Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

the smaller ships are the oldest where the largest they have to pay off.

The smaller ships tend to have more spacious lounges and bars relative to the number of passengers, at least on Princess. Even the dining rooms seem to have more space between tables. And the promenade decks are wider. The newer ships added more cabin capacity but decreased popular public spaces so they could add a lot more shops and speciality restaurants.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The smaller ships tend to have more spacious lounges and bars relative to the number of passengers, at least on Princess. Even the dining rooms seem to have more space between tables. And the promenade decks are wider. The newer ships added more cabin capacity but decreased popular public spaces so they could add a lot more shops and speciality restaurants.

But if they only sell 1/2 the cabins to comply with spacing requirements the big ships will be more economical ,and passengers will enjoy all that space 😉

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But they probably don’t have to pay them off as much as the big ships.

So I think they will be pushing to use the newer and bigger ships ..

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

But if they only sell 1/2 the cabins to comply with spacing requirements the big ships will be more economical ,and passengers will enjoy all that space 😉

The newer ships are more energy efficient.

At the captains corner on Ovation,the engineer said Ovation uses less energy than a ship a third the size . Better engines,LED lighting, more efficient propulsion and the air injection under the hull.

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The older ships ,while probably paid off , require a lot more maintenance and upkeep, which makes them expensive to run .

Smaller older ships could be used for transport and quarantine of crew to Asia.

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think cruise lines will be trying to convince people to book the inside cabins rather than upgrading😂

I heard a rumour that they will not be selling any inside cabins and will be using them to spread out the crew accommodations .

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I heard a rumour that they will not be selling any inside cabins and will be using them to spread out the crew accommodations .

I just had a look at Princess from Sydney in Nov 20 and April 21 and Insides are being sold. P&O are also have Insides for sale and my October 2021 booking has not been cancelled.

Edited by By The Bay

They probably aren't going to change anything, even bookings, until there is some certainty as to when they can start up again. Then they'll make the decisions and adjustments that they need to make. They have enough on their plates as it is with all the cancellations they have to process.

P&O is having a flash sale. Here is one of many available. Would there be discussions happening with authorities to open up cruising and when?

South Pacific
Departing Sydney
a5e37ecb-c3a0-4a01-8501-8fb423b3448c.jpg
Friday 27th November 2020

10 Nights
Pacific Aria

Red Hot Fares 🔥

Twin Inside From $670 pp
Twin Balcony From $950 pp

Quad Inside From $488 pp
Quad Oceanview From $558 pp
Edited by By The Bay

https://rivercruisepassenger.com.au/uniworld-introduces-guest-screening-as-part-of-new-health-protocols/  Some changes announced by Uniworld.

We are likely to see similar changes on ocean cruise lines?

Saw mention somewhere about rapid Covid tests, that might be used to screen staff and passengers, to validate all on board are free of the virus.

Might be safer on a clean ship than on land in some parts of the world.

9 minutes ago, pully8 said:

https://rivercruisepassenger.com.au/uniworld-introduces-guest-screening-as-part-of-new-health-protocols/  Some changes announced by Uniworld.

Saw mention somewhere about rapid Covid tests, that might be used to screen staff and passengers, to validate all on board are free of the virus.

I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True and it will partly depend on timing. If our regular season can start up as usual then they only other area that is in full swing at that time of year is the Caribbean. I don't think northern hemisphere cruising will start until April/May next year. I think Australasia will be the "trial run" as long as our governments allow it to happen.

They won't.  There won't be any cruising in Australian or NZ waters this year.

9 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Is this fact or your understanding after reading the CDC policy?

I do not see them controlling cruise ships in Australian ports and waters. The CDC policy "provides guidance for cruise ship operations in any international, interstate, or intrastate waterways subject to the jurisdiction of the United States" Source CDC.

Holds true for all of the companies headquartered in the USA.  That includes Royal Caribbean and the Carnival owned cruise lines.  The CDC sets the health policy, and they adjust fleet-wide to match.  They don't attempt to run one policy in the Caribbean, another in Europe, and another in Australasia.

That's why passengers from Schengen countries were being denied boarding on 14th March (Radiance of the Seas), despite the cruise departing from Australia and going to NZ.

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

P&O is having a flash sale. Here is one of many available. Would there be discussions happening with authorities to open up cruising and when?

South Pacific
Departing Sydney
a5e37ecb-c3a0-4a01-8501-8fb423b3448c.jpg
Friday 27th November 2020

10 Nights
Pacific Aria

Red Hot Fares 🔥

Twin Inside From $670 pp
Twin Balcony From $950 pp

Quad Inside From $488 pp
Quad Oceanview From $558 pp

They're still entitled to sell their product. If it doesn't go ahead, they'll just follow the existing procedures they follow for cancellations, just as with those who'd already booked that cruise some time ago.

2 hours ago, pully8 said:

Not a major difference from what's currently in place.

All that would change on RCL for example is:

- removal of the few remaining books from the tiny library, and brochures from Future Sales (negligible)

- distributing wipes in a few more spaces (currently in internet library)

- Biscuits and so on only from Café promenade

- Dining becomes reserved seating only (no more my time dining)

- Bread and butter already served that way

- Added gloves and face masks to guest services

So the only significant change would be about dining (which is the way it used to be).

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

Holds true for all of the companies headquartered in the USA.  That includes Royal Caribbean and the Carnival owned cruise lines.  The CDC sets the health policy, and they adjust fleet-wide to match.  They don't attempt to run one policy in the Caribbean, another in Europe, and another in Australasia.

That's why passengers from Schengen countries were being denied boarding on 14th March (Radiance of the Seas), despite the cruise departing from Australia and going to NZ.

That's the way things were. Given the new onerous requirements from CDC, they may well split out policies world wide, just as they do with alcohol policies for example. 

i.e. if they can sail in Europe and Australia, but not the US because of CDC then they'll definitely do so and operate elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That's the way things were. Given the new onerous requirements from CDC, they may well split out policies world wide, just as they do with alcohol policies for example. 

i.e. if they can sail in Europe and Australia, but not the US because of CDC then they'll definitely do so and operate elsewhere.

You think Australia would allow them to operate here without the same social distancing requirements imposed by the CDC?  Europe?  Asia?

They're not cruising anywhere at all until the CDC gives them the all-clear to do so, and when they do finally start it will be using health & sanitary (including social distance) policies dictated by the CDC.

It's more likely that the CDC will give them the go ahead this year than the Australian or NZ Govts allowing cruising to re-start here.  Cruising will be one of the very last industries to re-start in this country, and it won't happen until international travel restrictions are lifted.  While the Govt has announced plans for re-opening the country domestically, there are no plans for lifting any international travel restrictions - and there won't be until it is completely controlled worldwide.

Edited by Vader1111

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/scenic-eclipse-ii-to-be-built-by-scenic-owned-shipyard-in-croatia/ Just noticed this new ship being built in Croatia.

No idea when Australia will open its ports but clearly the industry is keen to begin asap.

No doubt many of us are hoping to cruise again too.

It may require a flight or 2 to reach the ship but that has been the case for decades.

Time will tell.

14 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I was thinking the same thing when they emailed me yesterday to say I can start paying for my Fiji, Tonga cruise booked later this year by ezi pay. I thought, either they are having discussions or they want some income coming in.

If  we are all good and they can keep the second wave suppressed, international travel will return, I expect cruising to start a month or two after that but with very harsh restrictions and plenty of measures to catch any possible outbreak before it does.

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If  we are all good and they can keep the second wave suppressed, international travel will return, I expect cruising to start a month or two after that but with very harsh restrictions and plenty of measures to catch any possible outbreak before it does.

and those measures will be very extensive and very expensive to put in place . Cruising will return , but I feel it will revert to what it was .....the domain of the wealthy .

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

and those measures will be very extensive and very expensive to put in place . Cruising will return , but I feel it will revert to what it was .....the domain of the wealthy .

That counts me out then.

Cheers Carole