for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi all -- I haven't posted here much lately as I feel like I'd just be a big Scrooge.  Been feeling very disappointed and out of sorts as we (my son and I) had really hoped to visit my parents, sister and BIL in Florida for Christmas. We reluctantly had to admit last week that we just don't feel it is safe to do so. It's really disheartening that even after being SO careful for SO long, there's still so much COVID around that we feel it's not safe for us to travel there (e.g., risking exposure ourselves and then exposing other family members). I haven't been able to see any of them since last Christmas, and as it happens it is also my dad's birthday on Dec 24th -- he will be 94.

I'm having a really hard time finding any Christmas spirit. :classic_sad:. Vaccination can't come soon enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I have been crazy careful and am feeling down about Christmas too. My older daughter, grandson, and daughter's boyfriend were flying in from CA for Christmas, but backed out because she got sick (short of breath, fever, but covid -). Her doc--who suspects either reflux or something thyroid--suggested she self-quarantine because if she did get sick during her travels and needed to be hospitalized, it wouldn't be anywhere local because the hospitals were nearly full. (as of today, she is feeling better, but still short of breath)

And, I planned to visit my parents (MO) in January with their numbers rising and worse than NC's, I opted out. I was supposed to see them in April when my step daughter got married, but that was all cancelled too. I haven't seen them in a couple of years and my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's earlier this year. 

I've not got much Christmas spirit either. I do have one daughter and granddaughter here, and we'll see them. I was looking forward to having my daughters in the same place for the first time in a couple years. 

• Like 2

PH.....so sorry about this but it really is probably for the best that your kids don't travel,

especially since it is across the country.  I was watching the news and omg, CA...well, part of

it, is down to NO ICU beds.  Really scary!  Sending you ((((((((hugs)))))))too!  And I hope your

daughter will be feeling better soon and glad it is not the virus!!!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 11:49 AM, awhfy said:

We’ve been under a mask mandate since April, just extended through January

My town is under a mask mandate.  We're sticking with it through January also.  January is a big tourist time so we want to stay safe.  We're in the "red" zone so not good for our little county right now. 

Crazy day at work!!!  One co-worker suddenly doubled up in pain.  We called the EMTs.  They took her to the hospital.  Poor thing has kidney stones.  I mean, she was in intense pain.  Fortunately our local guys are 5 minutes away so they took good care of her.  You know it was bad when the docs give you Fentanyl and Dilaudid and you still feel it.  Now it's going to be 2 of us for the busiest week - we are splitting the early shift since neither of us like it (she was our early person).   Then, popup reservations, a broken water line to a freezer/icemaker in a rarely used unit, leaking shower, guest shows up with no property manager to greet so I took over (not our unit, but what am I going to do...), the other co-worker leaves 3 hour early  because she is doing the early shift tomorrow, no boss lady today (her day off), no maintenance guy (his day off).   I was exhausted at the end of the shift.  Man, I don't want any more days like this!!!

• Like 1

Who would have thought that something started as a joke would turn out to keep going for so long and morph into a great group of women who support each other!!!!  

Cynthia - Sorry you feel down at the mouth right now on Christmas.  As much as you want to visit, I sure wouldn't recommend anyone going to Florida with it's lack of controls and high level of infection.  I got over my missing family Christmas by always volunteering to work Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Someone I work with can always use the days off with their family.  

I forgot!!!  With all the craziness at work today, one of our owners gave each of us $100 for a Christmas gratuity.  So nice of them.  Things like that always make me feel like I'm doing my job right.  

I'm babbling - so I'm off to bed!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I have been crazy careful and am feeling down about Christmas too. My older daughter, grandson, and daughter's boyfriend were flying in from CA for Christmas, but backed out because she got sick (short of breath, fever, but covid -). Her doc--who suspects either reflux or something thyroid--suggested she self-quarantine because if she did get sick during her travels and needed to be hospitalized, it wouldn't be anywhere local because the hospitals were nearly full. (as of today, she is feeling better, but still short of breath)

And, I planned to visit my parents (MO) in January with their numbers rising and worse than NC's, I opted out. I was supposed to see them in April when my step daughter got married, but that was all cancelled too. I haven't seen them in a couple of years and my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's earlier this year. 

I've not got much Christmas spirit either. I do have one daughter and granddaughter here, and we'll see them. I was looking forward to having my daughters in the same place for the first time in a couple years. 

It's just rotten, isn't it??  So many people not able to spend time together, except "virtually" this year. 

I hope your daughter is okay and that you are able to get together with your family soon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My town is under a mask mandate.  We're sticking with it through January also.  January is a big tourist time so we want to stay safe.  We're in the "red" zone so not good for our little county right now. 

Crazy day at work!!!  One co-worker suddenly doubled up in pain.  We called the EMTs.  They took her to the hospital.  Poor thing has kidney stones.  I mean, she was in intense pain.  Fortunately our local guys are 5 minutes away so they took good care of her.  You know it was bad when the docs give you Fentanyl and Dilaudid and you still feel it.  Now it's going to be 2 of us for the busiest week - we are splitting the early shift since neither of us like it (she was our early person).   Then, popup reservations, a broken water line to a freezer/icemaker in a rarely used unit, leaking shower, guest shows up with no property manager to greet so I took over (not our unit, but what am I going to do...), the other co-worker leaves 3 hour early  because she is doing the early shift tomorrow, no boss lady today (her day off), no maintenance guy (his day off).   I was exhausted at the end of the shift.  Man, I don't want any more days like this!!!

OMG Kat, the description of your day made me tired-I can imagine what it was like for you. I bet the bonu$ made things a bit better.  You know, descriptions of your days at work add a new dimension to this thread (good)-at least for me.

Our daughter gifted us with dinner and wine thru’ her wine club membership. The winery is pairing up with a local restaurant to do take out dinners. Good for both since all our restaurants are take out only. We really like the one they are using tonight. Includes a bottle of wine of course. We will pick up later this afternoon at the winery so looking forward to a little drive out there. 

On a sad note, my 95 year old aunt now has Covid. She is isolated in a room in her nursing home and is doing ok right now. I hope she doesn’t need hospitalization since there are no beds at most Southern California hospitals. People are waiting outside in wheel chairs and ambulances! She was an RN and does not have dementia so fully aware of what this means for her. Fortunately, this nursing home is on top of things and while there have been some Covid cases nobody has died.

Hope everyone has a safe week end.

Sharon

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 6:37 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hi all -- I haven't posted here much lately as I feel like I'd just be a big Scrooge.  Been feeling very disappointed and out of sorts as we (my son and I) had really hoped to visit my parents, sister and BIL in Florida for Christmas. We reluctantly had to admit last week that we just don't feel it is safe to do so. It's really disheartening that even after being SO careful for SO long, there's still so much COVID around that we feel it's not safe for us to travel there (e.g., risking exposure ourselves and then exposing other family members). I haven't been able to see any of them since last Christmas, and as it happens it is also my dad's birthday on Dec 24th -- he will be 94.

I'm having a really hard time finding any Christmas spirit. :classic_sad:. Vaccination can't come soon enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Cynthia, another big cyber hug for you :)   There are moments of despair where I feel like I've given up everything for so long, & yet look what's happening all around me...  try & stay strong, the vaccines are really & truly coming for all of us ( but I know it's just not soon enough, right?)

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's just rotten, isn't it??  So many people not able to spend time together, except "virtually" this year. 

I hope your daughter is okay and that you are able to get together with your family soon. 

She is feeling somewhat better, but the short of breath is hanging on. I am looking forward to seeing my youngest daughter and granddaughter.

Sharon, I hope your Aunt does well.

I am listed as a 1B priority for the covid vaccines. I don't know whether to be excited or worried. I'd prefer a longer trial to know if there are any long-term issues, but a very smart nursing friend that I respect pointed out that the long-term issues with covid could be worse.  As I already have lung issues (sarcoidosis), I will probably get it when it's my turn even though my employer says they won't require it. . .yet.  Of course, they have to get through all the hospitals before they get to ambulatory care.

On 12/18/2020 at 8:39 PM, Lois R said:

PH.....so sorry about this but it really is probably for the best that your kids don't travel,

especially since it is across the country.  I was watching the news and omg, CA...well, part of

it, is down to NO ICU beds.  Really scary!  Sending you ((((((((hugs)))))))too!  And I hope your

daughter will be feeling better soon and glad it is not the virus!!!

She's in Sonoma County, and has been doing a pretty good job of isolating as much as possible. She did move this summer, but stay-at-home reinforced that she needed a bigger place for her and her 10-year-old than the tiny apartment she'd been in for several years.

Did I ever tell you that my mother is from Jacksonville and that a large chunk of her 11 brothers and sisters still live nearby?  The family "farm" is in Oceanway--she went to Andrew Jackson high school (class of 1962). We lived there for a while when I was very young after Dad got out of the Navy.

12 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

She is feeling somewhat better, but the short of breath is hanging on. I am looking forward to seeing my youngest daughter and granddaughter.

Sharon, I hope your Aunt does well.

I am listed as a 1B priority for the covid vaccines. I don't know whether to be excited or worried. I'd prefer a longer trial to know if there are any long-term issues, but a very smart nursing friend that I respect pointed out that the long-term issues with covid could be worse.  As I already have lung issues (sarcoidosis), I will probably get it when it's my turn even though my employer says they won't require it. . .yet.  Of course, they have to get through all the hospitals before they get to ambulatory care.

Purple Hays, if it's any comfort it's been almost 6 weeks since my husband has been fully vaccinated...  his only side effects were a sore arm....  DD, who is also vaccinated had zero side effects, not even sore arm.  I hope this helps :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Purple Hays, if it's any comfort it's been almost 6 weeks since my husband has been fully vaccinated...  his only side effects were a sore arm....  DD, who is also vaccinated had zero side effects, not even sore arm.  I hope this helps 🙂

It does. What does he do that he was so early on the list? Was he in one of the trials?  I'm a nurse, but don't work in a hospital or on the front lines (and I don't consider myself a hero. I knew what I was signing up for when I went to nursing school--all three degrees).

10 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

She's in Sonoma County, and has been doing a pretty good job of isolating as much as possible. She did move this summer, but stay-at-home reinforced that she needed a bigger place for her and her 10-year-old than the tiny apartment she'd been in for several years.

Did I ever tell you that my mother is from Jacksonville and that a large chunk of her 11 brothers and sisters still live nearby?  The family "farm" is in Oceanway--she went to Andrew Jackson high school (class of 1962). We lived there for a while when I was very young after Dad got out of the Navy.

Hi, Sonoma? Wine Country! So she is in the Northern part of the state.

Nope, you had not mentioned you have family here or that you lived here.

Oceanway is all the way on the Northside of town. I am in the opposite 

direction.  I am south.  And we still have 2 Navy bases so we are definitely 

a Navy town.

And you are a nurse? Thank you for your service!👍

• Like 2

Our oldest daughter’s MIL has been hospitalized again. She (& her husband) had Covid over Thanksgiving. This time she’s hospitalized with pulmonary (lung) blood clots & very decreased oxygen levels. We’re all very worried for her. These 2 were so very cautious, only meeting over Zoom, grocery delivery, only time they left their house was to go feed the horse. Their son (daughters husband) would even take their car & fill the gas tank. They are 76 & 78 (just a tad older than Les & I) 🙏🏻🙏🏻

On a lighter note, I’m making a crockpot pot roast today (shoulder roast, packet of Beefy French onion soup mix, 2 packets of aus jus gravy mix, 2 cups of water & one cup of red wine & a package of baby carrots). The house already smells fabulous!  Melody

15 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

It does. What does he do that he was so early on the list? Was he in one of the trials?  I'm a nurse, but don't work in a hospital or on the front lines (and I don't consider myself a hero. I knew what I was signing up for when I went to nursing school--all three degrees).

Hi, we both participated in the Pfizer trial, he got the real shot, I'm team Placebo :)

My DD also received real shot, she had zero side effects, so go get that shot & reclaim some of your life :)

anyone in healthcare is a hero in my book :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Our oldest daughter’s MIL has been hospitalized again. She (& her husband) had Covid over Thanksgiving. This time she’s hospitalized with pulmonary (lung) blood clots & very decreased oxygen levels. We’re all very worried for her. These 2 were so very cautious, only meeting over Zoom, grocery delivery, only time they left their house was to go feed the horse. Their son (daughters husband) would even take their car & fill the gas tank. They are 76 & 78 (just a tad older than Les & I) 🙏🏻🙏🏻

On a lighter note, I’m making a crockpot pot roast today (shoulder roast, packet of Beefy French onion soup mix, 2 packets of aus jus gravy mix, 2 cups of water & one cup of red wine & a package of baby carrots). The house already smells fabulous!  Melody

Melody, prayers for your daughter's in laws, it's awful that the MIL is so sick when she was being so careful.  Hopefully she live in an area where the hospital has room & staff to take good care of her.

that roast sounds amazing!  don't know what we will do for dinner... I'm just eating breakfast lol ;)  & we are in the midst of another kitchen project, finally putting up the crown molding :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, Sonoma? Wine Country! So she is in the Northern part of the state.

Nope, you had not mentioned you have family here or that you lived here.

Oceanway is all the way on the Northside of town. I am in the opposite 

direction.  I am south.  And we still have 2 Navy bases so we are definitely 

a Navy town.

And you are a nurse? Thank you for your service!👍

She *is* in wine country. I enjoy sampling when we can visit. She is in a pretty strict stay-at-home order that was never truly lifted.

My Dad was actually stationed at one of the Navy bases when he met Mom. His friend was being shipped out and took Dad to meet her (my Aunt Becky or Rachel). He saw Mom and that was it. It was her 18th birthday and they married five months later. They just celebrated 58 years together this summer.

I am a nurse. I have been in the OR for 30+ years and still enjoy it. Most days, that is. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

I hope your daughter's MIL does well. Pulmonary lung clots don't sound pleasant.

• Like 1