Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

This was on our travel agent's web site but I could not find it on Celebrity’s web site.  This was listed under the provisions being made by Celebrity.  It does not indicate that you will be refunded money but just will receive credit,

If it is decided that we must unfortunately deny you boarding, you'll receive
a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any pre-cruise Celebrity
purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment

58 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF you were willing to pay for the trip for the family, why would you be bothered by them having the FCC? 

Because it gives us less flexibility in our future plans. For instance let’s say we decided to do something else this year and cancel the idea of a cruise, we would not have the ability to apply those FCCs to other trips we have booked for ourselves only. Believe me I have no hesitation spending the money on my family, I just want all of us to choose how to do it.

13 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

So was this sent by Celebrity or the TA on behalf of the customer. What happens if the doctor won't give a note?

Ontario Cruiser

Just print the form, goto a clinic and pay the fee, ~$50-$100. and get a doctor to verify your health and to sign it.    Google “travel clinic (your city)” and at least one should pop up.  I just googled, and in their appt list, one of the things in the option list was “physical examination”.  And when I pulled up the availability schedule it was wide open for next week.  It’s at least worth the call if you don’t have a family doctor who can see you prior to trip.  But I see the memo says a qualified physician, so make sure it’s not an RPN, or get clarity from Celebrity if RPN qualifies. 

Edited by jrs101

13 hours ago, thon said:

I just got the email many were thinking might get sent out from Celebrity.  Effective 16 March those over 70 will need a doctors note.

what was the email?  we didn't receive it...just the generic one last night re what they were doing to keep the virus from spreading.

12 hours ago, luv2cruisemore said:

We cancelled our March 20 cruise last Saturday for a FCC. We’re 70 and 71, both with conditions that would prevent us from cruising. Viking made their refund plan retroactive. I’m wondering if anyone know if Celebrity’s plan is the same? I’d much rather have a credit card refund.

My understanding is that your credit card refunds only consists of those from airfares via Celebrity, excursions, etc. not the cruise fare or port fees and taxes.

Please note that " all Cruise with Confidence FCC must be redeemed on sailings departing on-or-before December 31, 2021. You will pay the difference if the new cruise fare is more than the FCC. If lower, the new cruise fare will be covered in full but any remaining Future Cruise Credit will be issued "30 days after the sailing and must be used within 6 months." For those who have a large FCC, this 30 days limitation needs to be considered in planning future cruises.

Best wishes to all.

It is good to know that my wife, a cancer survivor and thankfully in good health now, will have to burden her oncologist for documentation that she is fit to travel just to take an overpriced, boring Celebrity cruise. I am certain that her doctor has nothing better to do than this.

This is just another in a very long list of missteps by incompetent, out of touch Celebrity management - led by the brilliant LLP. Up until just a few years ago, we absolutely loved the Celebrity product and always believed it provided exceptional value and our experience always exceeded our expectations. But based on our past few cruises with them and much of what I read on this site, we no longer feel that way. I wish that the RCL Board would look long and hard at the direction the Celebrity executives are taking this brand and listen to the feedback passengers are providing. Shame on you Celebrity.

• Like 2

It is very unfortunate that Celebrity has decided to implement this requirement for people over 70.  However, they did not have a choice.  The government has forced the cruise industry to come up with these changes.  I am very upset that some governments have tried to place the blame on the cruise industry for this mess.  The cruise industry did not create this problem and they should not be required to fix it.  Unfortunately, this virus has probably changed cruising to something that will no longer be a pleasurable experience.

It will all be a moot point.  It is likely that RCL lines like Celebrity will soon follow the lead of Princess suspending operations for 60 days.  From the Princess web site:

SANTA CLARITA, Calif (March 12, 2020) In proactive response to the unpredictable circumstances evolving from the global spread of COVID-19 and in an abundance of caution, Princess Cruises announced that it will voluntarily pause global operations of its 18 cruise ships for two months (60 days), impacting voyages departing March 12 to May 10.

Just sign you doctors name or put any signature on it.    Here you go.  The people that are worried about this one are the ones who when asked for the email by everyone in the world they give them their real email or real phone number.  Just google search doctor signature there are 100's to choose from.  You think they will call the office and if they do they will really get someone to answer the phone in the office.

download.jpeg

Edited by MartiniBarhooked

The International Diabetes Federation and the CDC both specifically warn diabetic patients are at an elevated risk with COVID-19. No reputable doctor is going to sign a form, note or letter saying that a diabetic patient is fit to cruise. 

From the IBF website:

Older people and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart disease and asthma) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the COVID-19 virus. When people with diabetes develop a viral infection, it can be harder to treat due to fluctuations in blood glucose levels and, possibly, the presence of diabetes complications. There appear to be two reasons for this. Firstly, the immune system is compromised, making it harder to fight the virus and likely leading to a longer recovery period. Secondly, the virus may thrive in an environment of elevated blood glucose.

Wait....Are you talking about under 70s now?

For instance, the Type II diabetes people are speaking of.  If the person is under 70, will the cruiseline ask if they have this, this, this, or this?  

I also wonder about the word "severe."  I don't have diabetes, but I would think that a person whose diabetes is under control would, of course, be considered chronic, but severe?

Edited by mafig

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know it is convenient to blame Celebrity but in this case they are implementing what was proposed by Cruise Line International Association.   Initially Pence was to make a decision on this proposal for ALL cruise lines but haven't heard if he auctioned it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-cruise-industry-proposes-travel-ban-for-people-over-70.html

Thanks for the clarification much appreciated.  I reacted strongly as I see this as discrimination and that gets my blood boiling.  I would prefer to see a temporary halt on cruises (air travel too) similar to what Princess has done.  We need to flatten the curve and encouraging people to stay home will help with this.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

• Like 1

Judging from some of the responses I bet that this form is just as effective as the old health form was in preventing the spread of illness. Why not simply have a passenger sign a release form at check in? No need to see a Doctor and enter an office where there are potentially sick people.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mafig said:

Wait....Are you talking about under 70s now?

For instance, the Type II diabetes people are speaking of.  If the person is under 70, will the cruiseline ask if they have this, this, this, or this?  

I also wonder about the word "severe."  I don't have diabetes, but I would think that a person whose diabetes is under control would, of course, be considered chronic, but severe?

I called and asked this exact question last night. We have a friend with a diabetic child Who wanted to join our cruise and they said regardless of age, if anyone has any of those conditions they would be denied boarding. It’s not just 70+. 

2 minutes ago, tiggy85 said:

I called and asked this exact question last night. We have a friend with a diabetic child Who wanted to join our cruise and they said regardless of age, if anyone has any of those conditions they would be denied boarding. It’s not just 70+. 

So they'll be just asking people?  

That seems strange, doesn't it?

I guess they think people 69 and under are honest, but once you turn 70 you're not to be trusted to tell the truth and need a doctor's note.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mafig said:

If you are referring to the IDF citation above, it doesn't address the severity of the diabetes. Rather, it says that people with diabetes "appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the COVID-19 virus."

And how do they categorize Cardiovascular disease?  There going to be High Blood Pressure police at the piers?  I didn't see anything about them checking blood pressures along with temps.  This is all crazy.  I spoke to my cardiologist...no way he was going to sign any waivers.  He just told me to make my own decision and if I decided to go, to have a good time and sanitize a lot!  LOL

1 hour ago, MartiniBarhooked said:

Just sign you doctors name or put any signature on it.    Here you go.  The people that are worried about this one are the ones who when asked for the email by everyone in the world they give them their real email or real phone number.  Just google search doctor signature there are 100's to choose from.  You think they will call the office and if they do they will really get someone to answer the phone in the office.

download.jpeg

The potential problem comes with travel insurance. If you have a medical issue during the cruise (not corona related) and have to interrupt your trip or seek medical services and incur costs because of that, the travel insurance provider may deny your claim because you were not supposed to be on board that ship in the first place due to this doctor’s note restriction that you used a fake signature for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

What use is a FCC if you are “not fit to cruise” or if the company goes under?

This not fit to cruise thing is only temporary while corona is active. The FCCs are good until the end of 2021 are they not?