Does Princess go to Venice??

lovey1103

5 minutes ago, KCsealegs said:

The larger ships are no longer allowed to dock in Venice. I believe the Pacific Princess is the only ship in the fleet that is still allowed? 

Yes and it is only a few times this year.

Since there are rumors of the Pacific leaving the fleet I don't know what the Venice plans are for future Pacific cruises after this year.

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah it is sad that the Pacific is the only Princess ship stopping there.

We have been there on the Regal/Island and quite a few others.

Us sailing the Pacific again......that would be a solid no.

It’s sad but Venice has little choice. Big problems coming to the cruise industry. Cannes has just banned cruise ships, Palma restricting numbers, plus lots of other ports too. Can see this being a major issue over the next few years 

• Like 1

I hadn't heard about Cannes being dropped as a port.  It was always a tender port (we've been there several times), so I wonder why they don't want cruise ships any longer.  We've also docked at Villefranche, just east of Nice, on a Celebrity ship.  From both ports we were able to visit the mountain town of St Paul de Vence, one of our favorite places.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 1:41 PM, BarbinMich said:

I hadn't heard about Cannes being dropped as a port.  It was always a tender port (we've been there several times), so I wonder why they don't want cruise ships any longer.  We've also docked at Villefranche, just east of Nice, on a Celebrity ship.  From both ports we were able to visit the mountain town of St Paul de Vence, one of our favorite places.

The issue is being debated.  But it is not just Cannes but plenty of other ports including Venice, Santorini, Dubrovnik, Charleston (USA), La Spezia, and more.  The reasons they do not want cruise ships vary but it often has to do with pollution, overtourism, disruption of local norms, and surprisingly the lack of spending by cruise ship passengers.   The issue has really been brought to new levels because of huge size of many new ships.  While a 1200 passenger ship might be welcome (or tolerated) a 4000 passenger ship is seen as a blight on the landscape.  We predict the situation is going to get rapidly worse as more larger ships enter the market.

Hank

• Like 3

On 9/26/2019 at 10:54 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes and it is only a few times this year.

Since there are rumors of the Pacific leaving the fleet I don't know what the Venice plans are for future Pacific cruises after this year.

The rumors of the Pacific leaving are unfounded according to Princess UK ceo Tony Roberts, he recently tweeted there are no plans to sell the Pacific Princess. 

• Like 1

There's one in a couple of months on the Pacific Princess. We're boarding in Venice, spending the night there, and sailing the following day on a 29 day VCE to FLL itinerary.

In reviewing the cruise atlas for 2020- May, 2021, the Pacific Princess is scheduled thru May 2021.

We have visited Venice three times on Princess. Really enjoyed those. Twice as an original embarkation port and once an intermediate. The Pacific Princess was the ship we were on when for the cruises that originated there. We just had a 35 day cruise scheduled for a year from this November canceled out from under us on the Pacific Princess. Stein Kruse, head of the Holland American Group, is the dude you have to watch and listen to when it comes to the future of the Pacific Princess. I believe Kruse is postured to get rid of it.  As far as Tony Roberts, I thought he was some sort of V.P. not a CEO.

• Like 1

I was discussing this issue when the 2021 itineraries got released. It seems that Princess is one of the few cruise lines that does not have a ship in Venice in a regular basis. They have Island, Coral, Sea, Sun and Pacific Princess they could base in Venice but still they don't seem interested. And on Eastern Med they only have a few itineraries on Enchanted Princess with very restricted destinations. Princess is losing ground in the Med compared to the other cruise lines...

Many long-time Princess cruisers enjoy(ed) Princess because of the many unique itineraries that it used to have.

Now, almost every itinerary is essentially a duplicate of what other cruise lines offer.

With Princess we have been to places as varied as Manaus (Brazil), Volos (Greece), Royale Island (French Guiana), Varna (Bulgaria), Nuku Hiva (Marquesas Islands), and more.

If you want a cruise to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and a private Island, Princess can bring you there. But so can all their competitors. If you want to cruise to Manaus, well, you just can't do that on Princess anymore.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:40 PM, Hlitner said:

4000 passenger ship is seen as a blight on the landscape.  We predict the situation is going to get rapidly worse as more larger ships enter the market.

Hank

I don't want to be anywhere with that many people. The one good thing about the Royal Caribbean Mega ships is that they are limited to were they can go and don't even tender. Cruising is becoming more and more less desirable with these larger ships.  The ships are becoming the destination which creates more revenue for the cruise line and the itineraries are just meh...