Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

36 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I can't believe Australia cannot support being a smart country - the very people who had their University education for free now expect everyone else (not just foreign students) pay for it in full.

I saw once on TV someone taking about this topic. They said in the English speaking world there is an increasing view that education is a black hole draining our money, whereas countries like Finland and South Korea see it as an investment. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I can't believe Australia cannot support being a smart country - the very people who had their University education for free now expect everyone else (not just foreign students) pay for it in full.

Mic, that is a double edge sword. I didn't go to university, I went into the trades. I apprenticed in a woodwork shop under a journeyman joiner and did 4-4 week sessions over the duration of my 4 year apprenticeship. All tuition was covered but I did have to pay for accommodation while attending school BCIT in Burnaby BC. I appreciated the apprenticeship system then and wish it was the same now but it has changed.

One of my pet peeves with the education system (at least here in Canada) is that it seems to produce the perpetual student. So many young people are told "you need a degree" so off to university they go. They don't really enter with a thought as to what job opportunity said degree might provide. So 4 years later and $80,000.00 in debt they have a marvelous sheepskin in useless as there are 3 jobs in that field with 5000 people wanting them. So perhaps a Masters degree is in order another $50,000.00 in debt and a Masters degree in useless. It's a vicious circle. 

Arguments over how the country pays for tertiary education will always be subject to debate. I suggest that the HECS scheme is probably the best option. I was on the fringe of the user pays/Whitlam free-for-all systems, but actually elected for another path.

But the current point is that the universities have gone with a model that seemingly requires a substantial amount of the operation to be covered by OS students, and now that has put them in a difficult position, albeit thru no fault of their own, other than a reliance on it that income.

The point was that the health & well-being of our citizens should not be impacted by changes in border restrictions to allow foreign students in, JUST because the universities need their money!

• Like 3

Some also question the quality of education at places that process people like a factory.

It seems it was a bit of a racket to call something a training/education place, accept vast amounts of money but supply poor/zero outcomes. Perhaps cleaned up?

Even universities of long standing have had their share of odd stories/scandals.  

Education is an industry/business and never free. Someone pays individuals and/or taxpayers and many get large donations too.

We also get children from overseas that come for their education, some board some come with a parent or family. Some go to state or private schools.

Wonderful to get an education at any age for enrichment or to pursue a career.

Some are keen to get student visas and permanent residence.

Interesting too that some people seem to be academics all their life.

No issue with anyone coming here but health checks must be done to protect the population without exception. 

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Mic, that is a double edge sword. I didn't go to university, I went into the trades. I apprenticed in a woodwork shop under a journeyman joiner and did 4-4 week sessions over the duration of my 4 year apprenticeship. All tuition was covered but I did have to pay for accommodation while attending school BCIT in Burnaby BC. I appreciated the apprenticeship system then and wish it was the same now but it has changed.

One of my pet peeves with the education system (at least here in Canada) is that it seems to produce the perpetual student. So many young people are told "you need a degree" so off to university they go. They don't really enter with a thought as to what job opportunity said degree might provide. So 4 years later and $80,000.00 in debt they have a marvelous sheepskin in useless as there are 3 jobs in that field with 5000 people wanting them. So perhaps a Masters degree is in order another $50,000.00 in debt and a Masters degree in useless. It's a vicious circle. 

I am not saying university should be free but it certainly shouldn't be full fare either. As for the perpetual student, their first degree can be subsidised, subsequent ones are not.

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

The point was that the health & well-being of our citizens should not be impacted by changes in border restrictions to allow foreign students in, JUST because the universities need their money!

Agreed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As for the perpetual student, their first degree can be subsidised, subsequent ones are not.

These days it is not much of a choice. Upgrading your qualifications or getting extra qualifications is the only way to progress in many industries.

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

These days it is not much of a choice. Upgrading your qualifications or getting extra qualifications is the only way to progress in many industries.

And many companies/work places will fund that for you while you work and study, if they do not it is always tax deductible.

3 hours ago, pully8 said:

Interesting too that some people seem to be academics all their life.

Some degrees are more vocational than others. Some studies can only lead to a life in academia it seems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not saying university should be free but it certainly shouldn't be full fare either. As for the perpetual student, their first degree can be subsidised, subsequent ones are not.

Post graduate degrees aren't subsidised.  My daughter is paying $40,000 for one year (on line because of the corona virus) and it is not tax deductible because it is not directly related to her current work.  

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Post graduate degrees aren't subsidised.  My daughter is paying $40,000 for one year (on line because of the corona virus) and it is not tax deductible because it is not directly related to her current work.  

As I said should be the case. Only tax deductible if it is directly related to work

Some people are in a position to fund their lifestyle choices, education, travel whatever.

Others have to battle for basic needs. Life is short.

As we get older time is more precious, frustrating not to be able to do as you wish.

Suspect in the current circumstances we all have to make the best of what opportunities we have, but we can still dream.

Looked at cruising websites last night, nice to have memories.

Concerning the rises in covid cases and that it may negatively impact cruising.

Surely not forever. 

• Like 1

Both my kids, now in their 40's did Uni degrees via HEC's, Uncle Les did not have the $ to educate them apart from schooling.  My grandaughter at James Cook Uni in Townsville is in her last year of Veterinary Science, also via 'learn now - pay later' is it still called HECS?  She tells me hundreds of Asian students are absent from Uni. James Cook Uni actively recruits students from HK, Singapore etc, Uni charges full freight and gets the money up front, that is why all the Aussie Unis love the Foreign students.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Well, as of today, it looks like it could be sometime before the US will be a safe destination. POTUS today called on the states to stop testing for COVID-19. ***** is he thinking?

Don't get me started...You'll get me banned.

16 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Well, as of today, it looks like it could be sometime before the US will be a safe destination. POTUS today called on the states to stop testing for COVID-19. ***** is he thinking?

Looks like their tourism industry will have to adapt to domestic only 😕. On the bright side Central American countries really want us Aussies. It would be great to have non stop flights without transiting through LAX😜.

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Looks like their tourism industry will have to adapt to domestic only 😕. On the bright side Central American countries really want us Aussies. It would be great to have non stop flights without transiting through LAX😜.

My concern is that the imbecile few in the US are going to make it hard for the vast majority of Americans to travel. That will have a domino effect on Canada. Before the health emergency there were direct flights By Air Canada between Vancouver and Auckland or Sydney; as well as direct Air New Zealand flights between Vancouver and Auckland. Hopefully they resume, we are booked on the Air New Zealand one.

Hopefully our governments can come to a mutually beneficial opening of the borders. We will make you welcome and the exchange rate is better for you😉

25 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Don't hold your breath, Central America countries still haven't peaked. If Mexico and Columbia are anything to go by and many are poor countries that don't have the same resources we have.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/colombia/ https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/mexico/

Edited by lyndarra
spelling

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

My concern is that the imbecile few in the US are going to make it hard for the vast majority of Americans to travel. That will have a domino effect on Canada. Before the health emergency there were direct flights By Air Canada between Vancouver and Auckland or Sydney; as well as direct Air New Zealand flights between Vancouver and Auckland. Hopefully they resume, we are booked on the Air New Zealand one.

Hopefully our governments can come to a mutually beneficial opening of the borders. We will make you welcome and the exchange rate is better for you😉

I would love to re visit Canada🤗. I do hope your flights go ahead. This is a radical idea but maybe you guys need to keep that border closed with America for a very long time 😳 especially that Alaska drive through loop hole:

Americans reportedly find ‘loophole’ to violate Canada’s Covid-19 border closure

From what I hear Canada is getting better, you may end up in the green zone in which case we can definitely have that travel bubble🥳

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Don't hold your breath, Central America countries still haven't peaked. If Mexico and Columbia are anything to go by and many are poor countries that don't have the same resources we have.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/colombia/ https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/mexico/

Technically Mexico is North America and Columbia is South America. It does seem Costa Rica is experiencing the dreaded second wave. Hopefully if they can get it under control as quickly as they did their first wave they can get back into the green zone and the bubble could still be feasible😜

Edited by ilikeanswers

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I would love to re visit Canada🤗. I do hope your flights go ahead. This is a radical idea but maybe you guys need to keep that border closed with America for a very long time 😳 especially that Alaska drive through loop hole:

Americans reportedly find ‘loophole’ to violate Canada’s Covid-19 border closure

From what I hear Canada is getting better, you may end up in the green zone in which case we can definitely have that travel bubble🥳

We are doing fairly well, most regions have really flattened the curve but we have some hot spots.

I was aware of that story and was outraged. I brought it up on another thread and some Americans took offense...oh well.

If you make it to Victoria, I'll stand you a pint.

Cheers

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Methinks he is thinking that he wants to be re-elected and the climbing number of infections is working against him. 

If you don't test, then your number of infections will drop, (or not rise anyway). Simple really. No test = no coronavirus.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nnps said:

Methinks he is thinking that he wants to be re-elected and the climbing number of infections is working against him. 

If you don't test, then your number of infections will drop, (or not rise anyway). Simple really. No test = no coronavirus.

Then that will leave a question he wont be able to answer (truthfully) - why are all these people dying? Summer!! Flu season!! That must be it!!