Your next P&O cruise

Eddie99

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

but I can understand P&O dragging their feet over pulling the plug. 

To a certain extent I can understand that. What I do not understand is why P&O drastically reduced their FCC offer, which has not only increased the number of people that will request a refund (which is not good for cash flow),  but has also severely p*****ed off those of us that might have considered the offer, but were told not to make contact until nearer the time of our cruise.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To a certain extent I can understand that. What I do not understand is why P&O drastically reduced their FCC offer, which has not only increased the number of people that will request a refund (which is not good for cash flow),  but has also severely p*****ed off those of us that might have considered the offer, but were told not to make contact until nearer the time of our cruise.

Presumably because their algorithms told them they could, and that people would still bite even at the lower figure.  Algorithms take little account of reputational damage though...... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Presumably because their algorithms told them they could, and that people would still bite even at the lower figure.  Algorithms take little account of reputational damage though...... 

Probably true, but why on earth anyone would opt for the 10% offer in the current climate is beyond me.

My little 2 nighter has been cancelled. We’re booked on Azura in October for my husband’s 60th so I’m keeping everything crossed it goes ahead as we booked it 2 years ago!

Edited by P&O SUE

17 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Realistically, I reckon PandO will cancel our forthcoming cruises (April & May) and we'll take the refund.

Positively, aka hopefully; our Iona cruise will go ahead and FCO advice will be relaxed.

Then we've got Arcadia's 2021 worldie.  Hopefully she will make it back in time from her current worldie as we really do want to go ahead on that one, even though I'm fizzing at PandO's current stance 😠.

Last one booked is another usually once only a year itinery (for PandO), so reluctant to forego the deposit just so I can 🖕 PandO even though it is only 5%.

That said, I reserve the right to use cancellation and therefore the balances of our post 2020 cruises as weapons if PandO don't play fairly regarding our 2020 cruises.

A friend and I are on the 2021 worldie for half of it, to Sydney. If it looks unlikely in September when the balance is due, we'll rebook for 2022.

We have a cruise booked on Arcadia Oct 2020 and one on Ventura Jan 2021.I can t see the Oct cruise happening but not sure whether to pay the balance(due end of June) or pay it and wait and see.We have only paid £50pp as we booked onboard and I am tempted to cancel in June depending on how things are (I don t want to risk paying the balance and then P and O or Carnival going into administrationI won t be too disappointed if that cruise doesn t go ahead but the one on Ventura is 35 nights so really hoping things will have improved by then.The deposit was a lot more and I wouldnt want to lose that (due end of October) but hopefully will know more by then.Despite feeling  disappointed that P and O aren t treating everyone equally we probably would cruise with them in the future as I don t like flying but I would look at other companies that sail from the UK which we already do

We are booked on the Iona Maiden and a 3 week cruise on Aurora in the summer. 

We were beginning to ‘cool’ slightly on P&O before this outbreak (due to the way they were taking the brand) but their handling of this whole affair has left a very bad taste in our mouths and we currently feel disinclined to book more cruises with them. They have been far too slow to react compared to their competitors and, when they have eventually reacted, it hasn’t been impressive. Last week, when their ‘improved’ cancellation terms came out, they slightly redeemed themselves, but withdrawing these terms within days smacks of an organisation in chaos. This doesn’t fill me with confidence about their long term viability. 

We are making the assumption that P&O knows full well that it won’t be cruising anywhere for at least 3 months and has only cancelled cruises for the next 4 weeks in order to ease their admin (they are being swamped with cancellations and can’t cope with the volume of them) and assist with cash flow. They are also creating a ‘panic’ amongst passengers, getting them to ‘lock in’ their money via non-refundable Future Cruise Credit, again in order to help cash flow but also in an attempt to shore up the share price (as they will quote future commitments in their next trading updates). 

We are sitting tight on the assumption that we will get a full cash refund on the Iona cruise when P&O cancels it and we will probably wait until balance due date on the Aurora cruise and, having written that deposit off, will take it as FCC and possibly consider using it for a very cheap one week cruise in a year or two’s time. With the enormous falls in the financial markets of late, the balance that we would have been paying (and will now save) will help offset a tiny proportion of my losses!

• Like 1

I read elsewhere that some TA staff with another British cruise line have been advised that they might have to prepare for cancellations to the end of the year! I have a Azura cruise in October, deposit £70 and the balance due late June. They are not getting that money. Also, a Iona cruise next January, deposit £80 final payment November. they are not getting that money either. The £150 lost money is more than compensated for by - not going to Costa 6 days a week. not going to the social club twice a week, not putting £10 in the fruit machine twice a week.

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I read elsewhere that some TA staff with another British cruise line have been advised that they might have to prepare for cancellations to the end of the year! I have a Azura cruise in October, deposit £70 and the balance due late June. They are not getting that money. Also, a Iona cruise next January, deposit £80 final payment November. they are not getting that money either. The £150 lost money is more than compensated for by - not going to Costa 6 days a week. not going to the social club twice a week, not putting £10 in the fruit machine twice a week.

Sounds like you’re quids in there Dave 😂 👍

44 minutes ago, Clodia said:

A friend and I are on the 2021 worldie for half of it, to Sydney. If it looks unlikely in September when the balance is due, we'll rebook for 2022.

We're genuinely hoping the 2021 cruise will go ahead.  We chose our cabin at launch getting what we wanted, and were really pleased that it's Arcadia.

Although the 2022 itinery has some ports which tick our boxes more (Japan), we're not so keen on the balconies on Aurora.  OH has insisted it must be a balcony, and she must be obeyed.  Plus we could probably do a round Japan cruise with Cunard or Princess - if they're still around.

Hopefully see you on board in January. 🙂

I have a med cruise booked for October and will keep my fingers crossed but my breath is definitely not being bated for that one.  I do hope that my World Cruise Sector at the end of Jan 2021 on Arcadia will go ahead.

10 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Realistically,  2020 is out altogether and even 2021 looks doubtful if you look at the scientific evidence:

BBC News - Coronavirus: When will the outbreak end and life get back to normal?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486

Still spreading the Joy I see Harry 😊

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Still spreading the Joy I see Harry 😊

Sorry, Andy.  I'm a realist, not a fantasist, and I've always been a firm believer in facing facts, rather than trying to swerve them.  And I try to get my information from reliable sources (as distinct from certain social media sites).

I know facing facts isn't always popular, but facing them earlier rather than too late is a sensible policy - and we can see the outcome of facing facts too late around us now.  I don't think any of my earlier posts (seen by some as doom mongering at the time) have proved wildly out, but some of the more 'optimistic' posters who tried to argue that Coronavirus was no worse than flu, or that it was just a Chinese problem, are looking pretty silly now.  I only wish they'd been proved right.  I'd have been very happy to apologise for getting it wrong.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry, Andy.  I'm a realist, not a fantasist, and I've always been a firm believer in facing facts, rather than trying to swerve them.  And I try to get my information from reliable sources (as distinct from certain social media sites).

I know facing facts isn't always popular, but facing them earlier rather than too late is a sensible policy - and we can see the outcome of facing facts too late around us now.  I don't think any of my earlier posts (seen by some as doom mongering at the time) have proved wildly out, but some of the more 'optimistic' posters who tried to argue that Coronavirus was no worse than flu, or that it was just a Chinese problem, are looking pretty silly now.  I only wish they'd been proved right.  I'd have been very happy to apologise for getting it wrong.

I don't disagree with you entirely Harry but there are no absolute facts at this time.

Why are so called first world countries like Italy, Spain and France getting hit so badly whilst Japan, who doesn't seem to have any major 'social distancing' policies recorded so few cases and deaths relative to their population?

The link below is very good to track the progress of the virus.

Towards the bottom of the link it states that the estimate for deaths each year relating to complication brought on by ordinary flu run at 290,000 - 650,000.

Will we get there with Coronavirus? - I hope not. Time will tell. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

As is often the case, I agree with a lot of what you say. 

The main difference is I am a glass half full kind of guy and you are looking under the table... 😊

But, all respect Harry, you study things far more intimately than I ever would have time for, so will always (well, nearly always) value your opinion. 

Andy 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

As is often the case, I agree with a lot of what you say. 

The main difference is I am a glass half full kind of guy and you are looking under the table... 😊

But, all respect Harry, you study things far more intimately than I ever would have time for, so will always (well, nearly always) value your opinion. 

Andy 

+1

15 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Hopefully and been positive, we will be on the Arcadia on November 6th 2020 Med Cruise. Then in January 2021 Azura for the Caribbean. 

Everyone  have a good and safe weekend

You too Bob. 

Nice to hear some positivity 

Andy 

27 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Hopefully and been positive, we will be on the Arcadia on November 6th 2020 Med Cruise. Then in January 2021 Azura for the Caribbean. 

Everyone  have a good and safe weekend

We'll see you on Arcadia  then bob. We can all have a drink and celebrate. Have a safe weekend and keep washing those hands.👏 😉

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

And with no effectively coordinated healthcare system the consequences will be far worse. 

Too true Harry. At least we do have a healthcare system even if it's not perfect.

Our next cruise is the Iona maiden which seems certain to be cancelled and then Ventura at the end of October which has to be questionable. I just wonder whether Iona will be rescheduled for when it is safe to cruise again and at least Ionafest (if it happens) and the maiden voyage will be offered to those currently booked before anybody else. Of course, if it is in the winter, maybe Norway will not be such an attractive destination.