question about boarding times and the Key

shanley

Sorry if this was asked, I read the reviews on the Key but didn't find my answer.

I have purchased the the Key. I did my on-line check-in quite late and the only times for arrival are late in the afternoon. 

My boarding pass says "gold" and has a picture of a key beside it. Is the key image the indication that we have purchased the Key? I didn't see anything else on the boarding pass or in the app that would indicate that we have the key.  Can I still arrive in the morning, even though my time slot is late?

We were on Allure last week, no Key but expedited boarding. Got to the pier at 11am  (they wanted us there 1:30-2pm) and on board and eating a beef on weck by 11:20. I keep hearing the Key is a complete waste of money on the bigger ships. End of cruise we did self walk off and the people behind us had the Key and were saying they wished they didn't purchase. 

Cruising on Enchantment out of Galveston on Monday. We got the Key in part because of embarkation day perks (Chops menu in the MDR, carry-on baggage drop-off and deliver to room) and partly because Galveston can be a beast at debarkation.

However ... we've gotten word of a Coast Guard inspection that will push boarding back to 12:00-2:30 (at least). No idea what that will do to the timetable. Like, I don't know, will rooms not be ready until 3:00? Muster at 6:00? I figure we will get to port early anyway and hope the Key helps a little, but the whole lunch and bag drop may be out the window.

1 hour ago, pamici said:

Cruising on Enchantment out of Galveston on Monday. We got the Key in part because of embarkation day perks (Chops menu in the MDR, carry-on baggage drop-off and deliver to room) and partly because Galveston can be a beast at debarkation.

However ... we've gotten word of a Coast Guard inspection that will push boarding back to 12:00-2:30 (at least). No idea what that will do to the timetable. Like, I don't know, will rooms not be ready until 3:00? Muster at 6:00? I figure we will get to port early anyway and hope the Key helps a little, but the whole lunch and bag drop may be out the window.

I would think about cancelling The Key. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, renza said:

Time doesn’t matter to anyone. They do not go by time. Not sure what ship u r on but if it is oasis class u do not need key at all. Everyone is on and off ship so quick. Key is not worth it for anything. 

Hmm, so NO ONE gets any value out of The Key?????

I had it on my last cruise.   And I found it to be well worth it.

I arrived at the terminal after boarding started, but still got a shorter line at checkin.

Once on board, I went to the MDR, where they took my carry on to be delivered to my cabin (no toting around).  And had a very nice sit down, served lunch.

At each port, there was a meeting point, and disembarked before non-suite/non-Key guests, and the same at final disembarkation.

And got VOOM Surf and Stream included

I am always interested when someone tells ME what is of value to ME or not.  Do you know me that well?

Oh, and BTW, the Key cost me $40 for the cruise, as I would have gotten VOOM anyway.

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

I arrived at the terminal after boarding started, but still got a shorter line at checkin.

Once on board, I went to the MDR, where they took my carry on to be delivered to my cabin (no toting around).  And had a very nice sit down, served lunch.

At each port, there was a meeting point, and disembarked before non-suite/non-Key guests, and the same at final disembarkation.

I am always interested when someone tells ME what is of value to ME or not.  Do you know me that well?

Oh, and BTW, the Key cost me $40 for the cruise, as I would have gotten VOOM anyway.

I can say for an oasis class I think it’s a total waste of money. Boarding is so quick on these ships. From the parking garage in Miami on ship in 15 min tops at 11:15 in the morning. I take a small rolling bag that I don’t even consider to be lugging around. One lunch in dining room is no big deal. We go to park cafe and enjoy salad bar with roast beef sandwiches with very few people. Cabins open at 1, so after lunch u can take your bag to room and get your room key then.  I buy one internet which cost $11.99 a day for VOOM and surf. We share it. So no need for more than one internet. Show seats r not a big deal, have to show up early either way. They give you one time for the whole week for flow rider or other stuff. Of course it’s not a time u would go. We walked off ship with our luggage all 3 times so fast again. Key does nothing for getting off at ports on Oasis because non are tender ports. Just another way for royal to make money. And you have to buy on for every person in cabin. That’s crazy. $17-23 a day pp. so$238 dollars at the cheapest for 2 people for the week

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pamici said:

... we've gotten word of a Coast Guard inspection that will push boarding back to 12:00-2:30 (at least). No idea what that will do to the timetable. Like, I don't know, will rooms not be ready until 3:00? Muster at 6:00?

Coast Guard inspection times are pessimistic. Unless they have serious issues during the inspection you'll board closer to noon than 2:30. You can check in and then wait until they start boarding. 

The inspection will not push back the times the rooms are ready, or the muster drill.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, renza said:

I can say for an oasis class I think it’s a total waste of money. Boarding is so quick on these ships. From the parking garage in Miami on ship in 15 min tops at 11:15 in the morning. I take a small rolling bag that I don’t even consider to be lugging around. One lunch in dining room is no big deal. We go to park cafe and enjoy salad bar with roast beef sandwiches with very few people. Cabins open at 1, so after lunch u can take your bag to room and get your room key then.  I buy one internet which cost $11.99 a day for VOOM and surf. We share it. So no need for more than one internet. Show seats r not a big deal, have to show up early either way. They give you one time for the whole week for flow rider or other stuff. Of course it’s not a time u would go. We walked off ship with our luggage all 3 times so fast again. Key does nothing for getting off at ports on Oasis because non are tender ports. Just another way for royal to make money. And you have to buy on for every person in cabin. That’s crazy. $17-23 a day pp. so$238 dollars at the cheapest for 2 people for the week

My thoughts exactly. Mind you, if people want to spend the money so be it, it's theirs after all......and some people just really love the idea that they may be treated extra special and don't mind paying more in order to feel that way. 

58 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Coast Guard inspection times are pessimistic. Unless they have serious issues during the inspection you'll board closer to noon than 2:30. You can check in and then wait until they start boarding. 

The inspection will not push back the times the rooms are ready, or the muster drill.

That's the kind of experienced insight I'm looking for - Thanks!!

23 hours ago, SRF said:

I think if it only cost $40 for the cruise it might be worth it to ME to use the internet that I don't usually use.  How did you get it for only $40?  If the price included using OBC, then I'd rather use that for something else.  Thanks.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:10 PM, SRF said:

I agree if you are buying VOOM, the Key isn't much more.  We had already decided we didn't want to share the internet this time. The price difference was minimal.

I have highly anxious person in our group who doesn't do well with crowds. Avoiding the buffet at embarkation is worth it for us! If we can avoid standing in a few more lines than it will make the small cost more than worth it.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:10 PM, SRF said:

We sailed on two cruises out of Fll on the Allure when the key was offered to people.

We did not take the offer because we sail in suites.

However, our new cruising friends (met on our roll call did take it and we met up 5-6 times during our sailing for slot pull, drinks, cabin crawl and such).

They shared their experience.

The Key guest boarded after Diamond+

And went to drop off location for their carry-ons.  They had to wait for someone to come  to the check in area to take their carry-ons and were surprised to see the bags left unattended when workers just walked away from the area. They kept their bags, not feeling safe leaving them.  

They proceeded to their luncheon.

They said the modified menu was OK, having eaten in Chops before they were a little disappointed.

They loved the saved seating, but they still had to get their early, because many cruisers purchased the KEY on our sailing and they did still wanted to get a seat.

They loved the included Voom, that was one of the best perks.

Yes, Key people walked off early on Labadee as well as    those who booked early excursions on Labadee were walking out with us.  So it was kinda a KEY benefit on Labadee.  I do not know about other ports how it worked we left on those well after they let people off.

After the cruise they did do a post cruise summary, and did comment in their write up that the group guided disembarkation was one of the best things they every had. They could not believe how quick they left the ship and were thru customs.

You are lucky to get the KEY for $40 dollars for the key benefits.

On a 7 day cruise that would be under $6 dollars a day!!!!

For that price if I were not in a suite I would do it.  (for voom and disembark).

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

4 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

You are lucky to get the KEY for $40 dollars for the key benefits.

On a 7 day cruise that would be under $6 dollars a day!!!!

The key is priced per person per day and each person in the stateroom must purchase it.

$40 a day is not worth it IMO. 

31 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The key is priced per person per day and each person in the stateroom must purchase it.

$40 a day is not worth it IMO. 

I think that the poster paid $40 for the cruise.  And it was definitely not a 7 night cruise.  But perhaps we'll get more details.  😉 

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that the poster paid $40 for the cruise.  And it was definitely not a 7 night cruise.  But perhaps we'll get more details.  😉 

Details would be great because at $40 for the cruise it would have been a 2 day cruise based on $20 per day which is as low as I've seen it

I think she meant the difference she would have paid for VOOM and the price of the KEY was $40 for the week because she said she would have been paying for VOOM anyway. So she could possibly have gotten the KEY for 19.99 per day and figuring 11.99 per day for VOOM and the key for 8.00 per day and be on a 5 day cruise. That would add up to $40.00

• Like 1