Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

42 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Could a longer than that . Not only the medical situation but also the economic situation needs to be taken into account . It will will take many years for the same numbers that were cruising before Covoid are in a position to afford to cruise again, if ever .

This may be true, but do you realise that there is quite a few people, and I'm not talking mega rich, who have not been financially affected in a negative way at all, and also have the time to pick when they cruise?

Disappointing news from the Minister  a few hours ago - 'Breaking News' section on guardianaustralia.com  site:   

Greg Hunt warns international borders will be closed for a long time

Greg Hunt spoke about a Covid-19 vaccine this morning. The World Health Organisation has warned it may take two-and-a-half years for a vaccine. On Australia’s international borders, Hunt told Fran Kelly on ABC RN this morning: "I do think that the border – the international border closures – will remain in place for a very significant time."

6 minutes ago, Cyrix400 said:

Disappointing news from the Minister  a few hours ago - 'Breaking News' section on guardianaustralia.com  site:   

Greg Hunt warns international borders will be closed for a long time

Greg Hunt spoke about a Covid-19 vaccine this morning. The World Health Organisation has warned it may take two-and-a-half years for a vaccine. On Australia’s international borders, Hunt told Fran Kelly on ABC RN this morning: "I do think that the border – the international border closures – will remain in place for a very significant time."

image.png.2314d8de6a5cca458c3be80e344dcb3e.png

• Like 2

Just came across this from NYT. If implemented it would upset the US of A and start a Twitter flood. Given that the US has 20% of the world's COVID cases, but less than 5% of the world's population, the EU has no other choice.

"European Union officials are racing to agree on who can visit the bloc as of July 1 as they figure out how to restart travel while keeping new coronavirus infections at bay.

A draft list of acceptable travelers includes those from China and Vietnam, but visitors from the U.S., Russia and Brazil will not be welcome, according to the document seen by The New York Times. A final decision is expected early next week."

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Just came across this from NYT. If implemented it would upset the US of A and start a Twitter flood. Given that the US has 20% of the world's COVID cases, but less than 5% of the world's population, the EU has no other choice.

"European Union officials are racing to agree on who can visit the bloc as of July 1 as they figure out how to restart travel while keeping new coronavirus infections at bay.

A draft list of acceptable travelers includes those from China and Vietnam, but visitors from the U.S., Russia and Brazil will not be welcome, according to the document seen by The New York Times. A final decision is expected early next week."

That would upset the apple cart and I would think one person in particular would have a twitter rant about it, if the US were on the list of excluded countries.

17 hours ago, Cyrix400 said:

the international border closures – will remain in place for a very significant time."

If the time line is a year of more..... Tourism in Australia will be in a mess with a lot more business and staff going down the drain.... A lot of them can't survive on ónly locals... it is a bit of a concern...

wondering about Great Southern Rail... I would say a lot of their clientele would be from OS 

I am not happy that cruising even in Australian waters seams very distance..... but as long as one can holiday within our shores I will be happy.

Cheers Don

53 minutes ago, christodan said:

We're lucky Australia is a huge country.

Yes it is a vast place

I have driven Melbourne to Perth . it doesn't look far on the Map  but it is a long way..lol

Also remember one time we did Mt Dare to Old Andado Homestead travelled most of day and didn't see anybody....

Cheers Don

5 minutes ago, christodan said:

Indian Pacific

Yes did the Indian Pacific for the better half's birthday many years ago...

Sort of like a ship on wheels ....lol

Got on at Adelaide went to Sydney then to Perth ( so could do the complete trip   it was wonderful....

Only thing is is dear... but would love to do again

Cheers Don

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Sort of like a ship on wheels ....lol

Ha ha ! I think that's why it appeals to me.

Yes it is very dear, especially compared to cruising. And not long enough! But now might be the perfect time to do it.

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Welcome to a World of Bubbles

It will all start to become politicised🙄

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We did the Indian Pacific many years ago. It was great. However it's far too expensive now.

It always has been expensive . It is one of the great railway journeys of the world and I for one treasure the memories of the unique experience .

31 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

It always has been expensive . It is one of the great railway journeys of the world and I for one treasure the memories of the unique experience .

It certainly is one of the great rail journeys but it seems to have gone up more than I would have expected since we did it in 2003.

We had two very unusual things happen on our Nullabor crossing:

1. We passed through a heavy rainstorm.

2. We hit a cow. Everyone was teasing the train director wondering if carpaccio was on the menu that night. I was cracking up as I'd actually read the menus online and knew that it was. It was delicious however I suspect quite a few people refused to choose it.

• Like 2

Would be happy to go with any of the new terms/conditions.

Life is short.

Watched that report about how the aged care place in Sydney was managed during the deadly outbreak.

Disgusted with how the people were treated.

One was asked repeatedly by a staff member, I quote do you want to be burned or buried! Who speaks like that? Documented on the End Of Life care plan quote Jan wants to be burned.

Her family said that was not her wish. 

Frankly i would take my chances on a cruise. The fees Refundable Accommodation Deposit alone for that place is $600000 plus. No one was permitted to leave, threat of $11000 fine and jail. Would have been interesting to see if that happened.

Probably did not want to risk having to refund the deposits. Other vile treatment and some died.

Miss planning a trip but can dream.

The 3 or 4  homes in question have not done well in containing the virus and many have died in them but then there are many other homes that have done extremely well. Only takes a few incidents to ruin a reputation though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The 3 or 4  homes in question have not done well in containing the virus and many have died in them but then there are many other homes that have done extremely well. Only takes a few incidents to ruin a reputation though.

So what are your thoughts about the coming season mic,will it happen?

I’m a optimist but I’m not so sure it will happen now . If there’s a few more outbreaks and I think we can give up.

There was a news clip of people i think of people at an airport flying to byron bay no talk about quarantine pre or post.

Confused about what non essential travellers can do and where they can go.

keeps changing.

Would be happy to go to byron bay.

Or north queensland this time of the year.

Wonder how those places are these days, outer islands?

Many were damaged by storms, not sure if they have been rebuilt and are operational.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So what are your thoughts about the coming season mic,will it happen?

I’m a optimist but I’m not so sure it will happen now . If there’s a few more outbreaks and I think we can give up.

There's 0% chance of the Australian 20/21 cruising season happening.  The big question is whether or not we'll have a 21/22 season?

• Like 1