The end of NCL? Andy Stuart is gone.

TheDougOut

11 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

Apparently as of January, 2020.  

A sad, sad day.

Retirement  ? He'll  lynch me for this but I'm guessing  he's reached that age. 

Edited by simonaitch
Addition

I'm surprised people on CC aren't rejoicing. The vast majority of the changes/policies/decisions made at NCL the past several years for which people complain about Frank Del Rio were actually made by Andy.

I like the guy and hate to see him go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LrgPizza said:

I'm surprised people on CC aren't rejoicing. The vast majority of the changes/policies/decisions made at NCL the past several years for which people complain about Frank Del Rio were actually made by Andy.

I like the guy and hate to see him go.

I don’t think anyone (here) knows where the less-than-favorable decisions were made.  From my perspective, there was a distinct change in direction when Stuart started reporting to Del Rio in 2015.

• Like 4

Just now, TheDougOut said:

I don’t think anyone (here) knows where the less-than-favorable decisions were made.  From my perspective, there was a distinct change in direction when Stuart started reporting to Del Rio in 2015.

I agree. Let’s face it, Del Rio is a CPA, and all they look at is the bottom line, not guest satisfaction. Bean counters are the worst at taking the fun out of everything and making it all about profit. I know from personal experience!

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

This is the correct answer. 

I don't think NCL will completely go the route of Oceania. Certainly, they will do whatever is most profitable. I expect NCL to acquire a new cruise line in the next 5 years. 

Best wishes to Andy. 

• Like 1

Nowhere does it say “retirement” which indicates it might be forced.  I hope not. Andy is a great guy and has been part of NCL for decades.  He worked his way up and truly deserved to run NCL.  

I wish the announcement was about del Rio.  I would have zero issues with him stepping down. Probably my least favorite CEO of any cruise company.  

• Like 7

Any time a CEO changes in a company - things change. Depending on the CEO and the reason why they're now CEO the changes could be BIG changes to the customer facing aspects or you could barely notice a change because 99% of it is internal. 

Since the new president is in-house that usually indicates it will likely be less of the sweeping changes, but since he's coming from the parent company and not NCL there's good odds that the move is to make NCL more in line with the parent company ie more what Del Rio wants. 

I don't personally associate the cruises directly with whoever is the CEO, but I've also worked in business long enough to know that the CEO has a direct influence on the direction the company makes. It remains to be seen what direction Sommer with move it. 

• Like 2

This is a stockholder owned and publicly traded company.  It only has one purpose and that is to maximize profits.  That's what it is about and why it exists.  They offer the product by balancing what will sell best with what keeps expenses down, again to maximize profit.  That's all it's about.  And then we, the consumer, buy the product...or not...depending on how we perceive the value.  It's not personal.    

• Like 3

It think many decisions in the past was made by del rio, look at encore, the hull art, the race track was a decision by del rio. 

The only think what is sure, that del rio wants to make more money with Ncl ( that means that we have to pay more). In what way, we will see. I think more nickel and dime. 

The ncl with Kevin Sheehan was much more Sympathetic then under del rio now. 

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, justhappy said:

No, of course I don’t. My concern is for the continuation of the policies of the leadership of the cruise line and the direction they seem to be leading the company in.

Less free sundeck space in leu of pay to play laser tag venue is just one example.

Raising cruise fares while delivering a less than perfect product is another.

Based on this....  then you should be happy that Andy is stepping down because with him gone maybe the continuation and direction of the policies that deliver a less than perfect product have a chance to turn around....   it's not all FDR with Andy being a puppet 

• Like 1