Stepping away from Celebrity

bigbenboys

14 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I couldn't agree more. I can't exactly put my finger on, but I had no desire to book another Princess cruise after the first one.

I would choose Princess for itinerary only, such as a creative cruise tour in Alaska. From video footage, I don't find the ships appealing, and not everyone looks relaxed or content. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lolabunny488 said:

We recently arrived back from our Xmas and new year cruise with princess and was throughly disappointed. 

We had a moderate experience on Connie in may last year around Alaska but we thought it was because Shen had just come out of dry dock. So decided to try princess after 8 years away from them and would certainly not touch princess again. We are so looking forward to going on silhouette in may, I have no desire to do any of the E class ships. They just don’t appeal to me maybe when the price comes down I may look at a sampler one. 

Do you mean Millennium rather than Constellation? 

We absolutely love Celebrity and Azamara and would never change.  They have always given us excellent cruises and we see absolutely no reason to change.  Azamara for the smaller ship experience and Celebrity for the larger ones.  We were not really thrilled with Edge, but are going to give Apex a chance and see if it "feels" more like the Celebrity experience that we love.

The day I read on CC that The Connie was going to sail from Tampa, I picked up the phone and booked a cruise for April 2021.  Have been sailing Royal for the past 3-4 years and am so excited to once again sail Celebrity.  Started cruising with Princess but when Carnival bought Princess switched to Celebrity and never looked back.  Most of my Celebrity cruises have been AQUA as I love Blu but 2021 will be a suite and I am looking forward to the Revolution.

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

I couldn't agree more. I can't exactly put my finger on, but I had no desire to book another Princess cruise after the first one.

OTH, we had an amazing cruise with Equinox and I try to book X whenever I have the chance.😁

Equinox got us hooked too and now we’ve been on Silhouette. Will be trying Edge in July and expect it to be a different ship. Plus we got a great deal in a Sky Suite which I think may have been an error on Celebrity because it was less than our original booking in a SV. I don’t think we would like the IV so I’m not sure how many cruises on Edge we will have as we won’t normally want to pay the price of a suite. 

1 hour ago, alwaysonaship said:

My issue with Viking is they require payment in full immediately

Believe it or not that is just a USA requirement. In Australia it is 100 days prior but our deposit is so much higher and we lose it all if we cancel. 

However we are booked on an Israel/Nile River/Jordan cruise with Viking and can already book excursions even though it isn’t until Dec 2021. But we don’t have to pay anything more for another 18 months. 

On Viking Ocean - the way that excursions are held back according to how much you’ve paid for your cabin plus by the time you are able to book it’s way too close to the cruise and I get itchy by then. So for our Alaska cruise we purchased all private ones and which were so much cheaper than what Viking was charging for the exact same thing (same company for helicopters for instance). 

Edited by Pushka
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

We have really enjoyed Seabourn and their smaller ships. We have found some excellent values and enjoy them very much. Currently we are on Crystal. Absolutely are not enjoying their line or ship at all.  The cabins are small, the food mediocre, and the customer is very elderly. We are leaving the cruise on our own in a couple of hours in Cabo and spending a few days there before going home. 

I guess at this point we will stick with Seabourn or go back on the Paul Gauguin again eventually. 

Please do a review. You seem really unhappy with Crystal and I’m sure more people would gai  knowledge. You have us rethinking our cruise with such strong opinions.

Edited by Mwgw
Sorry guess I can’t handle this quote system

We've been sailing Azamara the past few years and had our first and second X cruises in 2019, with a third X cruise booked for April.  We've found fantastic value on X during the four perks sales, and we've enjoyed the experience.  Azamara is okay--the smaller ships are nice for Europe, as are the longer port stays.  For the Caribbean, we really like X.

What is the purpose of your post?

I also vote with my feet and they are also walking away from X 

Do they care ? Not really as they will continue to fill their ships with new passengers that are willing to spend more than the old veterans that know better 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

46 minutes ago, miched said:

What is the purpose of your post?

I also vote with my feet and they are also walking away from X 

Do they care ? Not really as they will continue to fill their ships with new passengers that are willing to spend more than the old veterans that know better 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I'm interested to hear where people are going, what they've tried, and their impressions.  As far as Celebrity benefiting from veterans leaving, I assure you they care, even it is in their favor.

If Coke swapped Cherry Coke for Strawberry Coke, losing 10% of their customers to Pepsi, market share alone is enough to pay attention to.  Yeah, sales might be up from the new strawberry flavor, but PepsiCo benefited as well.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

24 minutes ago, Mwgw said:

I will. Right now we are at the JW Marriott in Cabo and the whole experience is fun and uplifting. Crystal was so pathetic. Sorry but the vibe was a nursing home   We would cruise on Celebrity any day vs Crystal. I will write a review when we get home 

58 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I kind of understand they are different ships.  Lol. Do you have experience with Edge?

I do.  I thought that the Edge was a much lesser experience.  Pay more and get less.

There are way too many public areas that they took out of the Edge and merged into larger loud and shouty areas.

Edited by NMTraveller

6 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

We absolutely love Celebrity and Azamara and would never change.  They have always given us excellent cruises and we see absolutely no reason to change.  Azamara for the smaller ship experience and Celebrity for the larger ones.  We were not really thrilled with Edge, but are going to give Apex a chance and see if it "feels" more like the Celebrity experience that we love.

Isn't Apex pretty much like the Edge?  What is different?  Did they put the Sky Lounge back in?

12 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

With the new Edge Class ships and the other ships being revolutionized. Where are you spending the money you would have been giving to Celebrity? I canceled a 15 night March 2020 cruise. We are going to England for 3 weeks instead. We are also canceling our 17 night Sept 2020 cruise.

Finally giving HAL a try. Not just the disappointing IV's on Edge -- along with the high prices and marketing baloney (Goop -- REALLY??). Even if I still loved X as much as I did on my first Solstice cruise (10 years ago), X's diminishing presence on the West Coast is quite a deterrent for us. 🤨

12 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I kind of understand they are different ships.  Lol. Do you have experience with Edge?

I have booked a cruise with them so have studied the various room configurations and know what I love about cruises and what would cause me not to enjoy. I am sure I will love the Edge but am specific about which cabin I would book. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

Isn't Apex pretty much like the Edge?  What is different?  Did they put the Sky Lounge back in?

Yes, it is the same class of ship, but we are hoping they tweaked it a little. We use the Retreat, so we do not miss the Sky Lounge.  Edge just did not have the same Celebrity vibe, something was missing.  We are hoping we find Apex improved

9 hours ago, Pushka said:

We have been in a few Princess cruises and there is just something about them I don’t like. Maybe it was the ships we went on as we haven’t been on one of the newer ones. 

I went on the Island Princess through Alaska last summer.  I sailed on Celebrity Infinity in 2016.  Both are smaller ships and refurbished.  Both sailings in OV cabins added on after refurbishment.  I was a bit surprised that the point which stuck out for me on Princess was the very standard classic American dining menu.  We have a lot of different cuisines available in my area including plenty of ethnic grocery stores and while I wasn't expecting a huge variety in Alaska, I probably encountered more food variety on land than on the ship.  Celebrity offers some more modern fare like a kale salad, as is my preference.  This could be a great thing for others whose tastes run the other way, though.

Edited by travelpeon
clarification

We have sailed Azamara around Italy and Greece and had a lovely experience. Had already sailed both the Quest and Journey when the line was forest established.However we went back to X because of the 14 night southern Caribbean sailings. We decided to change a Solstice sailing From  Sydney to Hawaii to an Oceania Tahiti to San Francisco. For basically (By the time added on drinks etc) a very similar price. But on Oceania we get 18 days with $800 OBC all gratuities and  Premium Beverage Package. On the Solstice we were in Aqua while on Oceania we have a PH 

We have two cruises booked on the refurbished Constellation in 2021/2022. Have managed to get excellent prices for suites. The first in a celebrity suite 2nd in a sky suite. After that we will see.