Problem with flights by celebrity

trucker den

Last year I booked a cruise during a a $20 deposit 20% off airfare sale. Well since I booked before flights were available, I was assured that when they did I would get the promotion. At exactly the 330 day mark I called to booked flights. Surprise, surprise. I was told that my cruise did not qualify for the promotion. I decided to keep the cruise and I booked my flights with celebrity. Since it was the 330 day mark. The bookings were pretty much wide open to pick any seats I wanted. So I did. I just checked yesterday and my seats were reassigned and my family is sitting all over the plane. I called celebrity and they told me it was the airline not celebrity that changed my seats. I informed them that I booked my travel with celebrity not the airline and they need to fix it. The supervisor told me he would fix it and call me back. I am still waiting for his call. It seems he blew me off. I may have to cancel the cruise over this because my children are young and have never flown before. I can’t have them sitting next to strangers on a plane. Also celebrity never informed of this change. They were going to wait until after final payment to inform me if at all. Flights by celebrity is the worst and I will never book through them again. 

I thought there was a rule that minors had to be seated with an adult.

I have been assigned a seat next to a grandchild when it was impossible to seat a party of 7 together. This was because my son in law didn’t want to pay extra to pre book the seats and the seats were assigned at check in..

• Thanks 1

You may be panicking unnecessarily. If you have your flight booking number, you can probably go into the reservation and choose other seats. If there are absolutely no sets of seats together, then work with the airline but you may be able to do all of this yourself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RICCruisers said:

Do you have the confirmation number from the airline?  If you do, you should be able to go onto the airline website and change all of your seats yourself.  

If not ask Celebrity for it although we had issues in the past with them where they had a block of seats and didn't allocate the passengers until nearer the cruise.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

You may be panicking unnecessarily. If you have your flight booking number, you can probably go into the reservation and choose other seats. If there are absolutely no sets of seats together, then work with the airline but you may be able to do all of this yourself.

When I get on the American website it tells me I need to go through the travel booking agent. 

48 minutes ago, trucker den said:

When I get on the American website it tells me I need to go through the travel booking agent. 

We have only used Celebrity Air to book flights 3 times.  Each time we received the locator number that corresponded to our flights.  I don't understand why you are having issues.  Have you tried doing a mock booking on the American Airlines website for your flights and checking what seats are available?  You should be able to check on availability and then contact Celebrity Air with the information about what seats you would like for your family.  If the reservationist at Celebrity Air "can't help you get your seats , escalate it to a supervisor.  Hopefully you have documentation of the seats that were originally assigned.  It is possible that the airline changed the type of plane (equipment in airline language) and they randomly assigned new seats.

• Thanks 1

Celebrity is right, the airline did this not Celebrity.  Every flight I’ve booked using choice air has been fully under my control to choose seats and upgrade (if the fare allowed it).  There will be two numbers for your ticket, the Celebrity number and the Airline number.  Using the airline number you can access your booking and will be able to make changes.  Locate both numbers and call American.

Your anger at Celebrity is misdirected and probably not going to get your desired result.  The situation you describe has happened to me for tickets purchased directly through the airline and is usually corrected by a quick call.  Unfortunately the seats you originally selected are probably gone (love how the airline can do that).  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trucker den said:

The supervisor told me he would fix it and call me back. I am still waiting for his call. It seems he blew me off. I may have to cancel the cruise over this because my children are young and have never flown before. I can’t have them sitting next to strangers on a plane.

Calling back would likely be more productive than posting here.

4 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I thought there was a rule that minors had to be seated with an adult.

I have been assigned a seat next to a grandchild when it was impossible to seat a party of 7 together. This was because my son in law didn’t want to pay extra to pre book the seats and the seats were assigned at check in..

I'm not aware of any such rule, despite it making sense.  I do know that typically minors must be seated in the same cabin (i.e. you can't book yourself in first class and book your minor children in coach) but not that they be seated together.  In my opinion, your son-in-law was irresponsible; if the kids are young enough that they need an adult next to them, he should book a fare class that allows seat selection or pay the add-on price to preselect seats.

1 hour ago, trucker den said:

Interesting....I'm wondering if Celebrity has sold you some sort of group fare that doesn't allow advance seat selection.  ??

22 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Calling back would likely be more productive than posting here.

I'm not aware of any such rule, despite it making sense.  I do know that typically minors must be seated in the same cabin (i.e. you can't book yourself in first class and book your minor children in coach) but not that they be seated together.  In my opinion, your son-in-law was irresponsible; if the kids are young enough that they need an adult next to them, he should book a fare class that allows seat selection or pay the add-on price to preselect seats.

Interesting....I'm wondering if Celebrity has sold you some sort of group fare that doesn't allow advance seat selection.  ??

I only used X air once and it didn't work very well.  After many calls with X, Choice Air, and Air Canada I was told that Choice Air doesn't pay for your air to the chosen airline until final payment from you (included in your booking confirmation).  Since you haven't paid there really isn't any contract with the airline, only with X, which is why you can make changes without penalty.  When I tried to book advance seats I had only X locator number and not Air Canada locator (X couldn't provide).  Finally, to sort this out, I paid the airfare to X prior to final payment, and at that point I received the AC locator #, went online and selected seats.  Choice Air told me AC worked 'differently' than US airlines....so my info may not be the same for your situation.

Edited by oceangoer2

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I only used X air once and it didn't work very well.  Apparently Choice Air doesn't pay for your air until final payment from you (included in your booking confirmation).  Since you haven't paid there really isn't any contract with the airline, only with X, which is why you can make changes without penalty.  When I tried to book advance seats I had only X locator number and not Air Canada locator (X couldn't provide).  Finally, to sort this out, I paid the airfare to X prior to final payment, and at that point I received the AC locator #, went online and selected seats.  Choice Air told me AC worked 'differently' than US airlines....so my info may not be the same for your situation.

That's certainly another possibility....perhaps CA hasn't fully paid the airline for the seats, so for now there is only a reservation, not an actual airline ticket, and without a ticket, you can't select seats.  There are certainly advantages to booking air via a cruise line, but there are only downsides.  This would appear to be one of them.

I want to add my own experience with Choice Air and United.

- Booked flight on CA with no issues

- Went on United's site and selected seats, no issues

- Rebooked cruise for a price adjustment

- A month later went on United's site and our seat locations were moved for (1) flight

- Fixed seats on United's site (but not quite as good as we originally had)

So yes, not quite as easy to deal with for this one area compared to booking direct with airline. If I had status on an airline I would also lean towards booking direct.

That said, IMHO you can not beat the advantages of Choice Air:

- no payment due until 90 day prior to cruise and still get to lock in a flight and $$$

- coordinated with Celebrity to reduce risk

- will price adjust prior to final payment

- in my case lower prices without resorting to mix/match airlines or budget airlines which might be dangerous or uncomfortable

IMHO Choice Air is still a great deal for most people.

I retain some flexibility:

- I get my points

- Can choose seats

- Can pay extra for premium economy (although on our flight upgrading to Business Class is not an option after booking)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

We had our flight to Buenos Aries under Celebrity's program of booking flights but not paying for them until final payment.  This prevents you from moving your seats because they are not paid for.  We were able to work with Choice Air and get the seats assigned from Miami to BA.  Made final payment to Celebrity for the cruise last week (Monday) and American still showed our trip as unpaid yesterday.  Our TA checked and Celebrity was holding the air portion funds until January 8, we travel in February.  They have agreed to release the air funds to American so that we can continue to change our seats as desired.  I think it is better to prepay your air rather than take advantage of Celebrity's "wait until final payment."

Edited by FloatSomeMore
Misread quote.
  • Like 1

We have had this happen and it's usually because the airline has canceled a flight and incorporated 2 flights in one.  

It's not Celebrity but they should help you correct this problem. 

I'm using Choice Air for the first time this fall, however, I have used Princess EZ Air many times - they all seem to work the same.

We booked our flights on Air Canada (ACA) using Celebrity Flights for our upcoming cruise to Asia in March 2020, a while ago. 

The Celebrity representative informed us that with Air Canada, our flights had to be paid in full at the time of booking, and seating arrangement coordinated directly with the airline. Both of which were a bit disappointing, but it was my first time using Celebrity Flights.

This said, obtaining our seats together (3 people) went very smoothly with the airline. It went well also when a 4th passenger joined our group. Likely because our flights were paid in full. ( I realize that now).

The main benefit for me to use Flights by Celebrity is the guarantee to make the ship or support, especially when having to use a connecting flight, during our Canadian winter.

Despite my initial disappointment, all in all, I am pleased so far with our booking experience.

8 hours ago, trucker den said:

I had that happen once when I accidentally used the Choice Air confirmation instead of the record locator for the airline.

I typically book directly with the airline and I have always received notice of seat changes from the airline.  What I don't understand is why preselected seats would be changed with no notice to the passenger.  From what I read here it seems this is common with the bookings via Celebrity (and probably others too).   I suspect they are selling blocks via a wholesaler and further suspect that must have something to do with it.   And, if seat selection is not valid until final payment (or payment to the airline) then why is a passenger even allowed to select a seat until then.   

I also get frustrated when I book directly months in advance and they move our seats. Our last flight on Delta they moved our seats and didn't notify us. I found out because I was on their site looking at other flights and double checked my booking.
Part of me thinks it is someone with more points/status wants the seat or they are accommodating a partner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I also get frustrated when I book directly months in advance and they move our seats. Our last flight on Delta they moved our seats and didn't notify us. I found out because I was on their site looking at other flights and double checked my booking.
Part of me thinks it is someone with more points/status wants the seat or they are accommodating a partner.

I've had it happen  because of a plane change of some sort, but I've always been notified of those.  A friend recently had her entire booking cancelled without notice.  Like you, she found it by accident too.  Turned out to be an "oops" and the booking was reinstated.  Good thing she happened to look. 

I once had seats changed for no reason literally at the check-in counter and once literally while seated on the plane.  This, among other reasons, is why I refuse to fly with Lufthansa.  Yep, my impression was that they were trying to accommodate someone else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I typically book directly with the airline and I have always received notice of seat changes from the airline.  What I don't understand is why preselected seats would be changed with no notice to the passenger.  From what I read here it seems this is common with the bookings via Celebrity (and probably others too).   I suspect they are selling blocks via a wholesaler and further suspect that must have something to do with it.   And, if seat selection is not valid until final payment (or payment to the airline) then why is a passenger even allowed to select a seat until then.   

Actually, my flights directly booked with AA were changed without any communication to me.

I only found out a few weeks before the flight when checking to be sure all was well... the flight was booked solid so the original seats were taken and no help from CS to get the original ones back...

I Am home now and glad to have a seat albeit not the ones we selected originally and not notified either, as the flight was full.

bon voyage

10 hours ago, RickT said:

Celebrity is right, the airline did this not Celebrity.  Every flight I’ve booked using choice air has been fully under my control to choose seats and upgrade (if the fare allowed it).  There will be two numbers for your ticket, the Celebrity number and the Airline number.  Using the airline number you can access your booking and will be able to make changes.  Locate both numbers and call American.

Your anger at Celebrity is misdirected and probably not going to get your desired result.  The situation you describe has happened to me for tickets purchased directly through the airline and is usually corrected by a quick call.  Unfortunately the seats you originally selected are probably gone (love how the airline can do that).  Good luck.

There in lies the problem. The flight going is fine. We can sit somewhere else. It is the return flight. There is only 2 seat together. All the rest singles. And I purchased the flights from celebrity. I am right for being upset with them. They shouldn’t sell seats that they cannot secure. I am left thinking that what if someone else books directly with the airline? Do I get bumped off the plane?

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, my flights directly booked with AA were changed without any communication to me.

I only found out a few weeks before the flight when checking to be sure all was well... the flight was booked solid so the original seats were taken and no help from CS to get the original ones back...

I Am home now and glad to have a seat albeit not the ones we selected originally and not notified either, as the flight was full.

bon voyage

I guess all is well that ends well.  But you would think in this day and age a notice by email or text would be so easy to do.  

BTW, last Saturday I took a short  flight from SFO to Portland and back.  The plane was half empty on the return that night.  I have not seen that for quite some time.   

13 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

That's certainly another possibility....perhaps CA hasn't fully paid the airline for the seats, so for now there is only a reservation, not an actual airline ticket, and without a ticket, you can't select seats.  There are certainly advantages to booking air via a cruise line, but there are only downsides.  This would appear to be one of them.

I've used Celebrity and RCI flight options several times and have never had an issue selecting seats before paying for the flight months later. Perhaps it depends on the airline, but we fly AA/One World carriers and have never had an issue.

3 hours ago, trucker den said:

There in lies the problem. The flight going is fine. We can sit somewhere else. It is the return flight. There is only 2 seat together. All the rest singles. And I purchased the flights from celebrity. I am right for being upset with them. They shouldn’t sell seats that they cannot secure. I am left thinking that what if someone else books directly with the airline? Do I get bumped off the plane?

No, you are not right in being upset with Celebrity. They booked your seats and the airline changed them,  most likely because of an aircraft or schedule change. Neither you, Celebrity nor the Supreme Ruler of the Galaxy can prevent that from happening.

It is highly unlikely that all of the seats are actually taken. If you don't have any kind of elite status with AA, you cannot see all of the open seats on the plane. More likely than not, many of the so-called Main Cabin Extra seats are available, just not to you.

I suggest that you make sure that you have the AA confirmation number (it should be printed on your confirmation from X), then pick up the telephone and call AA to see what you can do. Sometimes humans can do things that computers can't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

What I don't understand is why preselected seats would be changed with no notice to the passenger.  

It happens.  Often it's due to an aircraft swap, though sometimes it seems to happen inexplicably.  Frustrating when you aren't notified, but it happens. 

15 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Maybe?  But the airline is unlikely to ever tell you exactly why.  Could be an aircraft swap, could be a VIP customer, if it's a bulkhead seat it could be that someone needed that seat for medical reasons, etc.

13 hours ago, trucker den said:

There is only 2 seat together. All the rest singles. And I purchased the flights from celebrity. I am right for being upset with them. They shouldn’t sell seats that they cannot secure. I am left thinking that what if someone else books directly with the airline? Do I get bumped off the plane?

First of all, seat selections are technically only seat requests.  What you have is a ticket for the flight, not a ticket for a particular seat.   In the event of an overbooking, the airline will first ask for volunteers and most likely the situation will be cleared up.  If they don't get enough volunteers, they will select people involuntarily to be bumped/rebooked.  You are more likely to be involuntarily rebooked if you don't have status with the airline, booked a bulk/consolidator/3rd party fare, booked a super cheap published fare, etc. but again, it is rare that it happens.  If it does, you will get some compensation.

9 hours ago, critterchick said:

It is highly unlikely that all of the seats are actually taken. If you don't have any kind of elite status with AA, you cannot see all of the open seats on the plane. More likely than not, many of the so-called Main Cabin Extra seats are available, just not to you.

This.  Not everyone gets to see the same seat map.  Status passengers have the option to choose seats that someone does not, so those seats will not show as available to everyone.  Often, this could include exit row seats, bulkhead seats, and even aisle and window seats in all but the rear part of the aircraft.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 4:53 AM, RickT said:

Rick this is true. On HAL Alaska cruise in July we used HAL Flight ease to book our air to Vancouver and back from Fairbanks. American going and Alaska Air coming home.  AA changed the type of aircraft after booked the air and randomly changed our seats. We had the AA booking number and just went on the AA website to change our seats back to where we preferred. I checked at least once a month to just make sure the aircraft didn't change. We also used the airline website to upgrade our return flight to Alaska Air's economy plus. BTW we saved over $400pp using the HAL air over what we could book ourselves.