Want to verify carry on drinks

richbum

As SDPadreFan said, soda must be cans. Small cartons are also permissible (but not wine boxes).  Bottled water is a no-no.  Security is known to open 12 pack soda can boxes to double check that beer cans were not furtively substituted.   Wine or champagne in the typical 750 ml. size - one total per adult.

Slight correction to SDPadreFan's comment. It's one 12-pack of soda per person (doesn't have to be an adult) and one bottle of wine per drinking-aged adult. So yes, someone 21 & up can bring one of each. Drinks must be in your carry-on or with you as a carry-on. If they're inside your carry-on bag, some security personnel will want to check it, others won't. As Ferry Watcher noted, some will open cases of soda to check for alcohol. Some have been known to tear open the cases to the point it's useless, so I always bring a bag of some kind in case this happens. I don't drink wine, but we still bring "my" bottle in case my wife wants two. I just strap my 12-pack to the handle of my suitcase with a small bungee. She has a nice insulated carrying case with a shoulder strap that holds two bottles of wine.

And it doesn't have to be 12, just up to 12. I accidentally dropped my 12-pack getting out of our shuttle one time and three of the cans broke open. Luckily I had a reusable grocery bag with me (just in case security tore open the case) so I just put the remaining nine cans in that. Oddly enough, the security guy asked me if there was beer in those loose cans. 🤦‍♂️

On 2/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, GAPaige said:

We don't drink alcohol but plan on bringing a bottle each of sparkling grape juice.  Would my 18 and 20 year olds also be able to bring nonalcoholic "wine"?

I doubt the 18 & 20 year old would be allowed to bring any bottle.  You probably won't be allowed sparkling grape juice, but I have started seeing a non-alcoholic wine that might be permitted.  I've seen it in our soft drink aisle near mixers and it is labeled as a zero proof dry wine, not carbonated grape juice.

As others have said, you can bring both cokes & wine.  If you bring a 12-pack in the carton, it's a good idea to have a tote or something to put them in.  Our neighbors had their carton ripped open to check them.  Remember cokes have to be in cans, not bottles.  You can also bring protein drinks in cartons.  My daughter brought her coconut water that comes in cartons.  You just have to limit to 12 per person.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, ctheisen-sullivan said:

Can you bring cans of beer?

If you put it in with soda you might get by, you might not. We've only brought soda once, and they just looked at one carton and didn't even let me get my bag unzipped before ushering us along. They can and do ask some be opened. You would be very unpopular here doing it because most don't want to lose soda carry-on like what happened with water.

If you aren't overly picky it is better to find out if your ship has happy hours for beers that you can store for later or just drink in Port. 

Cruised out of Port Everglades this past October.  There were four of us, but we had 2 cabins.  I had all four bottles of wine and one 12-pk of soda in my carry on.  2 of us went thru security together, the other 2 were in a different line.  No one questioned my 4 bottles of wine nor did they ask for me to open my carry on to review it or the soda.  Now I'm aware this isn't always the case as I've been on many cruises, but this was my most recent experience.

Its also my understanding, from past experience, that those cans have to be 12 oz or under, so most energy drinks arent allowed. 

From Carnivals site "A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less, per person."

That is from this page. 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

As SDPadreFan said, soda must be cans. Small cartons are also permissible (but not wine boxes).  Bottled water is a no-no.

I'm guessing that bottled water is banned because it is too easy to mess with.  How about canned water?  Yes, it is sold  🙂