QUACK..HIDING OF THE DUCKS

MamaTene

Hi just returned from Anthem of the Seas and had wonderful time. Highlight was hiding and finding the ducks. We sail Brilliance in Sept of 2020 and looking forward to seeing the smiles of the kiddos when they find their buddies.

OP, there are other threads regarding this topic posted on CC that will provide virtually every opinion along the scale of good to bad about this subject - likely yours will head down the same path.  Just forewarning you in case the potential voracity of individuals' positions about this would catch you off guard.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, MamaTene said:

Hi just returned from Anthem of the Seas and had wonderful time. Highlight was hiding and finding the ducks. We sail Brilliance in Sept of 2020 and looking forward to seeing the smiles of the kiddos when they find their buddies.

Why are you leaving items for children you don't know?

I don't see why people are concerned if someone does this. It isn't hurting anyone.

1 hour ago, clo said:

You don't really mean that, do you?

Seriously, you haven't read the other posts as much as you post on here?

18 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why are you leaving items for children you don't know?

I'm sure it's a cute little surprise for them. They have notes attached to them that explains what they are for.

• Like 1

Maybe it also speaks to the fact that the cruiseline isn't cleaning all the areas of the ship as they are supposed to.

Perhaps the next time, the duck will be a carrier of some infectious ailment.

Personally, I want to be on a cruiseline where ALL areas are regularly cleaned and inspected.  Thank you for letting me know that Royal Caribbean leaves much to be desired in that regard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Seriously, you haven't read the other posts as much as you post on here?

I have no idea what the ducks are about or why someone is hiding them.  I never even glance at most of the boards.

3 minutes ago, crazyank said:

any duck I see goes straight in the nearest trash can.  Don't know who has been handling it and I certainly don't want my grandchildren playing with something a stranger has left behind.

So it's your job now to clean up the ship? How would you know some other child didn't leave it there accidentally and would come looking for it? Teach your kids to not pick up things that don't belong to them! Problem solved. It's called parenting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Maybe it also speaks to the fact that the cruiseline isn't cleaning all the areas of the ship as they are supposed to.

Personally, I want to be on a cruiseline where ALL areas are regularly cleaned and inspected.  Thank you for letting me know that Royal Caribbean leaves much to be desired in that regard.

Like the airplanes are cleaned???  :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Had to pause after reading this -  my eyes rolled so hard at this that they got stuck for a minute.

Perhaps it speaks to crew with a sense of humor who see the rubber ducks, clean the area, and then replace the little things. It's not as if we're dealing with a tribble-like explosion of them.

Ah yes, the source of the next great pandemic. Because no one would ever think to just give it a wash  with soap and water before giving it to a child to play with. 

Personally I want to be on a cruise line where ALL the pax aren't cantankerous old curmudgeons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

So it's your job now to clean up the ship? How would you know some other child didn't leave it there accidentally and would come looking for it? Teach your kids to not pick up things that don't belong to them! Problem solved. It's called parenting.

Are you saying that it is good or bad for children to pick up items that do not belong to them?  By these comment, children should not be taking any duck since it isn't kids leaving them to be found.  These strangers are leaving toys for children to find, some with some with notes encouraging "finders" to contact them on the internet.  That is called grooming.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyank said:

any duck I see goes straight in the nearest trash can.  Don't know who has been handling it and I certainly don't want my grandchildren playing with something a stranger has left behind.

How would you then feel about your grandkids contacting the people who leave these ducks behind with information on the ducks leading them to a social media site?  That should give a parent the "willys".  

I'll bet you didn't let your kids trick or treat at Halloween, either. Not everyone who wants to put a little fun in a child's day is a pervert. Do you consider Santa Claus to be a pedo? I would hate to live a life assuming the worst of the motives of everyone else in the world.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

These strangers are leaving toys for children to find, some with some with notes encouraging "finders" to contact them on the internet.  

Wait.  Strangers are leaving toys for children with notes encouraging the finders to contact them on the internet?  😲

Am I the only one who sees a problem with this? 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

What a sad state of affairs when people criticize a harmless passtime.  On FB there are scores of groups that are associated with this passtime.  We got notified by a parent about how happy they and there childeren were when they found a duck we had hidden.  Another passenger on a later cruise (an adult by the way) posted about how she took the duck home with her and poste a picture of it hiding in the grass.  If you don't like the idea, don't play.  But leave the OP alone.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Wait.  Strangers are leaving toys for children with notes encouraging the finders to contact them on the internet?  😲

I have never left any ducks. Thought about it, but just never got around to it. IIRC the person can post on a website where and when the duck was found. The parents can be the ones posting. 

8 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

By the way, the attached card does not provide any incitive to contact the individual, but to post to a FB group that they found the duck.  There is never a request for any information that might connect the childeren, or adults to the one that hid the duck.  At least get your facts straight.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, misguy said:

By the way, the attached card does not provide any incitive to contact the individual, but to post to a FB group that they found the duck.  There is never a request for any information that might connect the childeren, or adults to the one that hid the duck.  At least get your facts straight.

Chill out.  I was responding to a specific post that said something very different from what you just said.  If anything, tell them to get their facts straight.  

But on that note, how in the world do you know that every single person leaving a duck is leaving instructions to post on a FB page and not some other means?  How could you possibly know that?  

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, misguy said:

11 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Chill out.  I was responding to a specific post that said something very different from what you just said.  If anything, tell them to get their facts straight.  

But on that note, how in the world do you know that every single person leaving a duck is leaving instructions to post on a FB page and not some other means?  How could you possibly know that?  

Darn good thing there is no way that posting to a Facebook group would allow direct messaging to children...oh wait a minute...  Let me guess what the typical post is?  Here is a photo of my smiling child poolside holding your duck we found on the Titanic! We can't wait to look for more ducks on our cruise  (insert ship name and date). You don't see a problem?  

This activity isn't kids leaving ducks for kids in kid areas.  It is adult strangers leaving them in adult areas for kids.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Astonishing, isn’t it?  Why would any parent be ok with this? 

• Like 3