Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

There are too many things that are out of cruise industry control that would have to be negotiated before the industry can restart. I can't see that getting sorted any time soon. On top of that it probably won't be a priority to most countries which will further push it's restart time line. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

With all the handouts the government has made, they'll be keen to find any revenue to provide replacement income, so will be welcoming back cruises with their tourist income and flow on benefits as soon as they're satisfied there aren't any health risks. You'll be surprised how quickly they return.

You're right... I will be surprised if they're back in Australian waters before 2022.  They certainly won't be back in time for the 2020/21 cruising season... maybe in the 2nd half of 2021.

11 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

What Floating Petri Dishes .......

I think 12 months at least , sorry to be a harbinger of doom , it will just take one case on a ship to bring it all crashing down again , sorry its just too soon

Regards

John

Bit of an overreaction. It's not as if there's another case on land - there already is every day - stops everything from continuing.

The key is that it's managed properly.

2 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

You're right... I will be surprised if they're back in Australian waters before 2022.  They certainly won't be back in time for the 2020/21 cruising season... maybe in the 2nd half of 2021.

If it takes that long 2022 then they probably wont bother coming back here at all. Why would a company invest in this country if the government is not cooperating?

The one we have to watch here is P&O Australia. If their start date is as they say it is then there are chances the other cruise lines will follow. If P&O Australia do not get permission to start around July then I dare say all the other lines will pull out for the remainder of the season.

At least we will know for sure in another 60 days time.

29 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

If P&O Australia do not get permission to start around July then I dare say all the other lines will pull out for the remainder of the season.

At least we will know for sure in another 60 days time.

July isn't peak cruising season. That doesn't start until around October. I doubt we will see any winter or early spring cruises here.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

July isn't peak cruising season. That doesn't start until around October. I doubt we will see any winter or early spring cruises here.

Most of us are thinking that way yet cruise lines still taking bookings.

Cheers Carole

19 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

That is to keep the cash coming in so they can service the debts and repay the already cancelled cruises. Basically a Ponzi scheme at the moment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Cheers Carole

I guess they are hoping things will improve just like the rest of us. They are in an awkward situation. They need to control the cancellations so that they can deal with all the refunds in a steady manner. If they close off bookings for some cruises then those that are already booked will assume their cruise is cancelled and start hassling them for refunds. It's frustrating but I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I guess they are hoping things will improve just like the rest of us. They are in an awkward situation. They need to control the cancellations so that they can deal with all the refunds in a steady manner. If they close off bookings for some cruises then those that are already booked will assume their cruise is cancelled and start hassling them for refunds. It's frustrating but I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

Yes but it is really annoying when you have to fork out more money for  a cruise that probably won’t happen when you still haven’t got your refunds from a cancelled one.

Cheers Carole

12 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Yes but it is really annoying when you have to fork out more money for  a cruise that probably won’t happen when you still haven’t got your refunds from a cancelled one.

Cheers Carole

Yeah, that stings!

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It isn't, but just as they were willing to redeploy here before, if P&O were to restart then, then I'm sure you'd see some come back ASAP. 

But I'm not that optimistic about the time frame.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Agreed. They also don't want to cancel earlier than they have to e.g. some say they won't be sailing in September, but we don't _know_ that yet. And if the best was to happen and they were sailing then, it would be a disaster for them to have already cancelled.

With the Olympics planned for next July being openly talked about not going ahead due to COVID-19, it is not looking good for cruising until a treatment or vaccine have been developed. I have the P&O Bounty cruise booked for October 2021. I give it odds of 50% going ahead. 

21 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

With the Olympics planned for next July being openly talked about not going ahead due to COVID-19, it is not looking good for cruising until a treatment or vaccine have been developed. I have the P&O Bounty cruise booked for October 2021. I give it odds of 50% going ahead. 

The Olympics are a whole different kettle of fish, they have to be open to everyone...all nations, no matter how well they have contained COVID 19. Also these are elite athletes so that has to also be factored in. I don't think the Olympics can directly relate to tourism. 

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I think the Bounty cruise is doable as they are talking about opening up the South Pacific too as they need tourism. 

https://www.traveller.com.au/travel-and-covid19-call-to-bring-pacific-nations-inside-transtasman-bubble-h1nocz If they allow planes to land then they should allow cruise ships especially when you consider that tourists from cruise ships spend less time at places than people flying in and are therefore lower risk than people actually staying at these places. 

12 minutes ago, christodan said:

I think the Bounty cruise is doable as they are talking about opening up the South Pacific too as they need tourism. 

https://www.traveller.com.au/travel-and-covid19-call-to-bring-pacific-nations-inside-transtasman-bubble-h1nocz If they allow planes to land then they should allow cruise ships especially when you consider that tourists from cruise ships spend less time at places than people flying in and are therefore lower risk than people actually staying at these places. 

I wish I had your confidence. Cruising has had bad press lately and could take some time to recover, especially if the virus is still around. 

11 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I wish I had your confidence. Cruising has had bad press lately and could take some time to recover, especially if the virus is still around. 

Well put it this way. The cruise companies are going to do everything within their power to get cruising happening again as they have billions to lose. ( Far more than any of us). If all cruisers on the ships are Aussie/New Zealanders only ( and the crew have been quarantined before cruising, (with perhaps some OS replacement crew living in Australia )), I can't see how they could argue that cruise ships are less safe than letting planes land in the Pacific. 

As we can see from this survey on CC and reports elsewhere, the cruise industry has not lost that much support from customers. 

Edited by christodan