Bed Bugs on the Oosterdam !

With most of the "cruise industry" on pause because of the international pandemic, it will give Holland America Line and other cruise lines the opportunity to clean and sanitize all of their ships.  While cruise staff work very hard at keeping their stations clean, it's difficult to really sanitize and clean facilities that are in continuous (and high density) use.

1 minute ago, bennybear said:

Sadly, we experienced this at a hotel. We knew in the morning.  There is NO mistaking them. 

It is the three bites in a row that give them away. Doctor friend calls the three bites "breakfast, lunch and dinner"

At this point, it doesn't matter where you got them - you have them.  They don't just bite one night and go away - they are there until you get rid of them.  I would look into the bedbug prep and fumigation services in your area.  The corners in your luggage could be where they hitchhiked into your home...

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Sadly, we experienced this at a hotel. We knew in the morning.  There is NO mistaking them. 

Happened to my Husband several years ago while on a Business trip.  Also, knew the next morning when he woke up with bites on his shoulder Area.  Checked out immediately that morning and checked into a different hotel.  Luckily, he didn’t bring any home with him.    Nasty little things!  

My wife and I were on the Oosterdam in January.  We captured a bed bug from our bed in a plastic bag.  We took the bug to the front desk.  Our room was torn apart by the crew.  We were assured that there was not an infestation in our cabin and we were offered all kinds of cleaning services. 

The head of the cleaning crew told us that our situation was not unique.  We slept a bit uneasily for a night or two, but there was no problem with bites or more bugs.....but our room stewards were very concerned and checked with us continually.

I never post on this board, but I was really offended by the shade given to the OP by some.

• Like 2

For those being so defensive of HAL, yes they do get bed bugs.  And they will tear the room apart if they are even suspected to try to eradicate them.
Funny story to back this up - we once had a mosquito in our cabin, which bit me several times.  I asked our room steward if they had any bug spray, explaining about the mosquito.  Obviously, something was lost in translation because we were asked to see the ship doctor, and the room was instantly thoroughly inspected (torn apart) and deep cleaned, and some substance sprayed all over (we slept in another cabin for the night) and the girl at Guest Services whispered to me why this was happening.  But they got that pesky mosquito!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, RuthC said:

Since the bed bugs didn't manifest until a few days after you returned home, could they have transferred to your suitcase from another on the flight(s) home? 

You can absolutely be right. I learned from this conversation that I have to check luggage and (hotel)beds in the future. And Google to see how those bugs look like. Never saw any in my quite long life.

Edited by MAVIP

14 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

For those being so defensive of HAL, yes they do get bed bugs.  And they will tear the room apart if they are even suspected to try to eradicate them.

We are not being defensive of HAL.

We are just aware that the timeline and circumstances don't fit  for bed bugs on the cruise.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ElkGroveCruiser said:

Wife and I were on the same cruise and came home bite free.  Just an FYI.  We did NOT have a suite...just a verandah cabin.  Maybe the bed bugs only like the suites?  😀

I was on that same cruise, in a Signature Suite, room 8075. No bites.

2 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

So glad that the bugs were not in other cabins on the ship !! 

There is not enough evidence to conclude the bed bugs were definitely in your cabin, either. 
Yes, they could have been, but there are other possibilities how you got bed bug bites. 

• Like 2

We embarked on Oosterdam on the 7th of March. SY8063. No bites. I always, always, ALWAYS, check for bugs, keep our suitcases zippered shut because they DO need to go under the bed. I bring actual bleach wipes and wipe down everything. Including remote control, phone, and light switches down to the teeniest item in the room. 

I have had people snicker at me for wiping our tray tables, safety cards and seats on airplanes. I ask them if they were ever a victim of MRSA.  (Volunteered 14 years at our hospital and saw plenty..) That normally shuts them up.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
add on
  • Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Returned from a wonderful, relaxing cruise (Mexican Riviera) on March 7th

Discovered several red bites on my back on about the the 10th of March - itchy, itchy, itchy !

After trying SEVERAL different lotions, creams, etc. to stop the itch, for the last week, finally went to the Dr. yesterday - and was diagnosed with bed bug bites ! Dr. thought about 10 days old.

I always sleep on my back - My husband has Sleep Apnea - DID not sleep on a bed in our stateroom on the ship, but sitting up in a chair, next to his CPAP machine. - he has NO bites ! 

Just thought everyone should be aware. 

I am going to send an email to the execs at HAL

One and only cruise we took to Cazumel, Cabo etc., aboard Oosterdam in 2011, I started itching like crazy before we headed to San Diego. I had what appeared to be bites on my lower legs and ankles. Hubby had nothing (we do share a bed.)

It was not until we were home and I realized that these were not BB bites as I'd suspected but Sand Fleas. Sand fleas are nearly invisible, though I did see a couple while I was lazing on my verandah.

My Dr did say that it is almost impossible to tell the difference sometimes between bites of various insects....

Joanie

On 3/19/2020 at 5:00 PM, RuthC said:

??? 
Disembark 3/7. 
Bug bites appear @ 3/10. 
Doctor visit 3/18. Bites found to be 10 days old. 
Bites @ 3/8. After disembarkation. 

How do you figure it's 'obvious' that the bugs were in the stateroom??? 

And, no doctor can give you an exact date of those bites--they're either fresh, recent, or resolving. 

Bed bug feeding sites usually begin itching with 72 hours and, if not scratched extensively, resolve after a week or so.

I doubt he'd have theorized "10 days old" unless he was told about the recent cruise history.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, bozemanman said:

From my EcoLab Tech. .most common place for bed bugs is the movie theater!

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

And I was so looking forward to hitting the multiplex after this shelter-in-place order gets lifted!

Yes it happens!!

We were on Westerdam a few years back. I decided to stay onboard at one of our stops.  About 2 hours after most guest disembarked I noticed workers carrying mattresses off the ship. I asked our cabin steward what that was all about and he said”little bugs in the beds!” 
Sure sounded like bedbugs to me! YUCK