Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Growing up in the country, Sunday drives were quite exciting, particularly if we went to one little town which had a bakery which was open, oh the wonderful bread we would have for tea (dinner) that night. Stop at a milk bar for an ice cream or icy pole. Such wonderful times! If only we could go for a drive to somewhere other than the supermarket, chemist or doctor! Something to look forward to....

Our holidays were spent at relatives in Melbourne. I don’t think I left the state until I was 21. 

Edited by possum52

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We didn’t have holidays when I was a kid, but a weekend drive was a treat.

We didn’t have holidays either and we never had a car ,a day trip to Brighton or Blackpool, once asked Dad why we didn’t go away for a week like my little friend and his reply was that we had good wholesome food  on the table every day not bread and dripping, mind you I didn’t mind bread and dripping with lots of salt and pepper.

Cheers Carole

43 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

We didn’t have holidays either and we never had a car ,a day trip to Brighton or Blackpool, once asked Dad why we didn’t go away for a week like my little friend and his reply was that we had good wholesome food  on the table every day not bread and dripping, mind you I didn’t mind bread and dripping with lots of salt and pepper.

Cheers Carole

We didn’t ave a car either brewed my Uncles panelvan, only vehicle was 

F0746795-454E-4031-879A-1F33740B9688.jpeg

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We still enjoy the drive to nowhere. We aren't as strictly locked down here. We were out today took the long way around. Stopped for some groceries and at the fish monger for some halibut, smoked salmon and shrimp. I made a nice fish chowder for supper.

Now the best we can do is the drive to nowhere😕

I went on a drive to nowhere yesterday, I sat in the car for ten minutes with the engine running, to make sure the battery still had a charge as I hasn't been used in over a month.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

That’s a beauty 

Dad still has his, not so good looking now. 1950 something International KB7, by the time he retired it had 750,000 + miles on the clock. He only had 5 trucks in 50+ years 4 were Inters the fifth was for most of the time he owned it a spare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We still enjoy the drive to nowhere. We aren't as strictly locked down here. We were out today took the long way around. Stopped for some groceries and at the fish monger for some halibut, smoked salmon and shrimp. I made a nice fish chowder for supper.

The first "holiday" I can remember was a drive from Victoria to Saskatchewan with my Mom & Dad in 1968 we drove out in our brand new AMC Rebel, then I went out to the farm every summer by bus for the next 5 years and then I joined The Royal Canadian Sea Cadets and did summer training in various places including a couple of deployments in Canadian war ships. 

Now the best we can do is the drive to nowhere😕

You mentioned Halibut. I had my first try of Halibut last year in Vancouver. I don’t like seafood much but loved the halibut!

1 hour ago, christodan said:

I'd have happily eaten bread and dripping if it meant going on a holiday!  

I was lucky, my parents used to take us to Surfers Paradise every year. 

My husband’s family used to drive from Melbourne to Surfers each year for their annual holiday.

Edited by possum52

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

You mentioned Halibut. I had my first try of Halibut last year in Vancouver. I don’t like seafood much but loved the halibut!

Halibut.jpg.18c5d67927e09f52d46c9f6c416966b3.jpg

This is a particularly large one, this is a random photo I found on line. That is not me, the best I've ever done is about a 20 pound salmon

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, getting older slowly said:

From all the news I have read.... I now think cruising any time in next year.....  it like telling them they are dreaming....

And God only knows what will happen between now and then.....

I would be be happy with a long drive to no where for now.... just one tank of fuel would do....

Don

Queensland Government has announced reduction in restrictions, we can go for a drive up to 50 kms from this Saturday.  Only with household members or for single people with one extra. Suggested seniors during the week, families on the weekend.  A couple of National Parks will be opened up as well, but haven't been announced as yet.  South, we can only go as far as the border, which is closed, but lots of lovely Hinterland drives.

9 hours ago, possum52 said:

My husband’s family used to drive from Melbourne to Surfers each year for their annual holiday.

Lots of families used to spend the summer school holidays camping at the Coasts (North and South) for the six weeks.  The husband would commute to work in Brisbane after his three weeks' holiday.  

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Lots of families used to spend the summer school holidays camping at the Coasts (North and South) for the six weeks.  The husband would commute to work in Brisbane after his three weeks' holiday.  

Husband’s family would drive up at the end of Term1 (May back then) for 2-3 weeks. 

SA just hadn't had the same depth of restrictions. Our beaches never closed, we could go anywhere to exercise, we could sit on benches, and on the beach, eat takeaways etc in our cars, we could still have gatherings of up to 10 known people, as long as social distancing was occurring. We could shop in stores for clothing (but many stores closed anyway). So where some states are opening up - they are opening up to our level anyway. 

We've have four days in a row on zero reports. And few more last week but had two reports on Wednesday that broke the run. 

On 4/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, GUT2407 said:

Dad still has his, not so good looking now. 1950 something International KB7, by the time he retired it had 750,000 + miles on the clock. He only had 5 trucks in 50+ years 4 were Inters the fifth was for most of the time he owned it a spare.

you should find the best one and bring it back to original .  or modernise it with a newer diesel ..  them old international trucks look amazing back to original condition..  there is no better feeling than driving a ole car down the road .  i love taking my old cars out for a drive.    

Edited by in rod we trust

8 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

you should find the best one and bring it back to original .  or modernise it with a newer diesel ..  them old international trucks look amazing back to original condition..  there is no better feeling than driving a ole car down the road .  i love taking my old cars out for a drive.    

All dad’s techs were petrol, I would love to have the money to do up the KB7, I have no chance of doing it myself. 

40 minutes ago, in rod we trust said:

cruise ships wont be back here for at least a yr  plus or until a vaccine is found .  there is no way the people of australia or the governments will allow them here after the drama we had with them ..   

Just because you keep saying this it won't make it happen.

With the lifting of certain restrictions at the moment & over the week-end coming up & the re-introduction of major sport back into society in late May. My late October 2 cruisers are looking better. BUT.

The NRL have announce the finals, while i'm on these cruises & my team has made the major finals 6 of the last 7 years...

Here's to reducing the curve still even more & the lifting of more restrictions... Even if it's just Australian port only cruises to begin with. can't wait....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

cruise ships wont be back here for at least a yr  plus or until a vaccine is found .  there is no way the people of australia or the governments will allow them here after the drama we had with them ..   

With all the handouts the government has made, they'll be keen to find any revenue to provide replacement income, so will be welcoming back cruises with their tourist income and flow on benefits as soon as they're satisfied there aren't any health risks. You'll be surprised how quickly they return.

4 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

With all the handouts the government has made, they'll be keen to find any revenue to provide replacement income, so will be welcoming back cruises with their tourist income and flow on benefits as soon as they're satisfied there aren't any health risks. You'll be surprised how quickly they return.

What Floating Petri Dishes .......

I think 12 months at least , sorry to be a harbinger of doom , it will just take one case on a ship to bring it all crashing down again , sorry its just too soon

Regards

John