Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

The New Zealand cruise ban is set to expire on 30 June it will be interesting to see what date they extend that to. NZ has had 2 positive cases from returned travellers this week.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/jacinda-arderns-fury-as-uk-travellers-bring-coronavirus-back-to-nz/news-story/0731bb19c5eaed8d10bf24df1fba6e2f

even the cruise lines have read the room and know cruising is not going to start anytime soon. Cunard have cancelled everything until at least 23rd November and P&O until at least 15th October; Carnival Splendour until at least 31st August in Australia. I see Carnival say they may have some sailings from/to US ports from August so that is where US-ers should be directing their travel urges if they just can't wait.

As for NZ, anyone who saw Jacinda Ardern's face when she spoke about the new cases will know the cruise ban for NZ will be extended. She's rightly annoyed, in my opinion, as should all of NZ be for the lax operation of their quarantine rules in this case.

In Victoria, we keep having cases of 'returned travellers' testing positive (in quarantine). 15 just yesterday alone plus one of the hotel workers servicing the quarantined guests. I can't understand why people aren't tested before they get on a plane because surely all these people flying into Australia from overseas with covid puts the whole community at risk as there are so many people they come into contact with (flight crew; airport staff including baggage handlers, customs etc) before they even arrive at a hotel for their quarantine. Those people/workers then go home to their own families and visit shops and so on so could easily spread the virus.

The thought of tourists coming here willy nilly in a few months time makes me feel ill - I'd like to be able to leave my house again one day, or even see my daughter who lives in NZ, again one day. If people keep moving from country to country, it's never going to be safe for us vulnerable types to go out ever again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

even the cruise lines have read the room and know cruising is not going to start anytime soon. Cunard have cancelled everything until at least 23rd November and P&O until at least 15th October; Carnival Splendour until at least 31st August in Australia. I see Carnival say they may have some sailings from/to US ports from August so that is where US-ers should be directing their travel urges if they just can't wait.

As for NZ, anyone who saw Jacinda Ardern's face when she spoke about the new cases will know the cruise ban for NZ will be extended. She's rightly annoyed, in my opinion, as should all of NZ be for the lax operation of their quarantine rules in this case.

In Victoria, we keep having cases of 'returned travellers' testing positive (in quarantine). 15 just yesterday alone plus one of the hotel workers servicing the quarantined guests. I can't understand why people aren't tested before they get on a plane because surely all these people flying into Australia from overseas with covid puts the whole community at risk as there are so many people they come into contact with (flight crew; airport staff including baggage handlers, customs etc) before they even arrive at a hotel for their quarantine. Those people/workers then go home to their own families and visit shops and so on so could easily spread the virus.

The thought of tourists coming here willy nilly in a few months time makes me feel ill - I'd like to be able to leave my house again one day, or even see my daughter who lives in NZ, again one day. If people keep moving from country to country, it's never going to be safe for us vulnerable types to go out ever again.

I wait in trepidation for when the Federal Government permits re entry into OZ of 80,000 Asian students.  No way are they going to self isolate, they will be out and about, working part time in the hospitality industry etc.

As for cruising, write off 2020 in my humble opinion.  The cruise ships are still unloading their crews, 40,000 of them. Then they have to get them back.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I wait in trepidation for when the Federal Government permits re entry into OZ of 80,000 Asian students.  No way are they going to self isolate, they will be out and about, working part time in the hospitality industry etc.

Yep. Madness. Absolute madness.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I understand Les, but if they are properly screened shouldn't the risk be mitigated? I think some Asian countries have done pretty good job of containment.

Is this eminent? If so how are they different from any other international traveler, cruise ship or not? If they are allowed in without proper isolation protocols as required by everyone else entering your country, then Australian citizens and permanent resident are likely to start balking at the whole distancing mantra.  

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I saw a news item on TV that they will have to do a 14 day quarantine. They are just negotiating which percentage of the costs will be covered by Universities, State and Federal governments. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Is this eminent?

"ACT to lead a pilot program to enable the return of international students in July. Only a few hundred students will be allowed to enter the country initially" Source

Other States are keen to follow. It all comes down to money. Education is our 3rd biggest earner after Iron Ore  and Coal. Some of the Uni's are really struggling financially.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I saw a news item on TV that they will have to do a 14 day quarantine. They are just negotiating which percentage of the costs will be covered by Universities, State and Federal governments. 

Perhaps the students should be paying for their quarantine costs?

Leigh

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

In an ideal world 😂. The problem is incentive. Our universities need the students but the students don't really need our universities since there are plenty of alternatives around the world. 

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I should have thought so, too. It is a huge expense to undertake to study overseas (my kids would have loved to but we couldn't dream of affording it for them) so I would have thought that whoever is backing the students (families, I guess) would be able to pay for quarantine for them - it should be viewed as a necessary expense from now on, in studying in Australia. 

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

In an ideal world 😂. The problem is incentive. Our universities need the students but the students don't really need our universities since there are plenty of alternatives around the world. 

Don't they need our universities? From the reading I've been doing recently - international students here talking about studying here - it seems a lot use it as a way of getting residency here. Also, in terms of overseas study for them, it's a very safe alternative (despite the best efforts of disinformation campaigns) and also our currency probably provides a more affordable alternative, as well when compared to US or UK or most of Europe. And our climate is very mild as well - very liveable compared to a lot of places.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The Uni's can put paying for the quarantine as a cost of doing business. Better that losing the Students to the UK or USA, which has been speculated. Australia needs the income from foreign students.

If I'm the parent of any university student almost anywhere in the world, they are not going anywhere near the US, not even MIT or Harvard. The UK is also rather hot still.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Don't they need our universities? From the reading I've been doing recently - international students here talking about studying here - it seems a lot use it as a way of getting residency here. Also, in terms of overseas study for them, it's a very safe alternative (despite the best efforts of disinformation campaigns) and also our currency probably provides a more affordable alternative, as well when compared to US or UK or most of Europe. And our climate is very mild as well - very liveable compared to a lot of places.

At the end of the day everyone is looking for value. If they feel quarantine is an unnecessary expense and they can get a similar quality product somewhere else they will. There are plenty of universities that have the same degrees that offer the same opportunities. Our product is just not unique enough🙄

44 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Some of the Uni's are really struggling financially.

Just like other businesses that are affected by external impacts that affect their businesses, and perhaps even their viability, Universities need to review and amend their business model in an ever changing world. Their reliance on overseas students to fund the operation of their business is a weakness in their model, when the supply of OS students dries up.

We all have to adjust to change, time for them to get with the program. Reducing costs would be a good starting point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

As for cruising, write off 2020 in my humble opinion.  The cruise ships are still unloading their crews, 40,000 of them. Then they have to get them back.

Getting them back would be pretty simple, just fly them to the where the ship is, because air travel will be quite free to do well before cruise ships will be needed.

Minister Birmingham has said borders pretty much closed until 2021 (except for specific cases, like business). International students with quarantine still under consideration.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/coronavirus-australia-borders-likely-to-stay-closed-until-2021/news-story/8a1c8e41dd412c20ff1b4704832adf4b

40 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Minister Birmingham has said borders pretty much closed until 2021 (except for specific cases, like business). International students with quarantine still under consideration.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/coronavirus-australia-borders-likely-to-stay-closed-until-2021/news-story/8a1c8e41dd412c20ff1b4704832adf4b

Just wish he would actually put a date on it like 31 December with a a caveat on it that it could be extended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

Just like other businesses that are affected by external impacts that affect their businesses, and perhaps even their viability, Universities need to review and amend their business model in an ever changing world. Their reliance on overseas students to fund the operation of their business is a weakness in their model, when the supply of OS students dries up.

We all have to adjust to change, time for them to get with the program. Reducing costs would be a good starting point.

The overseas model came from change, and getting with the program, as their federal funding dried up.

Or we can just have an unclever country where you pay full fees, and have to spend 100k just to get a degree (like Bond Uni), and have very few able to afford that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, By The Bay said:

The Uni's can put paying for the quarantine as a cost of doing business. Better that losing the Students to the UK or USA, which has been speculated. Australia needs the income from foreign students.

But don’t WE the taxpayer, pay for the Unis too? So the Uni putting $$ in to help with quarantine is just us too 🤔

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mr walker said:

When the Federal Government withdrew large amounts of funds from universities, the universities were forced to look elsewhere for replacement funds.  Unfortunately, universities, big and small, accepted too many foreign students and now rely on their $$$$s to operate.  Sad situation!

39 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When the Federal Government withdrew large amounts of funds from universities, the universities were forced to look elsewhere for replacement funds.  Unfortunately, universities, big and small, accepted too many foreign students and now rely on their $$$$s to operate.  Sad situation!

Yes, it is well understood the model that has operated for some years now was based on a combination of taxpayer funding & fee paying students from OS. Clearly this model has it's limitations ie what happens if the fee revenue source is lost? Clearly no provision was made for this, as unlikely as it may have seemed that this would happen, and thus the existing model needs to change. Many organisations suffer/fail from models that become unviable.

I don't consider in the short/medium term it is a good option to dilute our border controls to allow in students to balance the books of universities. Let the universities look at reducing costs etc to come up with a viable option. I am sure that it would be very easy to trim a lot of fat from the organisations, maybe not have a Professor, at multiple universities, for every subject that that a google search gives.

• Like 2

I think the most recent figures show that most universities receive about 40% of their operating budgets from the govt for undergraduate education.

Fee paying postgraduate courses for local students bring in substantial dollars. As does fee for service training, consultation etc.

Overseas fee paying students do bring in a lot. Somewhere between 25% and 40% depending upon the institution.

I do not understand what you have against professors. 

Emeritus Professor Docker

• Like 1