P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I would love to see some photos of the fireworks if you find time. It's been a few years since I last saw that magnificant display.

Have a Happy New Year .

Avril

Our Madeira cruise was the only one where we bought the cruise video and that was just for the fireworks display, all eleven minutes.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Everyone

Some of you may remember me but most of you won’t know me from Adam!

I'm Jane, who used to post quite regularly during Covid times, when I was working as a Practice Manager at a GP Practice. Sadly the NHS and I finally parted company, after 33 years, at the end of May.  My stress levels were out of control and I became quite (very on occasion) ill.  Long story short, I more or less withdrew from life. Took myself off all social media and quietly disappeared from everyone except my closest family. 

Happily, things are so much better now for me. I've been looking at CC and reading the boards for a few weeks now and I'm so glad to see that all my old friends are still active. It was however Avril's lovely post just before Christmas when she sent good wishes to all on the forum including those who no longer post. I thought - that's me! That gave me the impetus to say hello to you all again so ...hello!

I haven't cruised this year but have taken a couple of breaks in Southwold in Suffolk which is my happy place. I have booked for October '23 on Britannia -  so I can once more be a valid contributor to CC.

I wish you all, old friends and new, a very happy and healthy New Year.

With very best wishes to you all.

Jane. X

Welcome back Jane.

Wishing you a happy New Year and hope that 2023 continues to improve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s a very sad and worrying post. NHS workers have been treated appallingly since the pandemic, but the pressure’s never eased and the staffing gets worse.

How incredibly hollow and cynical all those public displays of cheering and clapping were!

Harry the pressure is unrelenting and not only for front line staff. Every department is creaking under the strain and the introduction of ICBs has only added to it. I’ve never known it to be so bad in my 19 year career in the service.

However, a new year is upon us and I hope that 2023 is everything that you all on CC wish for yourselves.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Harry the pressure is unrelenting and not only for front line staff. Every department is creaking under the strain and the introduction of ICBs has only added to it. I’ve never known it to be so bad in my 19 year career in the service.

However, a new year is upon us and I hope that 2023 is everything that you all on CC wish for yourselves.

ICBs are just the latest structure to add to all the past attempts. It’s scandalous what’s been done, and also not done, to the NHS over the years, with everyone in any position of real financial control ducking responsibility.

High time it was taken altogether out of the hands of politicians and put under some form of genuinely independent centralised control to pull everything together, but ensure we have a NATIONAL health service again, instead of a series of localised messes, all busily trying to reinvent the wheel.

No fault of the poor staff. Wholly the fault of politicians for not doing it.

• Like 9

A very Happy and Healthy  New Year to all posters and lurkers on CC, and a special New Year wish to Sharon for this much needed and important thread. Long may it continue.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE🥂

Avril and Frank. xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 14

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I would love to see some photos of the fireworks if you find time. It's been a few years since I last saw that magnificant display.

Have a Happy New Year .

Avril

Madeira looks superb tonight Aurora still on her way ,Queen Victoria ship sat out in the bay 🥰

• Like 3

7ac980f08a1e74180b7dc188ffe6c4f1.thumb.jpg.2c91c9e0deb1f5e4325f6bbe0434cbbe.jpg    

I phoned my mate Barry to see what him and his Mrs are doing tonight to 
see the New Year in ?
"Not much ,the Mrs has just got some Milk Tray and ate the  box"😮

I told him "We prefer to eat the chocolates but each to their own " 😆

Happy new Year to you all. Wishing you health and happiness to you all.

(Until next year 2023) ,take care 🥰 Off to watch the fireworks 

484145973_newyear.thumb.jpg.d7237485d068838837061b7abb6ae6bc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Our Madeira cruise was the only one where we bought the cruise video and that was just for the fireworks display, all eleven minutes.

A few (bad) photos that don’t do justice to tonight’s show.

A4398531-BFE1-41FF-A4E1-65F4039EE1B3.png

66E06BBB-75C2-4BD4-BAE8-D74E8D246117.png

6015C658-C132-46FC-A107-0F97C7C9CD80.png

B0A8142A-3195-45F9-912F-C9D52A643533.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning All and Good Morning 2023

Well I hope those who celebrated had a great New Year's Eve, those who didn't had a good sleep, and to those for whom New Year is a sad and lonely time - I'm thinking of you.

Here I am posting at nearly 3am because I'm wide awake.

Firstly, I never go out on NYE because Teddy (my dog) gets very frightened by the fireworks. All was well until 9pm-ish when the first lot of explosives went off and that went on until around 1am. Thankfully, after a lot of shaking and being terrified, Ted is now sleeping peacefully and snoring loudly.

Secondly, my near neighbours had a fairly noisy party which almost drowned out the fireworks. There was a lot of singing ( Knees Up Muvver Brown, Show Me The Way To Go Home etc.), the Hokey Cokey in the street at midnight and so on. You get the picture. I wouldn't mind but they are 88 and 86! It was fun actually. I love people enjoying themselves.

Resolutions for 23: Get completely well, lose 4 stone, and finally give up smoking! Happy days.

I wish you all the best of everything for this year and thank you again for your warm welcome home.

With very best wishes. Jane. Xxxx

• Like 22

A Happy New Year, Jane and everyone.  I was awake at 3, but managed to go to sleep again until just!  I can relate to your resolutions - mine are to get well - or better anyway - and lose about two stone.  Luckily have never smoked; a friend of 70 who had smoked fairly heavily for over 50 years has just given up after a bit of a scare.  Saw the GP, had an X-ray, no problems, but he has managed to stop completely now for a couple of months.  So it can be done.  Now that your stress levels are going down rapidly, I hope,  it should be easier.

• Like 13

Happy New Year to everyone.

I loved the description of your neighbours @Beckett- fabulous.
My dog Freddie is the same over fireworks although to be fair we had some at 9pm and the between 0000 and 0030, so couldn’t really complain.

My resolution every year is to lose weight - I am never very successful with that one and I feel 1st Jan is not the day to start- maybe tomorrow 🤣

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

A new year and new hope for everyone. We are cruising again on 14th Jan onboard Iona to the Canaries, hoping for some winter sun and warm.

To all my friends on these boards I wish you a very Happy New Year.

Edited by bobstheboy
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy New Year all, we had a quiet night, had evening meal with a bottle of red wine, watched Enola Holmes 2 on Netflix, tuned in to Graham Norton, suffered Sam Ryder until fireworks from London at midnight, which again were excellent. Very few fireworks here, which was a surprise as in past years quite a few have gone off at midnight. 

C7D53CA3-2920-42F5-814B-C91A6E5EC72F.jpeg

• Like 8

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year.

We didn't do a lot last night, no special meal just finished up some of the left overs from the Christmas party we had the night before. We did stay up and watch thefireworks in London on the television. There were a few fireworks around here but not many, we can normally see the fireworks in St Ives from our house but not this year!

Still can't shift this cold/flu  that I had before Christmas, but a least I don't feel ill with it anymore.

I don't make any resolutions but I would like to get fitter and loose some weight. It is not good trying to start a diet now as we have so many things to eat up, cakes, chocolates, etc  and I have my birthday this month and often get given more chocolates. There's always another day though right?

We have been invited round to my daughter's for dinner so I don't have to cook today. 

Pam  

• Like 13