Why do we continue to blame the cruise lines like Celebrity?

TeeRick

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I'm guess I understand your point of view but I'm not really in complete agreement with it.  I believe cruise lines were caught up like the rest of us in a very rapidly changing situation.  Just like everything else in our current pandemic society.  I think the current case of Celebrity Eclipse is a very good example of the commitment of this cruise line to do the right thing for passengers and crew members.  There are current threads on this so I will not repeat the story here.  Look it up if interested.

What other choice do they have with the Eclipse? The Chilean port closed on them and refused to allow them to disembark passengers. The other countries en route to the U.S. have closed their ports. (I think Panama might be the only one still open?) The ship was scheduled to go to San Diego anyway so they basically have to bring these passengers along with them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarLieb said:

I'm not blaming Celebrity.  I do think Princess, however, was incredibly negligent in the handling of the Diamond and then the Grand. 

5 hours ago, MightyMike said:

I do not blame Celebrity, but Princess made poor decisions that ultimately lead to sick passengers and even death. They should be held responsible and face consequences.

Please explain how following governmental orders is either negligent or a poor decision? Princess ships were under the control  government entities.

How do feel about the Eclipse having to come back to the US because no other country will allow it to dock?

Edited by rhblake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree. I dont see a single reason why we should blame Celebrity. Its not her fault that this situation occured as well as its not the fault of the crew of their office. If there is someone to blame it would be government. But in any case, everything is done to protect the people. So dont over react. Celebrity is not alone in this situation, trust me

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

What other choice do they have with the Eclipse? The Chilean port closed on them and refused to allow them to disembark passengers. The other countries en route to the U.S. have closed their ports. (I think Panama might be the only one still open?) The ship was scheduled to go to San Diego anyway so they basically have to bring these passengers along with them.

What you say is true but reports from the passengers on board Eclipse right now are very positive - relatively speaking of course.

3 hours ago, rhblake said:

Please explain how following governmental orders is either negligent or a poor decision? Princess ships were under the control  government entities.

How do feel about the Eclipse having to come back to the US because no other country will allow it to dock?

"After the infection was confirmed, company officials incorrectly assumed that the immediate risk was minimal because the sick passenger had disembarked. Health authorities recommended action immediately. “We advise thorough environmental cleansing and disinfection of the cruise,” Albert Lam, an epidemiologist for the Hong Kong government, wrote to the company on Feb. 2.

The company says it stepped up cleaning the next day. But it initiated only the lowest-level protocols for outbreaks. “There’s no point in going and start cleaning the ship when we really didn’t know what, if any, risk there was onboard,” Dr. Tarling said in an interview."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/world/asia/coronavirus-cruise-ship.html

You really think Princess looks squeaky clean in all of this?  Their brand is certainly tarnished, to say the least.

How do I feel about the ship coming to the US?  Well, they are certainly safer and better off here than in Chile and with all the travel restrictions in place, it's really the only answer to get any US citizens safely on home shores (getting to their actual homes is another matter - with California on lock down, who knows how non-Cali residents or international travelers are getting home).  I don't think it was prudent for any of them to get on the ship to begin with or for any of these cruise lines to continue sailing, but, unfortunately, those passengers were caught on that ship when the cruise lines cancelled everything.  They were scheduled to come back here anyway, so, I'm not really sure what you are asking.  I'm actually glad they didn't dock in Chile.  As a US citizen, I certainly wouldn't want to be stranded there through all of this.    

• Like 1

Why we do not trust.X  On Mar 11 cancelled May cruise and was told refund would be applied to the Dec  2020. cruise..  Now today March 2020 X advised us refund could not be applied to existing. cruises.  Rules keep changing.

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Totally agree. I dont see a single reason why we should blame Celebrity. Its not her fault that this situation occured as well as its not the fault of the crew of their office. If there is someone to blame it would be government. But in any case, everything is done to protect the people. So dont over react. Celebrity is not alone in this situation, trust me

I see very few posts actually blaming Celebrity for the problem I do see many posts criticizing the way they are handling the aftermath, and it's richly deserved. The biggest thing being communication about the path going forward. Either they are grossly incompetent or they don't want to cutoff what cash flow they might still coming in. Except for the incident in Chile, when is the last time they made an official statement. 

When are cruises really starting back up? With all the closing, where are they going? To start with.

• Like 5

I don't think anyone is blaming cruise lines for the virus.

I do, however, think they can--and SHOULD--be held accountable for how they have dealt with people on their ships when there has been a case aboard. 

Full transparency and contacting all passengers is the ONLY way to go. Otherwise, it IS a giant fail.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

Why we do not trust.X  On Mar 11 cancelled May cruise and was told refund would be applied to the Dec  2020. cruise..  Now today March 2020 X advised us refund could not be applied to existing. cruises.  Rules keep changing.

Are you sure?

I was told by X yesterday that FCCs could be applied to existing bookings.

75D3D25B-A814-4D63-88CF-0E5D3B12ADFC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cruise lines own a large portion of the problem.  They kept selling/pushing cruises when they were fully aware of the ramifications of the virus, the cruise cancellations, and the impact off guests.  Providing FCCs instead of refunds is another way they continue to support the fallacy that all will be alright in weeks.  It won't.  This is the "new normal."  Cruise lines are taking our money, looking forward to bailouts from the American taxpayer, and still try to obfuscate the seriousness of the whole situation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

39 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Are you sure?

Another post on a different thread with the same information from Celebrity. Yes, you can use the FCC for existing bookings:

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

Are you sure?

75D3D25B-A814-4D63-88CF-0E5D3B12ADFC.jpeg

Makes sense, thank you for posting the chat.

Then again, the only way to confirm this is to use towards a sailing which has not been paid in full, then come back to laud or complain rather than speculate or ask if anyone has... I say go for it and then let us know.

That is how I would approach it and then could solidly indicate what my experience was without question or 'I heard' etc...

bon voyage

Edited to add: For those who have NOT visited the sub-forum Cruise Insurance, there is at least one (1) policy that insures FCC's... go there, read, ask questions if you do not understand what is written (a/k/a skeptics).

Edited by Bo1953

16 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Cruise lines own a large portion of the problem.  They kept selling/pushing cruises when they were fully aware of the ramifications of the virus, the cruise cancellations, and the impact off guests.  Providing FCCs instead of refunds is another way they continue to support the fallacy that all will be alright in weeks.  It won't.  This is the "new normal."  Cruise lines are taking our money, looking forward to bailouts from the American taxpayer, and still try to obfuscate the seriousness of the whole situation. 

Here is my take on it.  Thanks for your comments.  FCC's help them save on cash flow which has immediately and unexpectedly dried up.  They are trying to keep their businesses afloat and pay their overhead including most importantly pay their crew members.  Airlines will likely be bailed out in the future by taxpayers - not so sure about cruise lines.  I have not had the impression that they are obfuscating the seriousness of the situation.  They know the industry is in deep trouble.  They will very likely announce extended cancellation dates.  That will help the majority of people in limbo on cruises after April 11 to get their compensation (yes FCC's likely) and move on.  Most of the folks with late April through June cruises know the story but are just waiting for the announcements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Here is my take on it.  Thanks for your comments.  FCC's help them save on cash flow which has immediately and unexpectedly dried up.  They are trying to keep their businesses afloat and pay their overhead including most importantly pay their crew members.  Airlines will likely be bailed out in the future by taxpayers - not so sure about cruise lines.  I have not had the impression that they are obfuscating the seriousness of the situation.  They know the industry is in deep trouble.  They will very likely announce extended cancellation dates.  That will help the majority of people in limbo on cruises after April 11 to get their compensation (yes FCC's likely) and move on.  Most of the folks with late April through June cruises know the story but are just waiting for the announcements. 

Agreed! Thank you. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:36 PM, hcat said:

Ask for the last numbered confirmation page,  it  should say " cancelled" in upper right and show zero balance,  As for a  note re no refund or fcc,  i suggest you  try again and perhaos escalate at the Celeb one touch  e mail

Tried this but if past sailing date the confirmation is not available.   Called Celebrity, got through immediately, transferred to different dept and received letter via email immediately.  Hopefully enough for the insurance dept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another example of why we absolutely should blame celebrity, they still are saying business as usually with their newest ship the Apex.  X/Apex Capt just recently posted a crew photo, without displaying social distancing, with the message of "hope".  There is zero chance the Apex is going on its maiden voyage on April 13th yet you can still book that sailing and its immediate subsequent sailings.  Many that have Apex sailings in near future who booked US to UK flights through X/Choice have noticed their flights were cancelled by the airline, they've received zero communication by Choice.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Another example of why we absolutely should blame celebrity, they still are saying business as usually with their newest ship the Apex.  X/Apex Capt just recently posted a crew photo, without displaying social distancing, with the message of "hope".  There is zero chance the Apex is going on its maiden voyage on April 13th yet you can still book that sailing and its immediate subsequent sailings.  Many that have Apex sailings in near future who booked US to UK flights through X/Choice have noticed their flights were cancelled by the airline, they've received zero communication by Choice.

Along the same lines, United Airlines announced today the are cancelling all flights to Europe by the end of March. That adds to the current problem of getting there, or home, even if they open up the countries currently banning foreign visitors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Very well said. The behavior of some of the cruise lines is a travesty, and for Celebrity to be taking new bookings for an April sailing in the middle of all this is absurd. And to keep so many booked passengers in limbo regarding cancellations is criminal; so much for any commitment or concern for your customers. Right now, I imagine Celebrity executive management is in "saving your career mode". The reality in my opinion is that they should be given their walking papers for their abysmal handling of events surrounding this disaster - and shown the door without some golden parachute. This executive crew has spent the past few years trampling on a once amazing brand. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/19/2020 at 9:07 PM, MarLieb said:

I'm not blaming Celebrity.  I do think Princess, however, was incredibly negligent in the handling of the Diamond and then the Grand. 

I find equally negligent is a company that does not disclose that passengers on board their ships were found out to be COVID positive.   Health authorities from various regions contacted said company and received passenger manifests to try and contact the passengers that may be ill or potentially exposed within their respective regions.

When passenger(s) queried these cases to said company’s employees while on the next sailing [after the one(s) that had confirmed positive cases]; these cases were denied.   It was only when these passengers arrived home, they found there were “several” cases confirmed and they immediately went into self-isolation due to potential exposure.

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

I find equally negligent is a company that does not disclose that passengers on board their ships were found out to be COVID positive.   Health authorities from various regions contacted said company and received passenger manifests to try and contact the passengers that may be ill or potentially exposed within their respective regions.

When passenger(s) queried these cases to said company’s employees while on the next sailing [after the one(s) that had confirmed positive cases]; these cases were denied.   It was only when these passengers arrived home, they found there were “several” cases confirmed and they immediately went into self-isolation due to potential exposure.

Oh, yes.  Totally agree - that's terrible.  We have a NRD on a December Summit cruise.  I can't even fathom getting on that ship right now or any cruise ship for that matter.  I have no trust in Celebrity anymore.

• Like 1

Well said!  We have 2 cruises booked on the Reflection - November 2020 (America's) and August 2021 (Baltic), and hoping they are not impacted.  We truly are in unprecedented times!

• I cancelled my March 15th cruise on the Silhouette using the "Cruise With Confidence" thing.  I received via e-mail my FCC in the amount of what I paid less the taxes and port fees, which I am waiting to be credited to my credit card.
  • I then called Celebrity, and tried to apply my FCC to a similar Caribbean cruise next March (2021), this time on the Equinox.  Same itinerary, different ship. I had already booked this cruise previously.

I was told that I could not use the FCC on an already booked but not yet paid for cruise.  I told the agent that I would just cancel the cruise, and rebook using the FCC.  

CAN'T DO IT!!!!!!  Read the small print near the bottom of the "Cruise with Confidence" document.  It specifically states you can not use the FCC for a cruise originally booked,  then cancelled.  So, if you even cancel a cruise, you cannot use the FCC to book the same cruise.

You must book a new cruise.  Totally new and different.  The cancel and rebook thing will not work.

So I was told.  Yikes!!!!!   

That is my experience.  I booked a new cruise entirely.  Could not apply the FCC to an existing but not yet paid for cruise.  Please someone say they actually did apply an FCC to an existing but not yet paid for cruise.  Not just talk,  actual example.  I could not do it, even if I cancelled and rebooked the originally booked cruise.