Shots for Panama Canal Cruise

trbarton

Even during the Zika Virus scare a few years ago, no shots were required. Just make sure you bring some strong mosquito repellent. The only time we really needed it was in Costa Rica, where our excursion included trips on two canals. It was while riding a small boat on the canal at the sloth sanctuary that I saw the most "skeeters"....and boy were they were hungry!

We are seniors with various typical oldER people medical issues.

We did NOT need any shots for the Panama Canal trip.

Folks make mistakes when they look up things on the internet and see info about which shots are needed for staying in a country on land and not just visiting it for a day from a ship.

DO use insect repellent if you are going into the jungle somewhere.

Otherwise you are just fine without special shots.

Have never seen a mosquito on four Panama cruises.  Unless you are planning on spending significant time in the jungle shots aren't needed or recommended.  However, it is really up to you and your doctor.  I got the Hep A shots (2) because I like to eat local food (although I am careful about what I eat and where it was prepared).  Wife did not.  Had a lot of problems finding source for second shot.  Most local providers didn't have it and cost about $160 at doctor's office.  Costco had it for around $50.

37 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Have never seen a mosquito on four Panama cruises.  Unless you are planning on spending significant time in the jungle shots aren't needed or recommended.  However, it is really up to you and your doctor.  I got the Hep A shots (2) because I like to eat local food (although I am careful about what I eat and where it was prepared).  Wife did not.  Had a lot of problems finding source for second shot.  Most local providers didn't have it and cost about $160 at doctor's office.  Costco had it for around $50.

When I got Hep A shots (not for Panama Canal) I went to the local Walgreens Pharmacy. They did both shots there. The first one they didn't think my insurance would cover it so I paid but it turned out to be covered and I got reimbursed. The second shot I knew was covered.