P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

23 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Can anyone give me advice on how to resolve a problem with this thread? When I first log on it takes me to page 1589. I have to request the current page every time. It doesn’t happen with other threads.

i don’t have that problem, if I click on the thread title it takes me to latest page or click on the latest page number.  I often click on the most recent poster on the right hand side and the scroll up from there to where unread posts start since I last viewed the thread. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

I don’t log out Avril, I used the term automatically. When I go into the P&O page on CC, it list all the threads but when I click on this one it goes to page 1589 and I have to manually put in the current page number to see it. Very odd (not sure if I have done something to cause this!).

I usually click on my notifications on someone who has liked etc my posts.

If I click on >> it takes me to the last page and it is easy to find Unread Replies.

Graham. 

Screenshot_20221213_103919_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221213_103524_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by grapau27

It is all a mystery to me - I guess most of you use your snazzy phones for looking at things and posting; I just have my trusty laptop, on its desk, and visit now and again!  I get the latest page of any forum, and when logged in, any unread posts come up in bold.  Is this what happens for most people?

My mobile is hardly used - always goes out with me in the car though - and is pretty old fashioned, but does the basic job when needed.  It will do photos etc., but I don't understand how, and don't bother.  Just an old Luddite, I suppose. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is all a mystery to me - I guess most of you use your snazzy phones for looking at things and posting; I just have my trusty laptop, on its desk, and visit now and again!  I get the latest page of any forum, and when logged in, any unread posts come up in bold.  Is this what happens for most people?

My mobile is hardly used - always goes out with me in the car though - and is pretty old fashioned, but does the basic job when needed.  It will do photos etc., but I don't understand how, and don't bother.  Just an old Luddite, I suppose. 

No phone for me, I use my laptop. I had a problem the other day - the same post came up twice, although I tried to delete one! 

A dull, damp, drizzly day down here. Still not nice but not freezing as we have reached the heights of 7c, although it won't last long as tomorrow's forecast is of a high of 2 and snow

On 12/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, lincslady said:

I stumbled across Sky Arts yesterday afternoon, and it was a 'live' concert from California by the Eagles - fairly recent.  Fabulous guitar playing, and great to hear the old favourites again; we all loved them,  my generation and the 'children' too.

Surprising the range that Sky Arts offers - and free on Freeview too (we don't have a Sky subscription).  

A really good documentary on Spike Milligan last week, with a lot of previously unseen material, if anyone's interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/dec/01/documentary-opens-up-spike-milligans-treasure-trove-of-scripts-and-footage

Not everyone's cup of tea, maybe, but to many an absolute genius.  Lucky enough to be able to see a recording of one of his BBC2 'Q' series back in the 70s - unforgettable!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Can anyone give me advice on how to resolve a problem with this thread? When I first log on it takes me to page 1589. I have to request the current page every time. It doesn’t happen with other threads.

I can only assume that the system thinks you have not read some posts  around 1589. Possibly if you use the next page feature to get you to the current page it will get you back to normal.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Surprising the range that Sky Arts offers - and free on Freeview too (we don't have a Sky subscription).  

A really good documentary on Spike Milligan last week, with a lot of previously unseen material, if anyone's interested:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/dec/01/documentary-opens-up-spike-milligans-treasure-trove-of-scripts-and-footage

Not everyone's cup of tea, maybe, but to many an absolute genius.  Lucky enough to be able to see a recording of one of his BBC2 'Q' series back in the 70s - unforgettable!

I saw the great Spike Milligan on stage in the mid 70s. The humorous singer and guitarist Jeremy Taylor appeared alongside him. They were both hilarious and the concert didn’t end until the early hours when Spike said he had run out of things to say, dropped his trousers and left the stage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well minus 5 here, white with frost and foggy.

I had to drive to meet up with a friend and the journey was dreadful. I was fine near home but when I got into town a new box of nutters had been opened and they hadn’t a clue how to drive on black ice. One skidded right across a mini roundabout and got stuck in the middle, people should learn to drive to the road conditions and not break sharply on ice.

On the way home a tractor on the other side of the road kicked up muck and I couldn’t clean my windscreen as the antifreeze was frozen! I’m glad to be home for the day.

Oh went out to the garage last night to tenderly wrap his wines up. The last time we had a spell as cold as this the corks came up and all the low / no alchol wines and beer froze solid. My nice robust reds were just fine. So the wine is now cosied up. I console myself that we only went to minus 9 last night, further north they were at -17, now that’s cold!

Im off to make some hot chocolate. Have a good day all.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I can only assume that the system thinks you have not read some posts  around 1589. Possibly if you use the next page feature to get you to the current page it will get you back to normal.

It worked terrierjohn. I had to click on every page individually (41 times). I then came out of the thread, when I went back in took me to the last page. Thanks for your help, it was beginning to annoy me that I had to select the fill in the page finder box every time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I assume you have read Puckoon. As you say Harry, not everybody's cup of tea, but certainly mine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I assume you have read Puckoon. As you say Harry, not everybody's cup of tea, but certainly mine.

Some years back, yes. And some of his other stuff. Pleased to say that my son’s also a fan. Both our kids were brought up with some entirely unsuitable comedy stuff (Milligan was at the very mild end) and pleased to say the grandchildren are too. Did have to restrain small granddaughter once though from singing Tim Minchin’s ‘pope’ song in the wrong company! They learn though, and they soon learn what and where’s appropriate. 

Anarchic comedy is good - too little about now on mainstream TV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I had to drive to meet up with a friend and the journey was dreadful. I was fine near home but when I got into town a new box of nutters had been opened and they hadn’t a clue how to drive on black ice. One skidded right across a mini roundabout and got stuck in the middle, people should learn to drive to the road conditions and not break sharply on ice.

On the way home a tractor on the other side of the road kicked up muck and I couldn’t clean my windscreen as the antifreeze was frozen! I’m glad to be home for the day.

Oh went out to the garage last night to tenderly wrap his wines up. The last time we had a spell as cold as this the corks came up and all the low / no alchol wines and beer froze solid. My nice robust reds were just fine. So the wine is now cosied up. I console myself that we only went to minus 9 last night, further north they were at -17, now that’s cold!

I've heard Blue Nun never freezes,I wonder why.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

It worked terrierjohn. I had to click on every page individually (41 times). I then came out of the thread, when I went back in took me to the last page. Thanks for your help, it was beginning to annoy me that I had to select the fill in the page finder box every time.

No, it didn’t work, it reverted back when I went back into this topic.  Only just noticed that you can click on the latest page at the top of the screen. I will do that in future until I can figure a solution. 

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Some years back, yes. And some of his other stuff. Pleased to say that my son’s also a fan. Both our kids were brought up with some entirely unsuitable comedy stuff (Milligan was at the very mild end) and pleased to say the grandchildren are too. Did have to restrain small granddaughter once though from singing Tim Minchin’s ‘pope’ song in the wrong company! They learn though, and they soon learn what and where’s appropriate. 

Anarchic comedy is good - too little about now on mainstream TV. 

I loved the one when he had Delhi belly on a train in India.He had an "accident" but thought no worries I've got a spare pair of trousers in my case.He thru the strides out the window,opened his case and found just a cardigan.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Minus 17🥶.  I’ve always wondered why the Royals are so fond of Braemar?   Mind you - they don’t visit in the winter!   

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

I saw the great Spike Milligan on stage in the mid 70s. The humorous singer and guitarist Jeremy Taylor appeared alongside him. They were both hilarious and the concert didn’t end until the early hours when Spike said he had run out of things to say, dropped his trousers and left the stage.

When we first lived in London in the 1980s, we stayed in North Finchley and I used the station at Woodside Park every morning. And... every morning, I was joined by Spike Milligan who always waited on the same part of the platform as I did and who invariably travelled in the same carriage. He knew that I knew who he was... but I had decided to treat him as I would any other commuter. We had conversations... "After you." "No! After you!" (sometimes in a :Goonish" tone... all a bit surreal.

A few months later we moved 'South of the River"... just around the corner from Harry Secombe who lived in a much posher street. Early one morning I was crossing the end of the road when... a mad cyclist almost ran me down... he screeched to a stop... looked me in the eye in what seemed to be shock and horror as he recognised me.

It was Spike! I was shocked... I didn't know what to say and just smiled. Spike smiled back... saluted turned the bike around and rode around the corner and away. 😊

Only much later did I read the Spike's poem "Smile" and realised that I might be "someone".

"...When someone smiled at me today,

I started smiling too.

I passed around the corner

and someone saw my grin.

When he smiled I realised

I 'd passed it on to him.

I thought about a smile,

then I realised its worth.

A single smile, just like mine 

could travel round the earth..."

Spike was uniquely unique.

I now really wish I had tried to start up a conversation or two on that railway platform but... in London!? 

• Like 10

Off to Carol Service at 6pm, not something we normally do, but we got a block invite to the local heritage committee I serve on, so thought we had better attend. The Great, the Good and the Not so Good will no doubt be in attendance, it’s for a good cause, but we will wrap up as the church is noted for not being very warm, so thermals, ski jacket and snow boots may be the order of the day. 🥶

• Like 3

We are back from the funeral without too much problem on the roads despite the ice, though b-i-l managed to slip getting out of his car and ended up sitting on the ice on the car park fortunately only his pride was hurt.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Off to Carol Service at 6pm, not something we normally do, but we got a block invite to the local heritage committee I serve on, so thought we had better attend. The Great, the Good and the Not so Good will no doubt be in attendance, it’s for a good cause, but we will wrap up as the church is noted for not being very warm, so thermals, ski jacket and snow boots may be the order of the day. 🥶

I have just been out to buy a hat and gloves because we are in the cathedral tomorrow for granddaughter's school carol service and I am expecting it to be rather cold. The 'warmest' it got to today was -3.

%

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Minus 17🥶.  I’ve always wondered why the Royals are so fond of Braemar?   Mind you - they don’t visit in the winter!   

How cold is it down in Glasgow?

Yes Braemar is the coldest area. My sister and I were there in summer before the pandemic and it was still cold enough to need gloves! The berry fruits in the hotel were  however amazing.

A well attended Carol Service this evening, invitees drawn from numerous volunteer organisations across the county and organisations in patronage from members of the Royal Family. The service was one of only 8 in the U.K. organised by the Lord Lieutenants in each county on behalf of the Royal Foundation of the Prince and Princess of Wales. These services were in advance of the televised service which takes place on Thursday. 

7186454C-78CC-40F5-BE0C-C6E2240A6711.jpeg

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

How cold is it down in Glasgow?

Yes Braemar is the coldest area. My sister and I were there in summer before the pandemic and it was still cold enough to need gloves! The berry fruits in the hotel were  however amazing.

Very cold - saying minus 5 now going down to minus 8.  Very white outside already.  Brrr 🥶. Meeting friends tomorrow in Edinburgh so hope the bus has been defrosted!  

• Like 1