Some people 70+ should be barred from boarding cruise ships???

RWMike

Well in most states, I am in Colorado and you can verify a Dr License with the state, you can see their license number anyone can sign the form.

this one is expired 

Name Public Address
XXXXXXXX Bishop TUCSON, AZ 85750

License Information

Some Physician Licensees have converted their Active Physician license to an Active Compact Physician License. This is noted below by the status label: Transferred to Compact Physician. If this status is present, then you may verify the license by searching for the license using the prefix "CDRH" and the Licensees Name on our Online Services page.

License Number License Method License Type License Status Original Issue Date Effective Date Expiration Date
DR.0019418 Original Physician Expired 07/08/1975 06/01/2011 04/30/2013

20 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

Anyone know where to get a form to fill out and take to doctor?  Just in case RCCL issues a similar requirement.

On the NCL form is says that it needs to be dated within 7 days of sailing so there is no reason to try to get ahead of the possibility of RCL implementing the policy,

11 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

On the NCL form is says that it needs to be dated within 7 days of sailing so there is no reason to try to get ahead of the possibility of RCL implementing the policy,

I just saw that on Celebrity's website, they are requiring a doctor's note for those 70+

If they do this, I can not go with my 11 year old grandaughter on Oasis April 12 and she can not sail alone!  They will have to refund me,  not issue FCC.  I am healthier then a lot of younger people!  I am furious they would require me to have a note!

What doctor would sign it like a previous poster stated?  The doctor could be sued!  How idiotic this whole situation is!

Just received this:

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Pinnacle Club member,

As our most frequent cruisers and most loyal guests, you’ve entrusted us to provide you with adventurous and memorable cruise vacations. Throughout those years, you’ve truly become a part of the Royal Caribbean family – and we hope that there will be many more memories and good times to come. After many difficult discussions, we have determined that for the protection of everyone and in alignment with government guidance, we are putting the below regulations in place. As a part of the family, we wanted you to know first and send you a copy of what we will be sending all our guests shortly. We appreciate your understanding. 

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Dear Guest,

We’re sure you’ve been monitoring the news regarding coronavirus COVID-19. This situation remains quite fluid, and we continue to assess the impact and monitor the number of cases around the world. And while there are still a lot of unknowns related to coronavirus COVID-19, we do know it presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.

As global developments continue to change daily, we are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests & crew - especially those that are most compromised.

As a result, and to protect your well-being, along with guidance from the U.S. Centers of Disease Control, World Health Organization, and other global public health authorities, we continue to implement new and enhanced health & safety protocols, along with travel regulations. Here’s what you need to know. 

OUR TRAVEL REGULATION & HEALTH SCREENINGS 

TRAVEL REGULATION:

Starting March 16th, 2020, in order to sail: 

1. If you are over the age of 70 at the time of embarkation, you must present a doctor’s letter stating that you’re healthy and fit to travel. Please bring this letter with you which must certify that you have no severe, chronic medical conditions.  

2. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying issues (chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer).

If you are unable to provide a fit to travel letter from your doctor or if you have a severe, chronic medical condition, please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately and we’ll provide you with a Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with us at a later time.

Currently, regardless of nationality, boarding will be denied to: 

1. Any person who has traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or Europe (excluding the United Kingdom) 15 days prior to embarkation. 

2. Any person who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, or Europe (refer to the above link). The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

3. Any person who within 15 days prior to embarkation, has had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.

4. Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: The above parameters will also include Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan, but 21 days prior to embarkation. 

HEALTH SCREENINGS:

On all Royal Caribbean International ships, mandatory temperature screenings will be conducted for all guests and crewmembers on embarkation day. If your temperature is above 100.4°F or 38° C, you and those in your party will undergo a secondary health screening. Temperatures will be taken with a digital, no-touch thermometer. So, no need to worry. 

Additionally, secondary enhanced health screenings will be performed on:

• Any person who reports feeling unwell or displays flu-like symptoms.

• Any person who has traveled from, to, or through Japan or Thailand 15 days prior to embarkation.

• Any person who is uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled in the 15 days prior to embarkation from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Europe (refer to above link), Iran, South Korea, Japan, or Thailand.

• In some cases, guests presenting certain symptoms in the specialized health screenings may be denied boarding.

• Additionally, for Caribbean itineraries only: Secondary health screening parameters will include the country of Thailand for travel or contact occurring 21-days prior to embarkation.

If you require a secondary screening, this is what you can expect: 

• Your temperature will be checked again. 

• You’ll undergo a pulse oximetry reading. This means, a small device will be placed on your finger to measure your oxygen level. 

• If you happen to have a chronic lung illness, like asthma, please bring a letter from your medical practitioner that indicates your normal baseline oxygen saturation levels. This will help ensure you are not denied boarding if you are healthy otherwise.

• Then, a medical professional will check you for flu-like symptoms, respiratory illness, etc., and would make a final assessment to understand if you’re fit to sail.

PORT TRAVEL REGULATIONS 

Some countries and ports, like those below, have increased their existing travel restrictions. Unfortunately, as a result, we may have to deny you boarding or you may have to remain onboard. 

Jamaica: Regardless of nationality or health, any person that has traveled from, to, or through Germany, Spain, or France in the last 14 days will be denied boarding.

New Caledonia: Regardless of nationality or health, any person that has traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Spain, Germany, Egypt, France, Japan, Swiss, Norway, United States of America, England, Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, Bahrain, Kuwait, or Iceland in the last 14 days must remain onboard. 

Vanuatu: Any guest who has traveled from, to, or through Taiwan, Japan, or Singapore within 15 days prior to sailing will be denied boarding. All guests that have traveled from, to, or through mainland China, Taiwan, Italy, Hong Kong, Macau, Iran, South Korea, Japan, and Singapore since December 31st, 2019 are required to obtain a Medical Certificate from a registered medical practitioner to board the ship.  

CLEANLINESS ONBOARD & IN THE TERMINALS 

We continue to take numerous proactive steps to maintain high health standards. This includes:

• Thoroughly sanitizing the cruise ship terminal before and after every sailing,

• Special sanitizing of high traffic areas onboard multiple times a day,

• Adding extra medical staff on each sailing, 

• Providing complimentary consultations with medical experts for all guests & crew,

• Plus, the Captain will make two daily announcements during your cruise reminding everyone of how to stay healthy onboard.

And remember, you can do your part too! Here are some important tips to help keep you healthy and prevent colds, flus, and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• After using the bathroom and before any meal or snack (it’s a cruise; we know there’s lots of that), make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.

• If you happen to sneeze, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve). Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.

• Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

SO, WHAT HAPPENS IF WE HAVE TO DENY YOU 

If it is decided that we must, unfortunately, deny you boarding at the terminal, you’ll receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit for your cruise fare paid, and any pre-cruise Royal Caribbean International purchases and taxes and fees will be refunded to your original form of payment. 

If you or someone in your party does not comply with our updated travel regulation, has a fever before your cruise, or is not fit to travel due to underlying health conditions, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately, or contact us at 1-800-256-6649 or visit www.RoyalCaribbean.com/contactusfor your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number. If you’re no longer able to sail due to these requirements, our temporary Cruise with Confidence policy allows you to cancel your booking up to 48 hours to departure on sailings departing on or before July 31st, 2020. While the program covers you 48 hours before your departure date, given that this new regulation may impact your sailing tomorrow, you will be covered. For more information on our Cruise with Confidence policy, click here.

As this fluid situation continues to evolve, we plan to be as communicative as possible regarding any changes to our health protocols & travel regulation. We hope that with everything we’ve implemented, you feel comforted knowing we’re doing everything possible to keep you healthy & safe on our ships. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon! 

Sincerely,

Image did not load.

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

©2020 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas.
Royal Caribbean International
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

We are canceling.  Enough stress already.  Now I have to fight with Delta to try and get the money I paid them 10 months ago for

8 rt tickets to FLL.  And, after paying a lot of money for Travel Insurance, it appears that it is a waste of money.  So much for being "Loyal to Royal".

• Like 1

@teacherman 

Did you book your flights or travel insurance through Royal?

Not sure how this virus which has created an enormous travel fiasco around the world could be seen as Royal's fault, so while I understand your frustration, I don't understand your "so much for loyal to royal" remark. 

FYI, if you purchased flights through Royal, then you can cancel them through the cruise line. Otherwise, I just received an email from Delta that said if your flight isn't within the next 72 hours please wait to contact them because their website, call center, social media, etc are completely overwhelmed by the effects of the Europe travel ban. It'll probably be less frustration for you if you wait a bit. 

As far as insurance goes, generally it would cover you if you couldn't travel due to illness, death, or certain family or work obligations (mentioned in the policy). They would also typically cover you if your travel provider (airline, cruise line, hotel, etc) cancelled your reservation but didn't provide you a refund. If you aren't sick and your cruise/flight/etc hasn't been cancelled, then most insurance won't cover you UNLESS you have purchased "cancel for any reason" insurance. That's why it's always highly recommended to read the policy before selecting a travel insurance plan so you know what coverage you're actually getting. 🙂

Edited by efussander

Sorry about the "loyal" comment.  Just very frustrated right now.  Especially when thousands of people might lose money connected to flights, cruises, hotels, etc.  And then I hear the "government" talking about a possible bail out of cruise lines and airlines.

12 hours ago, teacherman said:

We are canceling.  Enough stress already.  Now I have to fight with Delta to try and get the money I paid them 10 months ago for

8 rt tickets to FLL.  And, after paying a lot of money for Travel Insurance, it appears that it is a waste of money.  So much for being "Loyal to Royal".

When is your cruise?  Delta is waiving all fees to cancel if you are traveling in March and April.

I spoke with Delta.  They will waive change fees and let me reschedule all the way through May 18.  WOW.   That is one year from when I bought them, which was last May.  So, as they have had my money for 10 months, I only get 2 months more.  But people who only bought tickets a month ago are being given a lot more time.  It looks like my only hope is to have someone at Delta take pity on a family that flies on Delta several times a year, or the FAA shuts everything down, which may happen.  I do not even want my money returned.  I just want vouchers that we can use when we re schedule our cruise.  It seems to me that they would want to give vouchers so that eventually it would be good business for Delta to demonstrate that people are flying again.  But, hey, I am no "stable genius", so what do I know about business procedures.  Our cruise is April 5 on Adventure of the Seas, but that is not going to happen.

The travel agency just sent out an email with the letters needed for all the participating cruise lines.  My question would be what if you do have a chronic condition but have traveled with it in past and doctor agrees you can travel again??   How does that reconcile?

Also, does anyone have any clue whether this is permanent or temporary (as is the f48 hour cancellation policy)?

2 minutes ago, brandy3415 said:

Also, does anyone have any clue whether this is permanent or temporary (as is the 48 hour cancellation policy)?

All of these policies will likely be retired when this is all settled - though not all at the same time.

I certainly hope this is only temporary.  I'm 70, healthy, workout every day, eat healthy.

Just looking at the last 2 cruises we took, Oct 2019 & Feb 2020 & the majority of the obese unhealthy looking people were

the younger ones, kids & all.  Obesity just as bad as chronic illnesses, because that's what it leads to. My rant & my

opinion.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, brandy3415 said:

The travel agency just sent out an email with the letters needed for all the participating cruise lines.  My question would be what if you do have a chronic condition but have traveled with it in past and doctor agrees you can travel again??   How does that reconcile?

Also, does anyone have any clue whether this is permanent or temporary (as is the f48 hour cancellation policy)?

I also assume that some of these policies will go away once the situation is under control.

If I had to make a guess I would say about 4-6 months.  In the long term the cruise industry needs customers over 70.  The is written in such a way that I expect few doctors would sign off on it.  

This is one way to cut down the number of Pinnacles on ships.

• Haha 1