P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Pick of the Pops, Sunday afternoons, trying to record the Top Ten without the DJ talking over the intro.

Couldn’t afford a Grundig though.  Saved all my pocket money and present money for ages to get an Elizabethan. 23 guineas. 

Frank was 17 and working at the time. He still had to save up though. Could have got it on HP but he didn't believe in it and we still don't. The only time we did was to buy our house, otherwise we'd still be saving.😁

Avril

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Pick of the Pops, Sunday afternoons, trying to record the Top Ten without the DJ talking over the intro.

Couldn’t afford a Grundig though.  Saved all my pocket money and present money for ages to get an Elizabethan. 23 guineas. 

Oh yes, ditto here; strictly speaking it was illegal to tape from the radio, which added a certain frission of excitement to the whole thing. Fortunately, my Father was equally fond of (illegally) taping from Third Service classical broadcasts, so coughed up for a state of the art tape recorder.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Nice to hear from you Andy , our decisions are not always nice ones but need to be because

sometimes unfortunately they are the right ones .:classic_mellow:

Glad to see two mysteries solved . First you were busy with work :classic_smile:

and now we all know where Dave's  Granny's spare nighty used to disappear to now.:classic_biggrin::classic_wink:

Keep smiling Andy and take care :classic_smile:

My listening to Radio Luxembourg in bed was a bit before transistors took off,  I am a bit concerned to admit that my radio was a portable "jewel case" variety, with a whopping great ,Ever Ready battery that weighed a ton. Not sure what Andy and Kalos will make of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My listening to Radio Luxembourg in bed was a bit before transistors took off,  I am a bit concerned to admit that my radio was a portable "jewel case" variety, with a whopping great ,Ever Ready battery that weighed a ton. Not sure what Andy and Kalos will make of that.

John we must be a similar age!  what a memory.  Just the bit about listening to Luxembourg in bed.

Edited by jeanlyon

Well as Sarah says it’s very wet and windy here, we did the best thing and went to very nearby Lynmouth for a roast with the most enormous Yorkshire puds! The river was noisily cascading into the sea! 

0F2A24EC-AEBF-44BE-A163-5AA1F849693A.jpeg

191E7696-65E5-4969-8505-03771945689D.jpeg

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 12

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well as Sarah says it’s very wet and windy here, we did the best thing and went to very nearby Lynmouth for a roast with the most enormous Yorkshire puds! The river was noisily cascading into the sea! 

0F2A24EC-AEBF-44BE-A163-5AA1F849693A.jpeg

191E7696-65E5-4969-8505-03771945689D.jpeg

Have you knicked Grahams camera.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Weather is fantastically aweful emoji23.png I’d hate it if I was at home but love it like this at the coast. We went for a walk but could hardly move forwards going into the wind, had to find a different way home.
This could be my most flattering photo ever emoji23.pngemoji23.pngIMG_3451.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s brilliant Sarah! Your balcony view was very dramatic. 
We did get caught in the traffic on the M3, I think about 50 mins.

Should have been sailing from Southampton today, consoling myself the BoB would have been rough!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

At least you didn't walk about with it strapped to your shoulder like they did years later with them "Ghetto Blasters"

Only cos you couldn.t lift it that high :classic_unsure: I've seen one of them for sale on E-bay . Volume stuck on full ,hence "£2
I thought, "I can't turn that down" :classic_wink:

Ok Avril I can take a hint :classic_biggrin:

Talking of radio's ... :classic_smile:      A british cruise ship is nearby a port in Germany and calls for help on the radio.

"Help ! WE ARE SINKING! WE ARE SINKING! "

The German Coastguard replies:  " What are you sinking about ? " :classic_wink:

and the police radio :classic_biggrin:...

Police constable sees a  wanted man and radio's in to police control ...

Police constable    "Suspect is engaging in high-profile break-dancing outside Tesco's "

Radio control : "Copy That"

Police constable    "Well I'm not sure but I will give it a go ":classic_unsure: :classic_smile:

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sorry, just been a bit busy with work, difficult times. 

Just starting to feel the effects from lockdown really and having to plan for whatever is likely to happen next. 

Tough decisions that affects others does not sit comfortably with me, so not really been my usual positive self. 

We are fine though, thank you Avril and Graham for your thoughts. 

Andy & Michelle xx

Sorry to hear you’ve had some difficult times Andy , you were missed. Hope you feel a bit more cheerful today.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Weather is fantastically aweful emoji23.png I’d hate it if I was at home but love it like this at the coast. We went for a walk but could hardly move forwards going into the wind, had to find a different way home.
This could be my most flattering photo ever emoji23.pngemoji23.pngIMG_3451.JPG

That face covering should work ok🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

0F2A24EC-AEBF-44BE-A163-5AA1F849693A.thumb.jpeg.90974d1f8a096fd50e24c5cdcadf13aa.jpeg
191E7696-65E5-4969-8505-03771945689D.thumb.jpeg.c66898f45bd6cd3bb1098da345b7f72d.jpeg

That looks delicious, we had a roast but no parsnips. The sticky toffee pudding almost beat me, but I bravely soldiered on [emoji23]
d8f3581ce4b824dd4a85613a4f4b5cf1.jpgIMG_3458.JPG

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

John we must be a similar age!  what a memory.  Just the bit about listening to Luxembourg in bed.

I used to listen to radio Luxembourg but not in bed .

We were given a radiogram that looked nice when we were just starting up our house .

The turntable didn't work  nor did most of the radio tuner but every night around 8PM 

we could tune into MW208 and apart from that it looked nice .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

I remember Fab 208 and Horace Batchelor K-E-Y-N etc as others have said

What about Friday Night is Amami Night?  Imagine looking forward to staying in and putting some sort of gloop on your hair, followed by plastic curlers, as a Friday treat!

Couldn’t find an audio clip but here’s an article from the Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1262377/Wave-goodbye-secret-girls-curl-1950s-setting-lotion-discontinued.html

Nice looking Sunday beef.  🥘 We had a Tesco turkey  thigh roast lunch.  Very good and ridiculous value at £3 something for today and another meal later in the week (possibly a bone for the pup to nibble the ends - will have to think about that

We’ve been back to the static caravan site for further discussions.  A great pitch has just become available.  It’s been earmarked for us.  Looks like this may be ON.  Cruisers to caravanners in 9 months! 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’m taking my kids out on Halloween. Need to get them outfits but we just bought some fake webs and spiders from home bargains. 

love Halloween 

I love baking for Halloween. Severed fingers spounges.  Pop cakes like eyeballs. Cinder toffee etc.

I have had no need of it recently but I also used to be an expert at making tattie bogles.

While we will not get guisers to the door this year we will decorate the house anyway and leave a pumpkin with packets of sweets at the end of the drive for any passing Neighbour children, it would be a real shame if they missed out.

What costumes are you making?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I love baking for Halloween. Severed fingers spounges.  Pop cakes like eyeballs. Cinder toffee etc.

I have had no need of it recently but I also used to be an expert at making tattie bogles.

While we will not get guisers to the door this year we will decorate the house anyway and leave a pumpkin with packets of sweets at the end of the drive for any passing Neighbour children, it would be a real shame if they missed out.

What costumes are you making?

making? I’d love to be that kinda mum but after the miss polly disaster last year my kids do not want anything I have made. 

I need to get some good spooky cooking. Only thing we did was turn hot dogs into fingers and put red sauce on it. Amused them last year not sure it will this time round. 

our estate last year was awesome with Halloween and while we went trick or treating we just left a massive bowl on the front pathway for the others to help themselves. 
this is what we will do this year and we will go have a walk around seeing everyone else’s houses and pumpkins 🎃 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

That looks delicious, we had a roast but no parsnips. The sticky toffee pudding almost beat me, but I bravely soldiered on emoji23.png
d8f3581ce4b824dd4a85613a4f4b5cf1.jpgIMG_3458.JPG

Lovely!
We didn’t have pudding as went for  starters. I had salt and pepper squid mmmm.