No sail away parties in Sydney

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I just learned that Sydney council has band loud music at sail away parties.

Did anyone know that?

Oh dear, it will be terrible to miss a grand sailaway, like P&O UK and Carnival have.safe_image.gif.a1f0d189f2dcddcf654749f20959b890.gif

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I just learned that Sydney council has band loud music at sail away parties.

Did anyone know that?

I have not heard that, but I did know any ships docked at white Bay could not play any music on the ship till they have left the white bay area.

28 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I have not heard that, but I did know any ships docked at white Bay could not play any music on the ship till they have left the white bay area.

A member named @twangster is on the ovation at the moment and the cruise director Joff announced it .

Sydney council has banned loud music at sail aways.

I thought sail aways were a bit subdued lately.

Prior to sail away on Sunday our CD Joff did state that "Sydney City Council as well as the Resident's Council"  restricted cruise ships from playing music on outer decks.  

If there is no such thing as either the city council or the resident's council that would be great to know so I can stop suggesting these organizations are involved, however he made it very clear that Sydney has restrictions based on these councils along with a number of ports on this itinerary that led me to conclude that some New Zealand ports also banned outdoor music on cruise ships.

This isn't unheard of.  In Alaska it was claimed that some areas prohibit ship's whistles (horns) and announcements from being used unless required for nautical/safety purposes.  Announcements over the PA can only occur in indoor areas it was stated.  

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Prior to sail away on Sunday our CD Joff did state that "Sydney City Council as well as the Resident's Council"  restricted cruise ships from playing music on outer decks.  

If there is no such thing as either the city council or the resident's council that would be great to know so I can stop suggesting these organizations are involved, however he made it very clear that Sydney has restrictions based on these councils along with a number of ports on this itinerary that led me to conclude that some New Zealand ports also banned outdoor music on cruise ships.

This isn't unheard of.  In Alaska it was claimed that some areas prohibit ship's whistles (horns) and announcements from being used unless required for nautical/safety purposes.  Announcements over the PA can only occur in indoor areas it was stated.  

@twangster welcome to the Australian and New Zealand forum.

26 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

@gbenjo

Have you heard of noise restrictions on sail away parties.

Have not heard that .but there would be no noise to hear if they restricted  it  would there? 😁..but  no, not aware ...pretty petty though  if true , to whinge about maybe ten minutes of music as a ship sails up the harbour ..once a day ( max three a day but only rarely)...what about the planes that fly over all day.

Came across this in Feb last year on explorer of the seas, no music (or even PA announcements if I remember correctly) while we were docked at the OPT which included music/noise from the big screen TV.

Once away from the berth and turned around to head out then the music was started.

So has been in for awhile and is purely to keep the noise down and the locals happy in this busy and noisy port (eyes rolling).

cya

Edited by bl262000

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

There is a Sydney City Council. There is no significant entity called the Resident's council.

Given that mistruth, it's hard to say what the basis is. It may be true that it's Sydney council, or it may be some other reason.

There is certainly a City of Sydney Council, based at ye old Sydney Town Hall.  Been to many a meeting there when I worked in the City.  The noise complaints would be from the silvertails who live in the multi million dollar apartments surrounding Circular Quay, snowflakes.

Edited by NSWP

51 minutes ago, NSWP said:

There is certainly a City of Sydney Council, based at ye old Sydney Town Hall.  Been to many a meeting there when I worked in the City.  The noise complaints would be from the silvertails who live in the multi million dollar apartments surrounding Circular Quay, snowflakes.

And possibly many of the restaurants around Circular Quay, especially those with outdoor seating. 

There are a-lot of ships leaving before 4:00 in the afternoon, before the (4-6:30 no sail times); are they going to ban No Noise at 3:45; especially when most cruise lines do Muster drill at around 3:15 - 3:30 & BLAST there emergency sirens....

I have found that the music on the last couple of cruise sail away parties started a little later (5 or so mins), so the apartments at the OPT would not be too disturbed. They also do this at White Bay the party usually starts once past the bridge.

I had heard of it a few years ago on RCI and always thought their sailaways were a little low key. But in December on Majestic Princess we had the Love Boat anthem on the ship’s horn and a great band playing for sailaway while in the harbour. 

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Just ignore him twangster  ,everyone else does 

Given his post was in response to my correct statements, which were specifically answering his question, I'm not sure what your issue is. 

People of course may choose to ignore or believe as they wish, but it doesn't give you the right to make stuff up.

Edited by The_Big_M

I have sailed out of Sydney later in the evening on QM2 a couple of times. Fairly quiet leaving OPT. 

One time, however, QV was at Athol Buoy waiting to take over the berth. The toot-a-thon they had greeting each other echoed all around the harbour.