Hard, uncomfortable beds on Vision of the Seas

Lou33

We just returned from a cruise on Vision of the Seas (outside stateroom category) and we were very surprised to find mattresses that are so hard and uncomfortable.  Apparently they just refurbished Vision of the Seas about a year ago, and it is in great condition.  But the new mattresses are so uncomfortable.  I have back issues and I need to sleep on my side.  As a result, I suffered in pain for much of what was otherwise a great cruise.  The cabin attendant said that no foam mattress toppers were available.  He tried adding two layers of comforters for padding, but that didn't help.  He admitted that since the new mattresses were installed that a lot of people have been complaining that the beds are too hard.   We have done 14 cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Princess and I remember the mattresses being quite comfortable, especially in the last 10 years.  I don't remember ever having a mattress that was so hard.  Even at a Motel 6.  The person at Royal Caribbean who made the decision to select the new hard mattresses should be fired.  

My question is: Are the hard mattresses the new standard across the Royal Caribbean fleet?   If so, that may be a deal breaker for us on future cruises.  Which cruise line has the most comfortable beds?

We were on Freedom Of The Seas a couple years ago and felt the same about the firm mattresses.  I am also a side sleeper and firm mattresses do not work well for side sleepers.  We are going to purchase the small camping air mattresses to see if they help on our next cruise. 

Hmmm.  Not us.  We have preordered a mattress topper from Walmart to pick up on the way to the pier this week.  I’ll just leave it behind when we go.  If the steward doesn’t want it Royal will have to dispose it.  My shoulders and hips get sore from the hard beds.

I’ve looked at the klymite? air mattresses on Amazon.  They look really narrow. If you put 2 on a king do they cover the whole mattress?  I don’t want to roll off in the night into a “crack”.

Just came back from Anthem yesterday. I was in pain the whole time. I felt like I was beaten with sticks every night.  I felt the same on Adventure  in May. I heard another lady in the hallway complaining to her family about the same thing. I thought initially it was an isolated incident on Adventure but after Anthem for the last two weeks it was the most painful experience for me. I asked the cabin attendant to put something underneath. He tried  but it did not help. I am now concerned for our future cruises that we have booked on Adventure. I don’t know how to solve this mattress problem. Prior to this May trip on Adventure I never had a problem with this. I am in a way glad to hear that I am not the only one feeling this way because I was starting to think I am nuts. 

This was a common complaint a couple of years ago when the mattresses on the Freedom were swapped out.  I used to have the best nights sleep on RCCL ships.  Unfortunately, that is no longer the case with their rock hard mattresses.  We always end up having the cabin steward put several comforters beneath us on our bed, but it is still nowhere as comfortable as the older beds were.

We take our own queen size memory foam mattress topper with us on all our cruises now.  It even has it's own suitcase.  A 3" queen size topper folded lengthwise, then rolled will stuff into a 28" soft-sided suitcase.  It's worth the luggage charge, except on SW.  Always a comfy bed.

We were on the Vision this past May and the Adventure last month. Both times in a JS and I certainly prefer a soft mattress ... however with an extra padded comforter we found both to be comfortable. The bed on Adventure was actually cozy/comfortable. We certainly missed that feeling when we stayed a few days post cruise at the Hyatt Place in Ft. Lauderdale..very hard mattress there compared to the ship.

Perhaps we lucked out on both ships.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:02 PM, cruisinfanatic said:

Those hard mattresses will likely hold up much better down the road than starting with softer ones. If Royal bought new mattresses that were soft, just as many complainers would be whining that they are not hard enough.

Yes, they may hold up better in the long run.  And that may be a big reason why they bought them.

I disagree with your second statement.  I had the hardest most uncomfortable mattress ever in my life.  No decent hotel would ever use mattresses like that.  They would lose all of their business.  

YES, their mattresses are like laying on concrete.  We can speak for Liberty, Freedom, Anthem, and Allure.  We brought our own memory foam toppers.  I write this on every review after we exit the ship. These ships are not cheap to sail on, one would think a comfortable mattress wouldn't be difficult to provide.  Not the case for RC. 😣

On 11/5/2019 at 9:07 PM, Lou33 said:

Yes, they may hold up better in the long run.  And that may be a big reason why they bought them.

I disagree with your second statement.  I had the hardest most uncomfortable mattress ever in my life.  No decent hotel would ever use mattresses like that.  They would lose all of their business.  

I would say mattress preferences are just as subjective like taste and Food Ratings. While you - unfortunately - have a Sleep Problem with those mattresses I have the best Sleep on them. I love those firm mattresses. 

If everybody liked soft they wouldn´t sell firm ones. I´m Pretty sure there will be statistics out there referencing the People who like firm and those who like soft mattresses. I know People not asking for mattress toppers to soften it, but asking for a wooden board to be placed under the mattress to make it more firm.

4 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

I would say mattress preferences are just as subjective like taste and Food Ratings. While you - unfortunately - have a Sleep Problem with those mattresses I have the best Sleep on them. I love those firm mattresses. 

If everybody liked soft they wouldn´t sell firm ones. I´m Pretty sure there will be statistics out there referencing the People who like firm and those who like soft mattresses. I know People not asking for mattress toppers to soften it, but asking for a wooden board to be placed under the mattress to make it more firm.

Yes there are some people who prefer extra firm mattresses.  My point was that if a person prefers the rock hard mattress that I had on Vision of the Seas, then they must really suffer when they go to any decent hotel.  I have never had a mattress that hard and uncomfortable at any hotel, even a Motel 6.

Edited by Lou33
  • Like 1

Last TA I ended up with bruises on my hips the mattress was so hard.  Got those the first 2 nights even with extra comforters under the mattress.  For the next 14 nights I took the cushions off the sofa every night and put them on top of the mattress and under the sheet.  Still slept horribly.  Some nights I just slept (fitfully) on the sofa.  Thank goodness we had the drink package to help take the edge off my misery!  We've got a TA and a TP coming up as well as a short trip and have purchased Klymits to take.  They are easy to blow up (maybe 10 puffs is all).  Granted they're individual size and hopefully we won't roll off into the crack but it just HAS to be better than nothing!  I slept better on a cot in a tent years ago when we camped with the boys.

• 7 months later...

The beds on Ovation last year were dreadful. Agree with those who say it’s a preference, but a too hard bed can actually be harmful. Royal have made a bad choice IMHO 🤔

Mattress

A good mattress is fundamental when it comes to good quality sleep. The wrong mattress will cause discomfort, making you spend more time tossing and turning and causing you to shift between light sleep and wakefulness. This means that you’ll be spending less time in refreshing deep and REM sleep.

Sleep School research suggests that there is a variation in people’s preferences when it comes to mattress firmness, with most people (46%) preferring a medium-firm mattress. Personal preferences over firmness can depend on many factors. For example, those who are overweight, have back pain or sleep on their front or back, will most likely benefit more from a firmer mattress. Equally, if you sleep on your side, or are a lighter individual then you may prefer a softer mattress.

928911CF-C1D6-47A2-AC99-2AD2B581F896.png

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

Can't please everyone, really no way. Royals are Medium Firm, few yrs ago were "Firm". On 2 different Ships that yr as they replaced all Ship's Mattresses, was when all the Complaints on here... Me, was any less Firm would rather sleep on Couch or better yet the Floor

Edited by ONECRUISER

• 1 year later...
On 11/2/2019 at 6:30 PM, Lou33 said:

We just returned from a cruise on Vision of the Seas (outside stateroom category) and we were very surprised to find mattresses that are so hard and uncomfortable.  Apparently they just refurbished Vision of the Seas about a year ago, and it is in great condition.  But the new mattresses are so uncomfortable.  I have back issues and I need to sleep on my side.  As a result, I suffered in pain for much of what was otherwise a great cruise.  The cabin attendant said that no foam mattress toppers were available.  He tried adding two layers of comforters for padding, but that didn't help.  He admitted that since the new mattresses were installed that a lot of people have been complaining that the beds are too hard.   We have done 14 cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Princess and I remember the mattresses being quite comfortable, especially in the last 10 years.  I don't remember ever having a mattress that was so hard.  Even at a Motel 6.  The person at Royal Caribbean who made the decision to select the new hard mattresses should be fired.  

My question is: Are the hard mattresses the new standard across the Royal Caribbean fleet?   If so, that may be a deal breaker for us on future cruises.  Which cruise line has the most comfortable beds?

Holland America has awesome beds. European pillow tops. They sre frm but cushy.

On 6/24/2020 at 11:55 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Can't please everyone, really no way. Royals are Medium Firm, few yrs ago were "Firm". On 2 different Ships that yr as they replaced all Ship's Mattresses, was when all the Complaints on here... Me, was any less Firm would rather sleep on Couch or better yet the Floor

I beg to differ. Royal mattresses are not medium firm. They are hard as a rock. The couch in our cabin on the Liberty of the Seas was much softer. Same on Enchantment. The beds are torture. If I didn't live in Texas, I probably wouldn't cruise with them. 

29 minutes ago, Ms3050 said:

I beg to differ. Royal mattresses are not medium firm. They are hard as a rock. The couch in our cabin on the Liberty of the Seas was much softer. Same on Enchantment. The beds are torture. If I didn't live in Texas, I probably wouldn't cruise with them. 

As said previous a few yrs ago they were replaced with not as Firm, had too many complaints before. This went on here for couple yrs. Was on B4B 40+ days when they did whole Ship, so one week hard as Rock, next not so hard.

Edited by ONECRUISER