Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Assuming your DR doe snot feel you are OK to cruise, why would you need to show it at the time of boarding? Is Celebrity insisting folks travel to port, to state their DR says they can't cruise and then submit the form? That is nuts.

• Like 2

I had the same question about my husband's Multiple Sclerosis. I would call, but we're almost surely going to cancel using CWC because European ports are just too iffy right now (April 13 Apex Northern Europe Capitals).

This new protocol does nothing to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on a Celebrity ship. All of the checking prior to boarding is the same as it was previously. The way I read it is we will probably have the virus on board, either a passenger or crew. We are trying to keep the death rate down by keeping 70+ year olds off the ship. 

PS - I am not 70

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

So was this sent by Celebrity or the TA on behalf of the customer. What happens if the doctor won't give a note?

Ontario Cruiser

hmmm maybe find a new Dr? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, embpat said:

My question is  if I am a  type II diabetic that is healthy and only  take oral medication will I be denied boarding for my cruise?

Diabetes is a chronic medical condition, no matter how it is managed. I understand that you say you are living a healthier lifestyle than many people, but that doesn't mean you do not have diabetes. Sorry but I don't think you are cruising. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

This new protocol does nothing to prevent the spread of COVID-19 on a Celebrity ship. All of the checking prior to boarding is the same as it was previously. The way I read it is we will probably have the virus on board, either a passenger or crew. We are trying to keep the death rate down by keeping 70+ year olds off the ship. 

PS - I am not 70

Then give them a full refund not FCC Ontario Cruiser

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

Assuming your DR doe snot feel you are OK to cruise, why would you need to show it at the time of boarding? Is Celebrity insisting folks travel to port, to state their DR says they can't cruise and then submit the form? That is nuts.

If your doctor advises you that you are not healthy enough to travel you cancel the cruise. Even when you get to the embarkation port with your doctors note you're still required to go through the mandatory temperature screening.  

Edited by davekathy

I’m not quite sure what they’re trying to accomplish with this certification.   Is a passenger over 70 with serious medical conditions more likely to contract the virus if it’s somewhere on the ship and therefore spread it around?  Are they more likely to be an asymptomatic carrier?  Are they trying to minimize risk to someone who falls into the more vulnerable group, i.e., reduce the risk of that person from having a more serious reaction or even death if he/she should contract the virus while on board? 

12 minutes ago, JOHN474 said:

You wouldn't. Without a doctor's ok, you aren't going to be able to board. Cancel your cruise and save taking a trip to the port.

1 minute ago, twentyknots said:

I’m not quite sure what they’re trying to accomplish with this certification.   Is a passenger over 70 with serious medical conditions more likely to contract the virus if it’s somewhere on the ship and therefore spread it around?  Are they more likely to be an asymptomatic carrier?  Are they trying to minimize risk to someone who falls into the more vulnerable group, i.e., reduce the risk of that person from having a more serious reaction or even death if he/she should contract the virus while on board? 

The case fatality rate increases dramatically with age. This is theoretically to minimize serious illness or death on the cruise. 

• Like 1

We have a cruise booked for April and just received the email.  Although neither DH or I are over 70 I am disappointed with Celebrity for this approach.   Age discrimination is not the answer.  There are so many restrictions in their letter that it should be obvious to X that it would be best to put a temporary hold on cruising and give us a chance to get past this.   I find it ironic that we get this letter full of restrictions and doom and gloom and then the last sentence says have an incredible vacation.  Wow.  

• Like 4

Surely by implementing these new protocols, Celebrity are changing the terms of the contract? Would this not then require them to issue a refund and not a FCC?

If you fall into this category and to avoid arriving at the port to be denied boarding, you cancel in advance, are you then in the position of having cancelled therefore expect a FCC? Alternatively, if you arrive at the terminal and Celebrity deny you boarding, they are actually cancelling and you should be entitled to a full refund.

Does this make sense?

Edited by RoxyDoxy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Carole2313 said:

Just got email from Celebrity that no one over 70 can board without Drs. Note It’s true, go to your email.

We have a long way to go, since our cruise is not until September. 
However, We have not yet received anything from Celebrity.

Just hoping Celebrity is not bankrupt

by then. 😯

Edited by $hip$hape

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

The case fatality rate increases dramatically with age. This is theoretically to minimize serious illness or death on the cruise. 

If that's their objective then they should have had this kind of medical certification in place for years?  Those of us who cruise a lot have seen many passengers over the years who we thought might not make it for the duration.  And some don't.  Their serious illness or even death while sailing had nothing to with a virus.  Many were just old with serious medical conditions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not a very well thought out form.

Note no space for printed name and address of doctor, medical registration number, etc.

What’s to stop anyone from scribbling a signature and adding M.D. after it??

• Like 1

Rather short notice for some of us leaving  for a cruise on the 23rd!  Good luck to me trying to get in to see my Doc!  As if we are not already stressed not knowing what to expect once we board whether we will be turned away from most ports in the Caribbean,  whether we or someone else is a host of the virus.  Not impressed with Celebrity inaction!

15 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

I imagine it’s probably down to numbers. The more over 70s they have onboard the more chance they have of dying if they contract the virus. And if they have underlying health problems the chances of them dying are even greater.

A significantly higher proportion of people overall onboard Diamond Princess died than the normal population death rate. Most were elderly and had underlying health conditions, apparently. I guess they don’t want all the bad publicity which would surround such deaths.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Thanks 1