Bibliophiles unite!

phoenix_dream

With the revolution of ships (and I believe the Edge class?) libraries are becoming a thing of the past.  I know there are many out there like me who still much prefer the feel of a hard copy book in their hands to the tablet reader alternative.  Who wants to haul a tablet around to the beach or poolside??  I also take many long and/or b2b cruises and I don’t want to have to schlep half a dozen books with me. I know some of my fellow bibliophiles have taken to creating book exchange spots onboard. I thought maybe we could use this thread to identify the spots and spread the word to those who may be interested, as well as to encourage their use.

I saw on Summit that there was a small book exchange at the front access to Rendezvous on the port side. I know Equinox still has a library of sorts (Although Celebrity has removed most of the books for some unknown reason😕) but people tend to use the main floor starboard side to exchange.  

What is happening, if anything, on other ships which no longer have official libraries?  Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Much as I love to read and frequent our local library on an almost daily basis...I think libraries on ships are on the way out if for no other reason than it is impossible to sanitize the books.  (Never mind they are non revenue producing.). On Edge there was a small cart outside Eden that passengers used as a lending library.

• Like 2

Book sanitizers exist! https://twitter.com/VRobins1/status/1067318235148644352

It's kind of an extra large version of a UV sanitizer.  I don't believe most viruses will stay on books for more than a 7-9 days under high temp?  If the cruise is in a hot & sunny place they could simply lay them out near a window but the "ship librarian" (a small paid crew gig to re-shelve books) probably doesn't have access to that.

I also love reading and enjoyed finding new-to-me things in the library.  I've taken to using Overdrive to borrow ebooks from my library while on cruise ships & have wifi package.  Still have plenty of selection which I wouldn't have purchased on my own and a tablet kindle isn't too expensive.  I know some of the new eink kindles are water resistant so you can even take them into a hot tub AND they are so much lighter than a hardback.  Much better for my wrists.

Most of the Solstice class ship libraries had a section for book donations.  Perhaps you can visit the used book store or thrift store to bring some to leave behind?

I volunteer at a local library and love it, but when I travel, I do take an ipad with my Kindle app and read away. Understand the love of an actual book, but lugging an ipad or tablet instead of a 400+page book? Along with many other reasons, that’s why many move over to digitals. It does keep reading and publishing (digital) alive. 

One suggestion since libraries are on the way out on all ships is to go over to the Roll Call for your cruise and suggest book club/exchanges there. Done it and it worked nicely. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Much as I love to read and frequent our local library on an almost daily basis...I think libraries on ships are on the way out if for no other reason than it is impossible to sanitize the books.  (Never mind they are non revenue producing.). On Edge there was a small cart outside Eden that passengers used as a lending library.

You probably have never taken a transatlantic flight where you are looking for something to read.   I average reading 3-4 books on a 14 day TA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

One of my most favorite things to do on embarkation day is hit the library to find a book to carry me through the cruise.  So disappointed they are on the way out.  The book cart alternative on Edge seems very unappealing, to say the least.

I have never been found of ship libraries- people read books in a variety of places- I wouldn't want to share a book that has been read in a bathroom!  Not everyone is a clean person .  So handwashing is a real issue.  Best to read on our electronic device.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I have never been found of ship libraries- people read books in a variety of places- I wouldn't want to share a book that has been read in a bathroom!  Not everyone is a clean person .

True enough, however that is a hazard of any library, not just those found on ships.  I prefer not to think about where the book might have been and just take my own hygienic precautions.  To each their own, I guess.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

You probably have never taken a transatlantic flight where you are looking for something to read.   I average reading 3-4 books on a 14 day TA.

I’ve taken lots of transatlantic flights.  And longer flights.  And many transatlantic cruises.  Absolutely you need several books for these!  But that makes an ereader even more attractive.  I like the idea of a book exchange via a Roll Call.

• Like 1

I would guess that since even my 88 year old parents read from kindles and iPads (easy to control font and much lighter) that ship libraries will not reappear.  When we travel whether cruise or land trip we love to read as it’s something we don’t have enough time for at home.  We load our kindles with books from our library, kindle unlimited and love having a variety of books to choose from.  We literally will never run out of options.  I still purchase actual books especially if it’s one I know friends or family member will also enjoy.  I thought I would never be a convert to an e-reader but now prefer the format.   The book exchange through the Roll Call is a great idea though.  We don’t need to add to our book collection at home and would happily contribute a book(s) assuming luggage space/weight allowed.  

15 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

I would guess that since even my 88 year old parents read from kindles and iPads (easy to control font and much lighter) that ship libraries will not reappear.  When we travel whether cruise or land trip we love to read as it’s something we don’t have enough time for at home.  We load our kindles with books from our library, kindle unlimited and love having a variety of books to choose from.  We literally will never run out of options.  I still purchase actual books especially if it’s one I know friends or family member will also enjoy.  I thought I would never be a convert to an e-reader but now prefer the format.   The book exchange through the Roll Call is a great idea though.  We don’t need to add to our book collection at home and would happily contribute a book(s) assuming luggage space/weight allowed.  

I have tried reading from a kindle and don't care for it.  

• Like 2

I do 3 hours of walking daily at home as well as when cruising.    I switched to Audio Books and love them.   I've been burning through books as of late and find it a nice alternative but not the same as reading a book.

It took me awhile to to get accustomed to my PaperWhite (Kindle) but after one book I was hooked on electronic readers.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hcat said:

I don't need the books so much as a nice quiet,  well lit, comfy reading space..maybe with do it yourself coffee/ tea. 

Instead of dedicating an entire room as the library, why not take a section of another area and make that a reading nook...maybe with wall of books, books you can borrow, but also serves as a beautiful piece of art in the background. I don’t need an entire room as a library, but I would love a small section (in Eden as an example) where I can have a cup of coffee, or enjoy a glass of red wine and read. 

482E0104-256A-43E7-A710-1A26CC4DA268.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This was the library on first day of Edge TA

2E29FB2F-8DDB-4CCE-8323-4303783C3A9C.jpeg

This kind of reminds me of the shopping experience cart on Edge.  LOL.  Would you like double cheesy or triple cheesy?

Our Edge cruise had a kitchen type of cart with books on it.  I laughed.

Edited by NMTraveller

We always loved books and had hundreds, if not thousands, of them in our home, but as we get older we have become dependent on our Kindles.     We can load many books on them (I keep a reading list of 20-30 available at all times).  They're much lighter to carry and easier to turn pages (especially when you have arthritis or neuropathy of the hands), and the font adjustment and brightness controls are wonderful features to have.    I now think about those poor people quarantined on ships (or even airbases) for weeks - having 20-30 books available would certainly help to pass the time.   

Because of the advantages of e-readers for older folks, and the fact that younger people seem to prefer videos for their entertainment, I suspect real libraries will not be coming back.