Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

I wonder...my internist (or ob/gyn, or even my ophthalmologist) all have my medical records.  In my case, I'm 66 with type 2 diabetes and controlled hypertension.  In no universe would any of them sign this form - without even seeing me. 

If someone went to a walk in clinic (like getting a kid's sports exam for school), I'm assuming any vaguely ethical healthcare provider would be asking for names of other doctors, medications taken, etc.  Assuming the patient tells the truth, the medication list alone would indicate conditions like asthma, hypertension, asthma, chronic respiratory issues, diabetes - all the things that every medical provider know increases the risk with COVID-19.  

IMO, this is just a way to ban travel, especially by the high risk group, without just having the guts to stand down cruises.  I do think draconian measures have to be taken to try and mitigate the spread of the virus, so we don't overwhelm the health systems by all getting sick at once.

Edited by greykitty

13 hours ago, bikerunner said:

And have the media not over blow something like this. They need to make money.  They are enjoying sensationalizing this along with anything else. They need to draw views to make money.  The media is terrible.  I been in meetings half the day setting up protocols for the hospitals I work for.  There is a lot being locked down with travel groups meetings etc.  that much I will say should be done.  Especially with keeping the hc workwrs healthy as possible.  

im very unsavvy when it comes to media and marketing etc. how does the media make more money from headlines. obviously no one buys newspapers anymore so thats not it. and i think everyone ignores ads online or has ad blockers. so im always curious about behind the scenes things like this. 

22 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Read this article.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

My husband is 73 and in good health so I guess he could get a note...

My husband and I are 70 so guess we had better have a letter from our doctor just to be in the safe side.  However, our Celebrity European cruise is not until September....

22 hours ago, TeeRick said:

IMO- I think this makes some sense in this time of turmoil and only for a short period - perhaps reviewed monthly.  On the other hand what person plus-70 who is not healthy would cruise now anyway??

My husband and I have a Celebrity northern European capitals cruise scheduled for September 19th.  Am I being naive in hoping the coronavirus will be stopped by then?

I know, hard to resign oneself to having to have a note in order to go on a cruise vacation. As a 70+ senior citizen it seems rather infantile and an affront to our personal ability to look out for our own well-being. I do not see it that way. Rather, I see it as a reminder that I might be more susceptible to a tragic outcome if exposed to this dangerous worldwide intruder. Perhaps I need that extra kick-in-the butt not to invite a risky situation into my life. Add to that the fact young people and children - grandkids for example - can be carriers and asymptomatic. That could present challenges at home. Never mind traveling abroad. A prudent decision, logically based is what's called for, whatever that may be.

As for the media over-blowing the current situation, indeed they are not. I would rather be bombarded, than have no information at all. 

6 hours ago, greykitty said:

Age discrimination my foot.  No one minds those lovely senior discounts (I love Tuesdays in my area - 10% off at so many places!).  They're looking at the mortality tables by age for COVID-19, as should we all.

Where were they when all the infectious children troop on with flu and cold infections all these years?. Do they have to have Peds note? Hope so.

Celeb and others may well see a shift in their demographics in the future.

After we get through our various cancellatiins, etc, we will  hopefully finish out 2 remaining cruises with fcc

.  Looking for other vacation options in the future. After hurricane Sandy, we loved Sandals in concierge / suite levels. Great rooms, on the ocean huge uncrowded pools...one quiet, one for fun.. modern gym,  super spa..better prices, excellent dining and diff  entertainment each night, active excursions, pampered service...door to door!    Very relaxing!

Maybe time to book there in the future,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

Celeb and others may well see a shift in their demographics in the future.

After we get through our various cancellatiins, etc, we will  hopefully finish out 2 remaining cruises with fcc

.  Looking for other vacation options in the future. After hurricane Sandy, we loved Sandals in concierge / suite levels. Great rooms, on the ocean huge uncrowded pools...one quiet, one for fun.. modern gym,  super spa..better prices, excellent dining and diff  entertainment each night, active excursions, pampered service...door to door!    Very relaxing!

Maybe time to book there in the future,

We holidayed at Sandals for a number of years before making the switch to cruising and had been thinking of returning for a visit or two even before COVID-19 came along. After using our FCC with Celebrity, we'll give it some serious thought.

British Government have just advised that all over 70's and those with serious underlying illnesses including ingrown toenails do not go on cruises.

Just wonder if I will get my deposit back as it’s Government Directive.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

I have no problem with them requiring a note for all future cruisers over 70 from now on. I resent the fact that they want to make it retroactive for everybody, no matter when they booked.

If this flies: 

I'm in pretty good health and I do all the necessary doctor exams and tests to try to stay ahead of the game, I don't need anybody in the ivory castle telling me different. We have a cruise booked in December and I have a doctor's appointment this Tuesday, will that work?

They accepted my payment as I met all their requirements at the time. I would never have booked if that was a requirement, that means since they changed the requirements. I should get a full cah refund no fcc with an expiration date.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

British Government have just advised that all over 70's and those with serious underlying illnesses including ingrown toenails do not go on cruises.

Just wonder if I will get my deposit back as it’s Government Directive.

Not quite what Boris said. Ignore the words "and those". Good point about the deposits, I wonder about my £3000+ air fares to Canada in June. Troubled times for us poor old wrinkles.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

We holidayed at Sandals for a number of years before making the switch to cruising and had been thinking of returning for a visit or two even before COVID-19 came along. After using our FCC with Celebrity, we'll give it some serious thought.

Yup..all sorts of Options for golf, snorkelling,  spa, beach , chillin' , reggae bands  movies.  We are planning to reactivate our membership.. right after we cruise through!

Costs were comparable to a nice cruise...treated like gold!  Just saw an ad for the Royal Bahamian..great resort..with an offshore island restaurant and  beach/ pool retreat..,Great mix of guests by age categories and internationally..very enjoyable!

,we love cruising but not the best of times, esp if we need to involve our doctor ...

Edited by hcat

Sandals is great for those who do not worry about skin cancer.   Both of my husband’s parents have had all three types so we avoid the sun even with sunscreen.    We are more for northern climate vacations which effectively eliminates Sandals.  We have gone once but much preferred the activities at Club Med.   Loved the Olympics they had at the end of every week.   Sandals was too sedentary for us but there were loads of honeymooners and no kids.

This is the link to the advice from the British Government. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

Guidance

Cruise ship travel

Guidance for British people about cruise ship holidays, with specific advice for people aged 70 and over and people with health conditions.

Published 12 March 2020

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises British nationals aged 70 and over and those with pre-existing health conditions against cruise ship travel at this time.

This is based on the government Chief Medical Officer’s advice. It follows a number of cruise ships around the world being locked down due to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks on board.

If you are aged 70 and over, or if you have underlying health conditions, an outbreak on board could put you at a higher risk of severe disease. This could lead to hospitalisation in another country, and potential disruption to medical care for any underlying conditions.

Underlying health conditions include, but are not limited to:

chronic respiratory disease, including asthma

chronic heart disease

chronic renal disease

chronic liver disease

chronic neurological disease

diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs

weakened immune system due to drug treatment or disease

current or recent chemotherapy

This list is not exhaustive. If you are in any doubt and you have a chronic health condition, you should speak to your doctor.

Plan ahead

All cruise ship passengers or those planning to go on a cruise should be aware a COVID-19 outbreak on board is possible, and your travel may be disrupted.

If you already have cruise travel plans, you should speak to your travel operator or the travel company you booked with for further advice.

If you’re already on a cruise ship, you should follow the advice of the ship’s authorities. This includes complying with any precautionary health measures or quarantine procedures that may be put in place.

For further information on preparing to travel abroad and helping reduce the spread of the virus, see the NHS guidance and the TravelHealthPro guidance.

Published 12 March 2020

41 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Sandals is great for those who do not worry about skin cancer.   Both of my husband’s parents have had all three types so we avoid the sun even with sunscreen.    We are more for northern climate vacations which effectively eliminates Sandals.  We have gone once but much preferred the activities at Club Med.   Loved the Olympics they had at the end of every week.   Sandals was too sedentary for us but there were loads of honeymooners and no kids.

I don't want to go off-topic too long, but I really have to respond to your comments. 

You can have as much or as little sun as you like at Sandals, just as you can on a cruise or with a northern climate vacation.

If it's too sedentary for you, you're simply not taking advantage of the many activities offered by Sandals. This may not be an all-inclusive list, but it gives you some idea. 

Golf 

Croquet 

Fitness Center 

Beach Volleyball 

Billards Tables 

Rock-Wall Climbing 

Cricket 

Basketball 

Day & Night Tennis 

Horseshoes 

Darts 

Bocce Ball 

Shuffleboard 

Lawn Chess 

Table Tennis 

Cards 

Dominoes 

Squash 

Raquetball 

Board Games 

Pool Tables 

Volleyball 

Pool

Scuba Diving

Snorkeling

Kayaking

Windsurfing

Paddle Boarding

Sailing (Hobie Cats)

15 minutes ago, SusieV said:

They just did it, effective March 16. Anyone over 70 requires a doctor's note. I got an email.

Who is “They”?

(Sorry, but I have short-term memory loss)

Edited by $hip$hape