Another Cagney's Thread

Newleno

Ok so I have read some complaints about the Cagney on the cruise critic, I always have had great steaks at Cagney's so I could not understand the criticism.  Well all that has changed I used to get great steaks that you could cut with your fork now I am lucky to get a good steak.  I have cruised 47 nights in the last 85 days (one of the cruises  I literally paid  $250 for a solo room new zealand dec 11, wow).  We dined at Cagney's 4 times during that time frame.  3 times the steak was just ok, the other time the steak was as tough as nails, the jumbo shrimp no longer exist, 3 times the shrimp was ok, once it was horrible.  Your thoughts?

Edited by Newleno

Cagney's on the Gem, last month ... DW and I got tired of the very limited menu options at LeBistro over the last 10+ years, and for a change - suffice to say, not impressed.  Thankfully, it was complimentary being P+. 

Jump'o shrimps ... "honey, these are heathy cooking light sized." Most definitely, nowhere near jumbo - ones on the bottom, are 😋 (at Bryant & Cooper ... better & as good as Peter Luger's in NYC)

Porterhouse, cooked to medium ... really 🙄 🤔  .  

Pictures speak for themselves ... do I need to say anything else.  

IMG_20191214_204910237.jpg

IMG_20191214_205014640.jpg

IMG_20171231_181939.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Only been to Cagney's once and our party of six thought all it was great.

Having said that, I thought the filet I had at the French restaurant was about the best I've ever had.

Maybe it depends on the ship. We were on the Bliss. Your mileage might vary...

I went to Cagney's on the Getaway last November and my filet mignon was cooked perfect.  

The lobster bisque not so much.  They must have changed the recipe as I have loved it on previous dinners at Cagney's

Edited by Double Jack

Cagney’s has moved to the “not recommended” list. They serve poor cuts of beef. And our observation after dining at Cagney’s 4 times in the past year is that the service really sucks. Service takes too long. You can never find your waiter. In one case, we were 3/4 through our steaks before our sides showed up. 

we actually had the manager from Cagney’s track is down in Ocean Blue one night to apologize after I commented to the assistant general manager that service in Cagney’s was really poor. 

the Filet in Le Bistro is better than Cagney’s and the service is 100 times better. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

The first time I had it, in 2017 on the Epic, Cagney’s was amazing. This year on both the Sun and the Breakaway, it was just okay. On the Sun, the filet at La Cucina was better and on the Breakaway, the filet at the Haven restaurant put Cagney’s to shame every time. The filet in Cagney’s wasn’t BAD, but I found it bland and not as tender or as perfectly cooked as in the other two restaurants.

If you were lucky enough to enjoy Cagney's 15 years ago.  10 years ago.  Even 5 years ago,  you can definitely see the differences.  Seems everything is being cut.  The food, the service, the menus.  Only thing not being cut are the prices.  They are beyond ridiculous now.  I guess newer cruisers won't notice or care.

For your convenience of course..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Remember when they would bring out the different cuts on a trolley and describe each one?

I am sure they are not purchasing choice grade beef because as several have posted getting

a flavorful and tender piece of meat is just the luck of the draw. You can send it back but then

you have to wait while others may be enjoying their meal. It's all about maximizing profits.

• Like 1

This is a pretty old Cagney's menu (from 2005) on the Norwegian Dawn - it was impressive then, pretty much unchanged thru 2008-9 (twice on the Star) and 2009 on the POA ... so much to choose from, with a nominal upcharge.  LeBistro menu also uploaded/posted on that CC collection. 

I have been to steakhouses on NCL, HAL and RCCL. The worst being RCCL.  NCL and HAL have varied from good to OK on both lines, with quality going down with time. The best being the tomahawk:

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Good ole days

698B1B50-DDE1-49B6-8795-AF56B543541D.jpeg

Thanks BirdTravels.

The best on board steaks being the T bone at La Cucina . This was offered on the Bliss BUT not with the P coupon.

weve had good steaks every time we've gone.  we have had a few occasions where they have not been cooked properly and we sent them back and they came out perfect.

sides have absolutely shrunk to about 2 bites each.  if i were pay for these at $4 a pop id be pretty ticked.

oreo cheesecake was one of the very few fantastic desserts on NCL.  it needs to come back.

We too, have found Cagney's quality of steaks has definitely declined in the past few years. The service staff and perhaps the chefs might not know the difference in what a good steak is. On our last cruise March 2019, my hubs ordered the tomahawk, he was served a thin subpar T-bone, he questioned the supervisor on duty at that time and stated this in not what he ordered, the gentleman came back with a comment that the tomahawk was not even on the menu, hubs asked to see the menu, sure enough the big tomahawk was indeed on the menu. I had a filet and it was good, however not as good as in the past. Received a big apology and we were not charged for his meal. The supervisor gentleman boasted about the fact that NCL serves only the best "certified angus beef".... what these folks don't understand is that just because it is certified angus beef does not mean it is of a high quality grade of beef. Perhaps a higher level of training and knowledge needs to be provided. On the other hand, the chefs know better, if they don't... bad deal for NCL. Your standard grade of "certified angus" does not = "choice or prime" grade of meat. Do the NCL folks purchasing the mass quantities of beef for their ships even know this? Is NCL paying for something they are not getting? Hopefully NCL will get this figured out sooner than later!  We will also be avoiding Cagney's on our future cruises. Sad. 

And let's not even get started on how the wine lists has been butchered.  Aside from all this ya'll have a great day and happy cruising!   🙂 

3 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

We too, have found Cagney's quality of steaks has definitely declined in the past few years. The service staff and perhaps the chefs might not know the difference in what a good steak is. On our last cruise March 2019, my hubs ordered the tomahawk, he was served a thin subpar T-bone, he questioned the supervisor on duty at that time and stated this in not what he ordered, the gentleman came back with a comment that the tomahawk was not even on the menu, hubs asked to see the menu, sure enough the big tomahawk was indeed on the menu. I had a filet and it was good, however not as good as in the past. Received a big apology and we were not charged for his meal. The supervisor gentleman boasted about the fact that NCL serves only the best "certified angus beef".... what these folks don't understand is that just because it is certified angus beef does not mean it is of a high quality grade of beef. Perhaps a higher level of training and knowledge needs to be provided. On the other hand, the chefs know better, if they don't... bad deal for NCL. Your standard grade of "certified angus" does not = "choice or prime" grade of meat. Do the NCL folks purchasing the mass quantities of beef for their ships even know this? Is NCL paying for something they are not getting? Hopefully NCL will get this figured out sooner than later!  We will also be avoiding Cagney's on our future cruises. Sad. 

And let's not even get started on how the wine lists has been butchered.  Aside from all this ya'll have a great day and happy cruising!   🙂 

NCL knows.  They are simply trying to mislead their ignorant cruisers.  All part of the game.

• Haha 1