Al Bacio

Not a username2

The pastries at Al Bacio are no cost, you can get them without purchasing coffee or tea.

The gelato is not free.  The ice cream at the buffet is free and I prefer that to the gelato.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 2

We took the tour on Edge and were told that they make the gelato on board, different flavors, every day. So you can usually get the same gelato at the buffet or MDR's for free that you may have to pay for in other venues. Just ask. There's also the soft serve on the pool deck, free. The snacks at al Bacio are free. 

1 hour ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

We took the tour on Edge and were told that they make the gelato on board, different flavors, every day. So you can usually get the same gelato at the buffet or MDR's for free that you may have to pay for in other venues. Just ask. There's also the soft serve on the pool deck, free. The snacks at al Bacio are free. 

Have they really started offering the gelato in the buffet? I've only ever seen icecream there. Seems odd that they would serve gelato free there, but charge for it at al Bacio.

Café al Bacio menu attached.

For those without a beverage package that covers specialty coffee,  please note the gratuity shown as 18% is now 20%. Don't know if any of the other prices went up... but I will find out in April.

Host Kat emo32.gif

731532591_CafealBacio.pdf

• Like 2

The Gelato at Al Bacio is NOT the same thing as the buffet ice cream.

The ice cream at oceanview is excellent, but the Gelato at Al Bacio (for a fee) is a higher quality product. Both are made aboard the ship.

From a google search: 

As the name implies, "ice cream" contains more cream than milk, whereas gelato is made with a greater proportion of whole milk to cream. Another ingredient that distinguishes the two is eggs; ice cream includes egg yolks while gelato is (most often) completely void of eggs.

At any rate its like saying a martini at the pool bar is the same as a martini at the martini bar,  it’s just not.

Hence why one has an additional charge and one is complimentary 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Cookies and pastries are free and regular type coffee in free.  Everything else costs.  Gelato is across the room at a separate area as I recall.  Never went over there though.  The sweets and lattes were great, both in morning and afternoon/evening

There is no regular type coffee at Cafe il Bacio.  Closest to that would be Americano, which is charged. 

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Have they really started offering the gelato in the buffet? I've only ever seen icecream there. Seems odd that they would serve gelato free there, but charge for it at al Bacio.

On Edge there is no gelato station adjacent to Cafe al Bacio as there is on the S Class ships.  The only gelato on Edge is in the same display case as the regular ice cream, yogurt and sorbet flavors in the Buffet.  The gelato still has a fee there...just mixed in with the free other offerings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

There is no regular type coffee at Cafe il Bacio.  Closest to that would be Americano, which is charged. 

Thanks for correcting me on this.  We were on the drink package and DW got the expresso with water most days and I always got the latte  

4 hours ago, helen haywood said:

On Edge there is no gelato station adjacent to Cafe al Bacio as there is on the S Class ships.  The only gelato on Edge is in the same display case as the regular ice cream, yogurt and sorbet flavors in the Buffet.  The gelato still has a fee there...just mixed in with the free other offerings.

Often a long line but a fair variety to choose from

1 hour ago, Mwgw said:

Al Bacio is probably one of my most favorite spots on the ship. Love the seating area specially while in port.

That is, if you can get a seat!  Really don't like it when people sleep there or stay long after they have finished their coffees.  I agree with you that it is a lovely place and I love their cappuccinos.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, Phxazzcruisers said:

and you get one free scoop of Gelato at certain levels of the Captains Club.  Unfortunately they no longer have the yummy waffle cones.  You get in a cup  😞

I had a waffle cone with my gelato on our September 2019 Summit cruise.