Favorite RCI desserts?

chrismch

We diet in advance of any cruise so we can indulge a bit while on vacation. My DH and I started chatting about our favorite foods on cruises and realized we couldn't recall a favorite dessert. We could name our favorite pastries in the a.m., but no evening desserts stuck out. What have we been missing that are your faves on RCI?

59 minutes ago, chrismch said:

We diet in advance of any cruise so we can indulge a bit while on vacation. My DH and I started chatting about our favorite foods on cruises and realized we couldn't recall a favorite dessert. We could name our favorite pastries in the a.m., but no evening desserts stuck out. What have we been missing that are your faves on RCI?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2693540-best-dining-room-dinners-and-desserts/?do=findComment&comment=58293576

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2557528-favorite-dessert/?do=findComment&comment=55130736

3 hours ago, flamingos said:

Grand Mariner soufflé with vanilla sauce.

Coconut ranger cookies are a close second. 

I've been on the Anthem in September and just got off her again this morning. The grand mariner shuffle was not served on either sailing. I don't know if it not being offered any more on this ship, or is it fleetwide.

I used to absolutely love the key lime pie but on our last cruise on Harmony last month, it was horrible; piled high with meringue.   We’ll see if the change is fleet wide when we’re on Anthem next month.

I do enjoy the soufflés.  

coconut ranger cookies for a small lunch dessert or afternoon treat

key lime pie in MDR

lemon meringue cheesecake at Jamie's

molten chocolate lava cake at Cops

I keep hearing how good the apple pie is in the MDR so gonna try that one night next time.

41 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

I used to absolutely love the key lime pie but on our last cruise on Harmony last month, it was horrible; piled high with meringue. ...

I thought I read a report here that indicated they were no longer making the Key Lime pie onboard, that it was a purchased item now.

On 10/20/2019 at 6:05 AM, YlangYlangF9PB3E said:

Bread pudding! Usually served once per cruise in Windjammer at lunch. Can’t remember the last time it was on the menu in MDR at dinner.

Agreed.

Bread pudding and cookies are consistently good.

Pies are not bad.  Cakes tend to look great, but not taste that great.  But sometimes there is a good one.  So you have to try them. 😄

On 10/20/2019 at 1:29 AM, mets123 said:

I've been on the Anthem in September and just got off her again this morning. The grand mariner shuffle was not served on either sailing. I don't know if it not being offered any more on this ship, or is it fleetwide.

We had it on Serenade last week, will be on Anthem in December again, will have to see if they have it.

I've never been a fan of bread pudding, but I'm constantly seeing this as a favorite not only on cruises but on land restaurants as well. For me, it's a texture thing. I just don't like it or tapioca pudding or drinks with tapioca pearls.

The best Key Lime Pie I've ever had is at J Alexander's and the best carrot cake is from Mc Alisters. I judge all other versions by these. 

11 minutes ago, chrismch said:

I've never been a fan of bread pudding, but I'm constantly seeing this as a favorite not only on cruises but on land restaurants as well. For me, it's a texture thing. I just don't like it or tapioca pudding or drinks with tapioca pearls.

Bread pudding runs the gamut from very creamy and custardy to fairly dry and bready.  

I don't see any relationship between bread pudding and tapioca containing desserts :classic_huh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SRF said:

Bread pudding runs the gamut from very creamy and custardy to fairly dry and bready.  

Agree..it's like a casserole version of french toast, which is also different everywhere you get it.  Sometimes it's dry and sometime it is wet and eggy.

• Like 1