Why should we choose Celebrity?

davy jones

We are experienced cruisers who have never sailed Celebrity and considering a sailing on the Summit.

Background:  We are a couple nearing retirement and interested in a cruise with our adult (30ish) children.    Most of our sailings over the last 15-20 years have been on the large mass market cruise lines.  We were tiring of the mega ships and the crowds and decided to try other lines to "move up the food chain."

We are looking for a less crowded, more relaxing environment and an upgrade from the mega ship cuisine, which we feel has declined.  We are not foodies or party animals, but do like to have some evening shows and entertainment.  It does not have to be the grand Broadway shows though.

We took a cruise on the HAL Zuiderdam that we enjoyed greatly.  It was our most relaxing cruise in a long time and it met our criteria, but we still want to try other lines to see how we like them.

Based on that, do you think that we will like Celebrity, and why?   

By the way, we have never had a bad cruise, but a couple of sailings had some pretty bad weather.

I went on celebrity Equinox last January and I could count the number of children on board with one hand. I would say it is a older crowd, mostly retired couples.  The boats are normally around 2000 vs 3000+ passengers of other cruise lines.

My brother was on the same cruise and is a very experienced cruiser and said the food was by far the best he has ever had.  I don't think you will be disappointed. 

3 minutes ago, Missyfoti said:

I went on celebrity Equinox last January and I could count the number of children on board with one hand. I would say it is a older crowd, mostly retired couples.  The boats are normally around 2000 vs 3000+ passengers of other cruise lines.

Actually, the ship you were on holds around 3000 pax.

I think you would enjoy it.  There are lots of activities if you wish to join in (dance class by the pool, trivia, etc.) but it is also easy to find a quiet spot to chat or read.  The food is really good.  They have some type of show in the theatre every evening and then there are still some late evening activities - a game show or dancing to the house band or the dj.  My young-at-heart 67 year old husband can usually be found at the "disco" late into the evening.  We like it because it is a very relaxing environment but there are things to do if you want, and they are not "in your face" if you don't.  Depending on where you are going, they sometimes have guest lecturers on sea days.  We've usually found them to be very interesting.

Summit experience will be very similar to Zuiderdam.  They're very similar in size and passenger load & are even the same age.  The styling on Summit will be a little more modern (it was recently refurbished to a new design scheme). 

Both lines have more similarities than differences.  HAL has a looser indoor smoking policy in general, though Zuiderdam itself allows no indoor smoking, like Celebrity.  Summit has a few more specialty dining choices (for extra fee), but I think the main dining rooms are comparable.  I like the buffet better on HAL, but Celebrity's is fine.  HAL has more variety of live music in the evenings due to their Music Walk venues, but there is entertainment on Celebrity.  HAL's in-room movie system is a lot better than Celebrity.  Live TV is about the same (limited). 

Based on what you say you like, I think you'll enjoy Celebrity. 

If you liked Zuiderdam I think you will like Celebrity.

Make no mistake, Celebrity is still a mass market line but with a little different approach.  A bit more subdued largely.

Food is OK, similar to other lines in the same class.  Entertainment is not the best perhaps, but you said you don't need elaborate Broadway type entertainment and I think Celebrity will satisfy.

I think you'll be fine.

You sound like prime candidates for Celebrity, actually, although I might consider an S-class ship rather than M-class. Celebrity's overall vibe is less crowded, fewer children, fewer announcements, less glitz but more substance than the larger ships that are full of rock walls, ice rinks, etc. Think country club casual. We started cruising Celebrity in our 30s and it was a perfect fit for us as adults who cruise without children. I am a major foodie and prefer to eat in Specialty restaurants over the MDR, but the MDR is certainly decent. 

I suggested S-class rather than Summit because IMO the S-class ships are the perfect size to allow for plenty of entertainment, activities and nightlife while still maintaining an overall uncrowded feel and manageable size for roaming. We sailed Summit this year to Bermuda and while it wasn't a bad cruise, it was not our favorite ship and even though we were in our first suite (which was a great experience), overall it felt like something of a downgrade from the S-class ships we have grown to love. 

32 minutes ago, davy jones said:

We are experienced cruisers who have never sailed Celebrity and considering a sailing on the Summit.

Background:  We are a couple nearing retirement and interested in a cruise with our adult (30ish) children.    Most of our sailings over the last 15-20 years have been on the large mass market cruise lines.  We were tiring of the mega ships and the crowds and decided to try other lines to "move up the food chain."

We are looking for a less crowded, more relaxing environment and an upgrade from the mega ship cuisine, which we feel has declined.  We are not foodies or party animals, but do like to have some evening shows and entertainment.  It does not have to be the grand Broadway shows though.

We took a cruise on the HAL Zuiderdam that we enjoyed greatly.  It was our most relaxing cruise in a long time and it met our criteria, but we still want to try other lines to see how we like them.

By the way, we have never had a bad cruise, but a couple of sailings had some pretty bad weather.

You'll never know for sure if you don't try it and judge Celebrity from your own experience. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

I suggested S-class rather than Summit because IMO the S-class ships are the perfect size to allow for plenty of entertainment, activities and nightlife while still maintaining an overall uncrowded feel and manageable size for roaming.

S-Class are larger and have more venues.  More similar to HAL's Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam.  There are several hundred more passengers on S-Class versus M-Class, though they do a good job of keeping it from feeling crowded.

M-Class are similar to HAL's Vista- and Signature-class ships.  Midsize, more compact.  If OP liked Zuiderdam, it is very similar to Summit in that regard.  HAL's styling is just a little more traditional.

Edited by bEwAbG

42 minutes ago, davy jones said:

Celebrity is a mass market cruise line, you should understand that before you book. The average age of a Celebrity passenger would be around 60 so your adult children will be amongst the youngest onboard. 

The M class ships sound like a good fit for you. They are not crowded and have a more relaxing and subdued atmosphere than the RCL mega ships do. Be under no illusions though, no one books Celebrity exclusively for the entertainment. It isn't as good as what you appear to be used to. 

You'll find the passengers a little bit younger than on HAL with the ships being a little more lively, particularly later in the evening. Arguably Princess and then HAL would be the most comparable lines to Celebrity so again I think you'd like Celebrity. 

Yes I think you'll thoroughly enjoy it. The reasons are listed above. 

All vacations are what you make of them. :) 

You need to sail onboard to make up your own mind but based on your description I sincerely believe you'll enjoy it a lot. Book a sailing, you'll never truly know otherwise. 

Edited by Moby Jones

Celebrity entertainment is just so so, definitely prefer rccl also Hal has better entertainment, celebrity has a very nice buffet , Summit was just refurbished. Suite perks are really great on celebrity if you book suites . 

We had our first two Celebrity cruises last year--Equinox in June and Summit in November.  We preferred Equinox for the layout of the ship and more venues.  We have Edge booked for April, so I'm curious to see how we like it compared to Equinox.

We've sailed on HAL once and didn't really care for it, but it did have a much better variety of entertainment than X.

We've found some good value on X with all perks included, so that's what initially go us to book.  We like the lower key vibe and the passenger mix.

3 hours ago, davy jones said:

Sounds like Celebrity would be a good cruise line to try!  In the end, it is your opinion that matters.  We like Celebrity very much, but I like Royal Caribbean for a more  active cruise.  We also like HAL, Princess and my last Carnival cruise (5 days to Cuba) was excellent. Not a big fan of Carnival.  

Being experienced cruisers, you know the process, the routine, what you like and what you don't like. Whereas you've developed your sense of style and what fits you best, embarking on any cruise with any cruise line is always subject to new and varied experiences.

The opinions, suggestions and information provided by fellow posters is valuable in helping you to ascertain what might be forthcoming.  However, I would tend to agree with those respondents who opine coming onboard a Celebrity ship with no pre-conceived notions, positive or negative. Meet a Celebrity ship up close and personal and let X show you what it's all about. A new adventure is always better with an open mind, a little information and a lot of personal discovery.

Actually, it is easier for me to tell you the reasons why you should NOT choose Celebrity. Actually, I can't think of any.   

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2

As others have said we also prefer the S to the M class. In particular we enjoy the additional dining venues.

Our adult son prefers Celebrity now over RC....Whilst RC has lots of gizmos and gadgets I think what most young adults want out of a cruise is exactly what those of us 60+ want...a nice relaxing experience with good food, good company, a nice range of bars to visit and leisurely activities to join in if they want to. If your adult children (or you for that matter) want to mix and mingle it could be useful to join the roll call for your cruise then they could have a few activities planned even before boarding.

Hope you enjoy!

22 hours ago, davy jones said:

We don't care for the mega ships, but have cruises Royal Caribbean and NCL in addition to Celebrity.

Celebrity is our favorite:

1) The dining is great on Celebrity, better than on Royal or NCL.  In fact, the MDR is so good that we almost never do the specialty restaurants.

2) Love the ship layout on both the M and S class ships.  Haven't done the new ships like Apex.  To me, the S class ships have the best layout of any cruise ship that we have been on.

3) Entertainment is very good, not on the same level as Royal C, but still good.

4) Celebrity avoids the nickel and dime stuff that NCL tend to do.  

5) Never seen bad acting drunks or people showing their a-- on Celebrity.  You will find most are well traveled and frankly well educated.

6) Celebrity has a lot of great itineraries, such as in the Far East, Australia/NZ, South America, the MED, British Isles, Norway, Baltic, India and Dubai, as well as the Caribbean and Alaska.

We did our first Celebrity cruise in May 2019 - cruise #10 on the Summit out of San Juan.  Our other cruises were on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.  We are in our 60's and I can say I think I have found the cruise line that fits me best.  The food and service were very good and the buffet area was wonderfully laid out in stations and had a great variety.  We had plenty of live music and we really enjoyed the shows.  We were lucky to have the American Ballet performance on our cruise.  The trivia shows were a little lacking and there was some equipment failure - but we chalked it up to being the first cruise after the refurbishment.  The solarium was our favorite to date.  The pool there had some pipes that you lay on from which water bubbled up and massaged you!  The ship was beautiful, clean, and well appointed.  Our room was quite large and had plenty of storage as did the bathroom.  We did have an issue with our steward.  We were in a Concierge room.  We were compensated with $250 future credit each!  Which led us to book our next Celebrity cruise in October on the Equinox.  

I think you will love her!

10 hours ago, davy jones said:

Thanks to all for the replies.  We went ahead and booked the cruise and are looking forward to the experience.

Congrats on booking your first cruise on Celebrity.  As others have said, it sounds like you will really enjoy Celebrity, but ultimately you must try and decide for yourself.

We have been on several mass-market lines, and have settled on Celebrity - 3 cruises completed and 2 more booked.  We enjoy the laid-back style, terrific staff, overall wonderful food, and mostly very good to excellent entertainment.  Don't underestimate the groups that perform in the smaller lounges, like the Rendezvous Lounge and Cellar Masters on the M-Class ships.  We have been on the Infinity and Constellation (same as the Summit), and really enjoyed the entertainment.

The S-class ships are probably our favorite due to additional specialty dining, and some extra venues.  That said, the M-Class ships are still terrific! 

Enjoy your cruise!