Italy now has Level 3 Travel Alert - 2/29

az_tchr

Am booked on May 15 from Rome to Greece and back. Tomorrow the cancellation penalty goes from 25% to 50%. I talked to Celebrity and they doubted that it will be cancelled. They ‘think’ the first plan would be to change port for embarking/ disembarking. That would mean a scramble to change air flights.  And then what happens if Greece won’t allow ship into port or if Celebrity decides Greece is too contaminated.   I don’t have ‘cancel for any reason’ insurance. I have given myself til the end of today to decide. 

2 hours ago, 1960Travel said:

We are booked on the Edge out of Rome May 4, if the situation reaches a level 4 have to wait and see if the cruise is cancelled.  We paid final payment already .

41 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Not sure what you are looking for. There are three levels of traveler alerts. Level 3 is the highest and says avoid non essential travel. Same as China. CDC doesn't show a Level 4.

Within the US, there are at least two government bodies providing travel alerts, the CDC and the Department of State. The former has 3 alert level while the latter has 4 levels. The CDC has issued a Level 3 Warning (Avoid Non-Essential Travel) and State has issued a Level 3 Advisory (Reconsider Travel). State has not as yet issued a Level 4 Advisory (Do Not Travel).

When talking about warning/advisories, it's important to understand which body has issued it. It's also important to realize that the CDC's highest level (avoid non-essential travel) is significantly lower than State's highest level (do not travel). A further point of consideration is whether insurance companies are using CDC or State levels when considering coverage in countries or regions subject to a travel advisory.

As @1960Travel is from Canada, insurance coverage would be based on Canada's 4-level travel advisory system. Although the wording is slightly different, it parallels that used by State. Whereas State's Level 4 is "Do Not Travel", ours is "Avoid all Travel".

I don't know if different insurance companies vary in their approach, but under Exclusions and Limitations my travel insurance includes the following:

Any illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract, or

any loss you incur in a specific country, region or area for which

the Government of Canada, including Foreign Affairs, Trade and

Development Canada, has issued a travel advisory or formal

notice, before your day of departure advising travellers to avoid

non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to that specific country,

region or area.

So, no coverage starting with a Level 3 advisory with my policy.

Sailing on Apex out of Rome June 13. Called Celebrity & they said no extension on our final payment which is due in six days. I was told that was only for a few select northern european cruises in May up to june 6.

• Like 1

My travel insurance specifically excludes epidemics and was purchased in November (from what I’ve seen, most have that exclusion, even when purchased prior to Jan 22). If the cruise is canceled the cruise line would refund but then I’d have plane tickets for no reason. Seems insurance would cover that based on what I read in my policy. 

15 minutes ago, bauermj said:

Sailing on Apex out of Rome June 13. Called Celebrity & they said no extension on our final payment which is due in six days. I was told that was only for a few select northern european cruises in May up to june 6.

I was told this morning it was for all sailings out of Rome from May into end of June.  I would call back and ask to speak to resolutions department. Its possible not all Celebrity reps have complete information. 

3 hours ago, az_tchr said:

Sadly California appears to have community based cases reported. Not clear yet but not looking good.

Yes. She was diagnosed about 2 miles from my house and even closer to where I walk daily.   It is still unclear where and how she contracted the disease as she had not traveled nor been in contact with anyone who had traveled.   It i being  reported  that she is has chronic medical conditions prior to exposure.

32 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

It doesn’t help the confusion that the US State Dept and CDC have different travel alert classification levels. 

The CDC and State Department have completely different responsibilities. It makes complete sense that only the State Department has a level 4/do not travel, as they evaluate terrorist threats, civil unrest, and other issues that might negatively impact the travel of US citizens. I don’t plan trips outside the country without checking both, and I haven’t any issues with with their respective warning tiers.

19 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I was told this morning it was for all sailings out of Rome from May into end of June.  I would call back and ask to speak to resolutions department. Its possible not all Celebrity reps have complete information. 

drake2 - thank you for my morning laugh. It is well beyond possible Celebrity reps do not have complete info. The executive suite is busy this weekend trying decide what to do. So far they pushed back making a final decision for many and hope the Level 3 goes away for Italy. If not seems likely cruising out of Italy is finished this year as it would be impossible to get to any port and not come within 6' of an Italian.

• Like 1

A couple of things to ponder:

CDC issued a blanket level 3 travel health notice for Italy.  The Lazio region, in which Rome & Civitavecchia are located, currently has no cases of coronavirus.  The situation could change, of course, as it could anywhere.

At least one airline has refused to waive cancellation/change fees to Rome, as it is not on their current list of airports.

Believe me, I am concerned, as I am scheduled to fly to Venice in May.  I'm personally really not that concerned about the coronavirus, but more concerned about the panic and possible cancellation of trip arrangements. 

I'm hoping that, just as I was impacted by the 2009 bird flu pandemic that infected 6.8 billion (that's right, BILLION), the coronavirus will flame out in the spring and the media can move on to the next story.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Question does celebrity have any wiggle room on cancellation and not refunding? Is there some type of disaster clause in our  contracts?

Probably, but if Celebrity did that they would destroy the company. FCC would do the same. There are times a company needs to do what is best for the future of the company in the long term.

IMHO no possible way they say sorry. 

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes. She was diagnosed about 2 miles from my house and even closer to where I walk daily.   It is still unclear where and how she contracted the disease as she had not traveled nor been in contact with anyone who had traveled.   It i being  reported  that she is has chronic medical conditions prior to exposure.

Jim, are the people of your neighborhood taking precautions such as wearing masks, staying home, school or business closures? 

1 hour ago, tomcruiser1234 said:

Question does celebrity have any wiggle room on cancellation and not refunding? Is there some type of disaster clause in our  contracts?

I do not believe the cruise contract would allow Celebrity to cancel and not provide a refund.  They can make major modifications without a refund, but not an outright cancellation.  However, if things really get bad, and most or all cruises worldwide are cancelled, I doubt Celebrity would have enough money to refund everyone.

1 hour ago, bauermj said:

We are on this same cruise, thanks for this info. 

3 hours ago, Orator said:

On Edge April TA and confident that Celebrity will make the right decision. Booked return flight with Choice Air so they'll handle any changes. If they cancel the cruise I'll get a refund and a Future Cruise Credit. If they dock in another port Celebrity will handle flight arrangements..Why spend time worrying about things that are beyond my control?

I get your logic, but for some people their upcoming cruise is their once a year, highly anticipated  holiday break.  (that would be me :) )  So now that it looks like there are cases showing in N. CA I'm concerned that our Alaska cruise (Vancouver to Seattle)  will be affected.  

If Celebrity decides to apply the same restrictions to Seattle as they did N. Italy, then obviously we're in for a change.  

trying not to obsess, but being that I obsess over planning our travel, why would this be any different ??  :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hllb said:

Isn’t China level 4? Italy is level 3 now. Still terrible. Our cruise leaves out of Venice in July. I’ve got a month until final payment.

there are reports of celebrity and royal Caribbean extending final payment dates by a month for a small number of Mediterranean cruises (those leaving end of May to June 11th I think). Fantastic idea and I really hope they do that for my cruise too.

This cruise is my daughter’s 16th birthday present and our first trip to Italy. I’ve spent months saving up the money so to just lose it is painful. My insurance won’t cover this (probably). Right now, before final payment, I’d lose $2500. Painful but not horrendous. After final payment though...ouch.

Totally understand how upsetting that is. By better to be safe than sorry! Really. 

5 hours ago, Orator said:

On Edge April TA and confident that Celebrity will make the right decision. Booked return flight with Choice Air so they'll handle any changes. If they cancel the cruise I'll get a refund and a Future Cruise Credit. If they dock in another port Celebrity will handle flight arrangements..Why spend time worrying about things that are beyond my control?

When you are flying across the world from Australia for a flight that takes over 24 hours then I need to worry a little!

55 minutes ago, Maxgolf said:

I do hope that Celebrity will not dump us off in Italy.

They should re-route us to disembark elsewhere.  I refuse to go to Italy.

Most of Edges cruise comprise 60-70% of Italian ports. And Rome being the embarkation and disembarkation port for us. 

I have been on many Celebrity ships and have experienced missed ports and change in ports. Each time I've been treated more than fairly and am convinced that Celebrity really places the Heath and welfare of their employees and passengers as their top priority. I've been very critical of Celebrity in the past, but not about how they've responded when faced with difficult situations. Just keep calm and let the situation work itself out. That's what I plan to do.

• Like 3

Presser by Trump this afternoon said that  there are travel advisory to italy. And  all those coming from italy will need a  to be checked before  coming into US.

UConn ,my local private college are  cancelling the student programs in Rome. In the local case they are shutting down the  school they own in rome for  the rest of the school year. The students are coming home.

Reuter just reported that Italy now has 1,000 case of virus. Nien days ago they had handfull  confirmed.