Jewel Dubai 2021 Cancelled

mugtech

7 hours ago, mugtech said:

April 7, 2021, Barcelona to Amsterdam still listed, but nothing for May.  Was speculated as dry dock since the schedule picks up again in June.  NCL still has a Dubai to Europe 22 days listed for March, 2021.  They are more famous for last minute cancelations but at least all three of my RCI cancelations have been more than a year ahead of embarcation dates.

As of last month, after the Barcelona to Amsterdam cruise, there was a short dry dock to put in spa cabins, according to the NextCruise person on the Rhapsody of the Seas.

We booked Barcelona to Amsterdam as a follow-on to the Dubai to Barcelona cruise. We will probably cancel it, as the Suez Canal was the real attraction. We had cabin 1100. Weep.

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Combined with low booking numbers?

Next months' sailings were selling for less than $300pp on the RCI UK site, the 16 day repo for less than $1000pp, the 2021 numbers were headed for the same - RCI probably thinks it can make more money elsewhere.

Edited by Biker19

9 hours ago, little britain said:

Jewel to Southampton for winter season.. perfect ship for it?

Or reroute her to open the South African market? 

LB who is ever hopeful! 

Taking on MSC and NCL, that'd be nice...

40 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Next months' sailings were selling for less than $300pp on the RCI UK site, the 16 day repo for less than $1000pp, the 2021 numbers were headed for the same - RCI probably thinks it can make more money elsewhere.

There are 45 1D balconies left - that is just counting one category - for the 1/27 sailing.  Looks like enough sun loungers to go around!

We are in Cape Town just now & it would be a perfect place to base the ship! New cruise terminal right in the city at the Victoria & Alfred waterfront centre ( number 1 visited area in South Africa) with great transport links and a full range of activities from Table Mountain to safari park. Fantastic weather, food, galleries, history and everything is in English! 😁

With so many areas of the world off limits seems like a chance worth taking?

Purely financial, which you can understand as cruises in 2020 were so cheap. We have a really good bargain for 17th and 24th Feb 2020 B2B. Sure the political situation may be a slight concern, but a lot can change in this time and situation may have calmed down by then. If they were really concerned about that, then they would not be doing it in 2020. This is purely a financial decision.

My wife and I were booked on 22nd March repo from Dubai to Barcelona, going through the Suez Canal. Went in to the travel agent after I read it was cancelled on here and they didn't know. They phoned Royal Caribbean and the person they spoke to didn't know. Upshot is that its cancelled and they are offering $400 for a suite cancellation only, which is really stingy. The real pain though is that we booked this cruise to replace the Indy cruise out of Southampton in Sep 2020 which was also cancelled. Not a happy bunny with RCI, they really are the pits. 

Extremely unbappy that RCI has pulled out of Dubai and the Arabian gulf.  They've taken no time to let the volume build up.  With the World Cup in Qatar in 2022, I think this is a big mistake. 

My DW and I had one of our best cruises ever on Vision out of Dubai two years ago.  We booked a large family cruise on the Jewel in 2021 to share with the rest of our family.   We can't move this forward to 2020, so are disappointed.

I'm just finding that RCI is getting really boring with their itineraries.  Variety is the spice of life.  Same drab stuff, how many times can you go to Coco Cay.  We're nearly Diamond Plus on RCI but will have to see whether we should start back with NCL and Princess.

Sorry about the rant, just needed to vent.  :)

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:42 AM, Biker19 said:

The other alternative is to leave Jewel in the Med over the winter - I don't think RCI has ever done that, so I don't think that's realistic.

Actually they have. Brilliance was based in Barcelona for the winter some years ago...

Cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, Biotcruisers said:

Brilliance was based in Barcelona for the winter some years ago...

I guess I should have qualified that statement with "recent past" - Brilliance was in Barcelona 10 years ago, at the bottom of the recession. In addition to a huge increase in competition in the Med since, the economy would suggest that a winter in the Med is unlikely.

• Like 2