What the heck is a president’s cruise?

meghan74

39 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Nothing that I can see.  It's quite a treat starting the cruise already in the Caribbean. 

Based on this forum recommendations, I've booked a S.C. cruise out of PR, and I've enjoyed this port intensive itinerary very much - 5 different islands was quite a treat. And visiting SJ was indeed a bonus.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Based on this forum recommendations, I've booked a S.C. cruise out of PR, and I've enjoyed this port intensive itinerary very much - 5 different islands was quite a treat. And visiting SJ was indeed a bonus.

Agree, and excellent local food too!

• Like 1

I was a simple diamond on the Presidents cruise. And I had drinks sand dining so was never up in the crowded lounge. Seems like I may have missed out on some mingling but I had a great cruise. I am curious how it will work on this ship  with so many port days. There were tons of activities on the the 3 sea days. Seems like there will not be room. I know I will not be buying drinks or dining, too many ports. If you like activities, like slides and flowrider and such, there were very few lines at all. ( Much older crowd)

The great advantage out of sailing out of PR is the fact that if you only have one week, you can visit the Islands of the Southern Caribbean which IMO are the nicest.  PR is a fun Island also if you can spend a few days before or after the cruise on the island. 

Unfortunately due to the hurricane they suffered a couple of years ago, the economy suffered and the people could use tourist support. 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:31 PM, FLACRUISER99 said:

At one time it was also known as the members cruise.

We did a members cruise one, purely coincidence as we had booked the cruise and then the members cruise was announced a few weeks later.  We said never again. We had just made D and were in a GS.  We utilized the CL (Explorer) and because there were so many D+ and Pinnacle onboard, they were constantly being sucked up to.  We said never again and we haven't.  I would say the perspective between a P's opinion on a President's cruise and a lower status cruiser is very different.  Other than the fact we got a gift everyday, including shoe bags that we take our swim shoes in on  every trip and tote bags we use also, it was just a cruise with a lot more upper tier and extra staff to cater to them onboard.  They brought in RCI employees to help meet and greet.  We saw the worst behaved P's we have ever seen on that trip, including one guy who thought the way to get what he wanted was to snap his fingers and yell across the room.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

We saw the worst behaved P's we have ever seen on that trip, including one guy who thought the way to get what he wanted was to snap his fingers and yell across the room.  

I am quite sure that guy was a jerk as a gold member as well.  He is probably the type that honks at you in traffic, runs his cart into you at the line in Walmart if you are not moving fast enough, and cuts in front of you at Disney World.  

99% of the Pinnies I meet are nice people and very helpful.  IMHO...I would never associate a whole level of cruise loving C&A members with the rude actions of the minority.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I am quite sure that guy was a jerk as a gold member as well.  He is probably the type that honks at you in traffic, runs his cart into you at the line in Walmart if you are not moving fast enough, and cuts in front of you at Disney World.  

99% of the Pinnies I meet are nice people and very helpful.  IMHO...I would never associate a whole level of cruise loving C&A members with the rude actions of the minority.  

He was one example.  The demand on the concierge and other staff members time meant that anyone on that trip who was in a suite didn't get the level of service that normally goes along with it.  It just wasn't worth what we observed and dealt with.  Funny story, we met a german couple and talked to them for a bit. They were D+ and when we said we were D, they said "what are you doing in the CL"?  I explained that we were in a GS, but they still acted like we shouldn't be there if we weren't D+ or P.  It was just overall probably the least enjoyable cruise we had.  So, we decided no more member's cruises.  My point was, with all the higher level C&A members on those types of cruises, it changes a lot of the dynamics and our experience wasn't what it had been on our other Ex cruises in GS.  We did 4 on EX in GS and that was by far the least enjoyable.  And, we are hardly high maintenance.  We don't ask the concierge for much of anything and don't expect special treatment, but when you sit there for 25 minutes while the P's are served their drinks over and over again and fawned over, it's just not worth what the GS cost us.  My original point was also that a P's experience on a President's cruise is going to be a lot different than a lower tier C&A member's.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BND said:

He was one example.  The demand on the concierge and other staff members time meant that anyone on that trip who was in a suite didn't get the level of service that normally goes along with it.  It just wasn't worth what we observed and dealt with.  Funny story, we met a german couple and talked to them for a bit. They were D+ and when we said we were D, they said "what are you doing in the CL"?  I explained that we were in a GS, but they still acted like we shouldn't be there if we weren't D+ or P.  It was just overall probably the least enjoyable cruise we had.  So, we decided no more member's cruises.  My point was, with all the higher level C&A members on those types of cruises, it changes a lot of the dynamics and our experience wasn't what it had been on our other Ex cruises in GS.  We did 4 on EX in GS and that was by far the least enjoyable.  And, we are hardly high maintenance.  We don't ask the concierge for much of anything and don't expect special treatment, but when you sit there for 25 minutes while the P's are served their drinks over and over again and fawned over, it's just not worth what the GS cost us.  My original point was also that a P's experience on a President's cruise is going to be a lot different than a lower tier C&A member's.

Sounds like you had the unfortunate experience of meeting nasty "entitled" people.  We aren't Diamond plus yet- but do sail in suites.  Never experienced nasty guest in the suite lounge.  The suite deck, if on one of the ships that have them is wonderful- we liked the "free" cabanas-when available and the relative peace of the deck.  Also enjoyed breakfast some lunches and dinners in the suite dining room.  We also enjoy the extra space that a suite offers.

43 minutes ago, BND said:

I am sorry that you were treated so badly.  I sure can't blame you for wanting to opt out of the Members/President's cruise.  You certainly have every right to your opinion, due to what you personally experienced.  Such a shame.  

I had a similar experience one day at the "meal with an officer".  A bragging self proclaimed freshly minted Pinnacle (who was there and not at the P lunch due to her friend not making P yet) was complaining loudly that she could not get her choice of reservations in CK.   I mentioned to another table mate that we were happy to get our choice of 6:30 every night.  She barked at me and proclaimed "How did YOU get reservations in there every night...YOU are not even Pinnacle".   I just looked at her in shock, smiled, and told her we were in a GS.  

She would be the in 1% group of not so nice Pinnies I hope to never have to sit near again.  😉   

12 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Sounds like you had the unfortunate experience of meeting nasty "entitled" people.  We aren't Diamond plus yet- but do sail in suites.  Never experienced nasty guest in the suite lounge.  The suite deck, if on one of the ships that have them is wonderful- we liked the "free" cabanas-when available and the relative peace of the deck.  Also enjoyed breakfast some lunches and dinners in the suite dining room.  We also enjoy the extra space that a suite offers.

Well, our experiences otherwise with all levels have been good including our times when we have had a GS. I think the idea of a members/President's cruise brings out the worst in some people and the a** kissing of some staff.  We now always stay in JS and since we're D+ we use CL's when we're on ships that have them.  And, our experiences are really good.  We have encountered some P's that don't mingle with other guests, but not a big deal.  And, then there's always the guests who think the concierge is theirs lol.  We just won't go on another special cruise like that.  

8 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

The great advantage out of sailing out of PR is the fact that if you only have one week, you can visit the Islands of the Southern Caribbean which IMO are the nicest.  PR is a fun Island also if you can spend a few days before or after the cruise on the island. 

Unfortunately due to the hurricane they suffered a couple of years ago, the economy suffered and the people could use tourist support. 

Adventure does an 8 day out of Ft Lauderdale that does all three ABC's and has 4 sea days.

It goes from Saturday to Sunday

The SJ itineraries are port heavy, only 1 sea day in most cases

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Have you ever been in a suite during a Members or President's sailing?

If not, you are comparing apples to oranges

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Adventure does an 8 day out of Ft Lauderdale that does all three ABC's and has 4 sea days.

However, I sailed on the Adventure out of NY and had a poor experience- do not like the ship- least favorite RC vessel.

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not sure if another ship is doing the 10/11 night cruises to the ABCs from Ft. Lauderdale ( as Serenade is doing again for 2020) in the winter season for 2021?  That is a nice itinerary also, with not involving a flight.  

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

However, I sailed on the Adventure out of NY and had a poor experience- do not like the ship- least favorite RC vessel.

Interesting, Adventure is one of our favorites.