Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

3 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Got a link?

This isn't from WHO but from CSIRO. I, for one, feel so depressed whenever I see comments saying there won't be a vaccine so I'm sharing the information that the CSIRO has put out. I just got this today in their newsletter.

The scientists working on this seem to feel confident that they have a very good chance of success.

https://blog.csiro.au/two-vaccine-candidates-acdp/?utm_source=Snapshot-June-2020

23 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Got a link?

From Tedros in the same article - "Hoping that there will be a vaccine, the estimate is we may have a vaccine within one year. If accelerated, it could be even less than that, but by a couple of months. That's what scientists are saying," he said.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

One issue is that even if the Vaccine is ready to use in 12 months, it may take another 12 months for people to actually access the vaccine, front line workers and the elderly, would be first off the ranks to get it..

Isn’t that most of us on CC, Mic 😆
“front line workers and the elderly, would be first off the ranks to get it..”

16 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Isn’t that most of us on CC, Mic 😆
“front line workers and the elderly, would be first off the ranks to get it..”

By elderly I mean people of my parents generation, 70 +, so yeah maybe it is CC members

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

This isn't from WHO but from CSIRO. I, for one, feel so depressed whenever I see comments saying there won't be a vaccine so I'm sharing the information that the CSIRO has put out. I just got this today in their newsletter.

The scientists working on this seem to feel confident that they have a very good chance of success.

https://blog.csiro.au/two-vaccine-candidates-acdp/?utm_source=Snapshot-June-2020

Thanks.  Fascinating!

16 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you took my meaning a little out of context, what I meant is, many people are saying everything should stay in limbo until there is a vaccine. My point was we need to find a way of living around this thing should an effective vaccine not materialize.

It may be the case that there is no vaccine, and we need to find a way of living with CV-19 as a "new normal".  However, the Aus Govt is currently working on the assumption that a vaccine will become available, probably sometime in 2021.  If that turns out to be a bad assumption, then they will have to start planning for a different reality - but for now, that's the assumption upon which they're basing their decisions.

Tasmania is planning to re-open interstate border on 24 July. Final decision based on public health advice.

Start booking the Spirit for the big CC trek.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/tasmania-to-make-call-on-reopening-border/news-story/90f9585adf03072d0a9c1165d76d9672

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, pully8 said:

reading the latest updates was amazed about the testing regime for incoming people placed in hotels for 14 days.

it was stated 30% refuse testing? now it will be mandatory. 

Will be like fingerprinting persons in custody who refuse to have their prints taken, in New South Wales (The Premier State)😊a magistrate can order them taken, which mean police forcibly restrain the person and take the prescribed fingerprints if they are still not cooperating .  So will those who refuse the CoVid swab be held down by the CoVid Commandos and have the swab forced into their oracles? 🤑👮‍♂️

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Will be like fingerprinting persons in custody who refuse to have their prints taken, in New South Wales (The Premier State)😊a magistrate can order them taken, which mean police forcibly restrain the person and take the prescribed fingerprints if they are still not cooperating .  So will those who refuse the CoVid swab be held down by the CoVid Commandos and have the swab forced into their oracles? 🤑👮‍♂️

This development by the Doherty Institute in Melbourne could be a game changer.

"And, in an Australian first and thanks to the efforts of the Doherty Institute, from next week we will be doing additional testing from the collection of saliva samples – providing a faster, easier and more comfortable test." Source

• Like 3

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

"And, in an Australian first and thanks to the efforts of the Doherty Institute, from next week we will be doing additional testing from the collection of saliva samples – providing a faster, easier and more comfortable test." Source

My word it will be, the present form of testing, like sticking swabs into peoples oracles is draconian and torturous.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

reading the latest updates was amazed about the testing regime for incoming people placed in hotels for 14 days.

it was stated 30% refuse testing? now it will be mandatory. 

That is horrifying!

If people refuse tests they should be kept in quarantine, at their cost, until they do agree to the tests. In fact if they refuse tests they should be billed for the whole quarantine stay.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

It might also encourage more people in the general community to get tested.

• Like 2

I just saw elsewhere that Cunard's Queen Elizabeth is heading back to the UK from the Philippines. I think that's a clear indication Cunard doesn't think cruising will resume in Australia for the 20/21 season. I doubt they would head back up to the UK then turn around and come back here in November or whenever she was due to arrive. We're booked on her Auckland to Sydney late January. I guess that will be another cruise that gets cancelled.

From the Cunard website:

As a result of the continuing impact of Covid-19, Cunard has extended its pause in operations to sailings up to and including 1 November 2020 for Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria, and 23 November for Queen Elizabeth.

That fits in with QE's itinerary in Australia.  I am booked on December 1st departing Melbourne.  Think her first trip is 25th Nov - a 6 nighter Melb to SA, Syd and I think Tas.

Not very hopeful it will go ahead.  Just wait and see.

2 minutes ago, Ondine said:

That fits in with QE's itinerary in Australia.  I am booked on December 1st departing Melbourne.  Think her first trip is 25th Nov - a 6 nighter Melb to SA, Syd and I think Tas.

Not very hopeful it will go ahead.  Just wait and see.

I think it was Brendan Murphy who said today that Australia's borders would (probably?) remain closed until there's a vaccine. I think that statement doesn't refer to a trans-Tasman bubble though. Alan Joyce this morning saying Qantas wouldn't be resuming flying international routes before next July.

I've found the quote below from Murphy; in that context, I would suggest 'relatively near future' would mean by mid next year. Possibly take until end of next year to roll out the vaccines. At least we'll be able to enjoy our own backyard, travel-wise, not literally. But that too, of course.

"To fully open the international border without any quarantining or any restrictions probably will require a vaccine to be able to adequately protect vulnerable people in the community," Professor Murphy said.

"Until that happens, we're going to have some sort of border measures … and if we don't get a successful vaccine in the relatively near future, then we have to re-evaluate."'

we are hopefully of cruising again.

vaccine might or not happen.

like many i was surprised at the testing regime voluntary rules.

probably people refuse for the discomfort and need for repeated testing.

once tested does the clock get reset to 14 days?

also the cost factor of housing people in quarantine.

some have requested early release for various reasons.

losing the ability to earn a living.

meanwhile panic buying is happening again. 

would love to be back on a ship. 

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

"To fully open the international border without any quarantining or any restrictions probably will require a vaccine to be able to adequately protect vulnerable people in the community," Professor Murphy said.

"Until that happens, we're going to have some sort of border measures … and if we don't get a successful vaccine in the relatively near future, then we have to re-evaluate."'

But we then could be in danger of this if we don’t learn to live with Covid-19 - (A quote from the past week 🙄)

“But you don’t need to be elderly or work in a hospital to be hanging out for a coronavirus vaccine. Without one, Australia could remain a hermit kingdom at the end of the Earth, cut off from the rest of the World.”

what a frightening thought ....... 😳

Edited by Porky55