yet again.  I noticed that even the Haven menus don't have shrimp as an appetizer for lunch anymore.  

Sad.  You cant get prime rib anymore but you can get a hot dog. 

🤪

Edited by david_sobe

I rather like the theme nights, but I suppose opinions vary.  Imagine the person with a seafood allergy would really hate to see a seafood theme night at the buffet...they might argue for a mixture of offerings rather than having a dominant one.  Maybe that is the logic behind the chef’s choice?

8 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I hope its not true.  The theme nights always packed them in for prime rib and ribs.
But its very possible FDR is cutting back yet again.  I noticed that even the Haven menus don't have shrimp as an appetizer for lunch anymore.  

Sad.  You cant get prime rib anymore but you can get a hot dog. 

🤪

In 2015 we had Lobster, as much as you'd like in the Haven, imagine that! My how far we've come in just 4 years.

So sad.Oh well crying and spilled milk and all I guess right?...

A few years ago I was on my 3rd trip on the Breakaway and was looking forward to theme night in O'Sheehans. I liked eating there because it's more relaxed for me.  I was very disappointed when I was told they stopped the prime rib and ribs.  I found out that on later sailings the theme nights were brought back.  I will be on the Bliss in November and hoping they will continue with theme night.  

Unfortunately NCL has cutbacks every couple of months. It is getting ridiculous. No towel animals, no ice buckets, no theme nights in free restaurants and no drink specials( I noticed that last cruise where I did not have the drink package). It keeps you wondering what will be cut next. The NCL cruise experience is getting less appealling. Looking at other cruiselines. I am platinum and never sailed anything but NCL. Looking now to see if I have been missing out on better products.

Just off the Escape and they had a different theme each night in the buffet, prime rib in the buffet (and O'Sheehans...not sure about MDRs) and daily drink specials.  Lobster in Cagneys.   As another poster mentioned, maybe  it depends on the ship. 

2 hours ago, darlene62 said:

A few years ago I was on my 3rd trip on the Breakaway and was looking forward to theme night in O'Sheehans. I liked eating there because it's more relaxed for me.  I was very disappointed when I was told they stopped the prime rib and ribs.  I found out that on later sailings the theme nights were brought back.  I will be on the Bliss in November and hoping they will continue with theme night.  

Off the Bliss in August, they had prime rib night. 

Just off the escape and both had theme nights. I think the bigger the ship the more they have to space out  the people in the five free restaurants. If you ever been in waiting in front of the  three main dinning rooms you seen the lady with placard  saying theme night in the other restaurant or buffet.

If my memory is correct, I remember the theme nights being reported discontinued a few years ago too.  Some ships had them while others did not.  Then everything went back to normal again.  Maybe a supply issue why some ships skip the theme nights for several cruises and then resume again.
I am hoping that is the case.  Besides being good food, the nightly specials also keep huge crowds away from the MDR since O'Sheehans/The Local serves as another MDR on those nights.

On my most recent cruise on the Star this July, the staff suspiciously did a good job advertising the theme nights. In my opinion, these theme nights actually save the cruise line money since they are encouraging you to eat at the buffet or O'Sheehans where the cost of food, labor, washing tablecloths/dishes is lower. Without the theme nights, more people would flood the main dining rooms. When you sit down at one of the main dining rooms, your expectations for the food, service, presentation, and atmosphere are higher. 

As others have noted, the theme nights seem to make the most sense when the ship is full and the main dining rooms are too small to handle the crowds. This was the case for my sailing, which was full, and I sometimes had to wait for a table at the MDR.

13 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Dawn (Sept 2019):

No more seafood,asian,Italian,BBQ,etc theme nights at buffet.

No more specialty baskets (ribs & shrimp, seafood,etc) at o'Sheehan's for dinner

😞

I think the O'Sheehan's specialty nights is not a new thing. They did away with that a while ago or at least others have been reporting about this for quite awhile. I don't know about all theme nights, but I am thinking Prime rib night. We will be on the Breakaway in Oct. It doesn't bother us one way of the other as we are not buffets customers, nor do we eat dinner at either place. I realize others will be disappointed .