P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

After I had a retinal vein occlusion 20 or so years ago, the ophthalmic consultant put me on blood pressure tabs, and advised that it should be below 140/80, and I was only in my 50s then.

My target by the cardio nurse is 135/75  but I am doing far better than that .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

There is ‘compassionate’ leave but I always thought it was for a death in the family. We have 5 carers days in a year, I took one when my Dad was in hospital. I just didn’t want to use them all up at once as I think I might need them later. As I’m allowed to self certicate for a week and there is the option of ‘anxiety’ it seemed the most straightforward way.

Just be a bit  mindful of what  goes on your medical records and what happens when you come to insurance renewals, especially with anxiety, watch that premium rise!

Edited by ohnonotmeagain
Spelin!
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I used to smoke and it took a very frightening bronchial asthma attack  to stop me. That was 40 years ago.

Frank and my youngest daughter still did, and no matter how I tried they couldn't/wouldn't stop. I then looked into vaping, and after some research and a chat with our doctor and with some friends, I decided to try and wean them over to vaping. They took to it straight away and  have never given cigarettes a thought since.  It will be 4 years at the end of February and they are much healthier.

Anyway Jane, the upshot of this blather is, try vaping, it works.

Avril

I will Avril. It's not something I've tried up until now. Can you tell me are they still vaping or have they given that up too.? Is it 4 years since they had their last cigarette or 4 years since they stopped vaping? Thanks Avril. Jane. Xx

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you.

I'm just praying mum stays on both feet and doesn't break any more bones while she's away! Just before Christmas, while in a boot with her second broken foot of last year, she managed to fall badly and damaged the ligament that holds the arm into the shoulder joint so she spent Christmas in a boot and a sling 😏

Oh no I'm sorry to hear this.

Prayers 🙏 she avoids any mishaps on Iona.

Graham.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

It is very windy here at the moment with lots of bins blown over.

We spent 11 hours at hospital yesterday while our Sarah was getting emergency CT, x-rays and MRI scans on her back.

She was admitted into hospital this morning and the surgeon said he would perform a dangerous operation or give her injections in a week's time so she has opted for the injections.

As well as a slipped disc she has Cauda equina syndrome.

IMG_20230112_195942.jpg

Sorry to hear about your niece Sarah. I am sure she will get the best treatment.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

There is ‘compassionate’ leave but I always thought it was for a death in the family. We have 5 carers days in a year, I took one when my Dad was in hospital. I just didn’t want to use them all up at once as I think I might need them later. As I’m allowed to self certicate for a week and there is the option of ‘anxiety’ it seemed the most straightforward way.

Hi Sue. I can tell from your posts how worried you are about your mum. It's so upsetting to see our previously vitally strong parents reduced to pain and frailty.

I'm with Kalos on this one and join him in saying "go for it". Four hours sleep is no good to anyone but Margaret Thatcher and you need all your physical strength and mental wellbeing at the moment. For what it's worth I think your manager is being very short-sighted in being so mean - especially with your excellent attendance record. As others have said, your health is what's important just now. Your anxiety is real and you don't want it to escalate. Look after yourself and don't take any nonsense from your employers. Your job will still be there after one week and you hopefully will be feeling more able to cope with it. Very best wishes. Jane. Xxx

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Just be a bit  mindful of what  goes on your medical records and what happens when you come to insurance renewals, especially with anxiety, watch that premium rise!

Somethings are more important than rises in insurance premiums.

Yesterday I called UHNS to tell them that I have symptoms that I was told to look out for, they told me that someone will call me on either Monday or Tuesday to triage me for an appointment I know that whatever the outcome I have to inform the insurance company that I have had to be checked out and that the premium will go up regardless of whether or not my symptoms prove to be a recurrence of my previous problem.  There is no way that I would delay getting check just to prevent an increase in insurance premiums.

• Like 7

The sun has just come out in Bolton after heavy rain overnight. Just seen the deer in the farmer’s field behind us, they have not been around for a couple of weeks so very pleased they are still with us. We are hopefully going for a walk later if the weather stays fine.

• Like 8

Watched a really good, but distinctly offbeat, film last night.  Anyone else seen it?

The Banshees of Inisherin

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/oct/23/the-banshees-of-inisherin-review-martin-mcdonagh-colin-farrell-brendan-gleeson

Same pedigree as Three Billboards and In Bruges.

Edited by Harry Peterson

17 hours ago, Beckett said:

I will Avril. It's not something I've tried up until now. Can you tell me are they still vaping or have they given that up too.? Is it 4 years since they had their last cigarette or 4 years since they stopped vaping? Thanks Avril. Jane. Xx

I'm sorry I didn't make it very clear I should have said started vaping, not stopped. They are still both vaping, but their health has much improved. The best way to do it not to regulate the amount you vape but the nicotine content in the liquid. The strength  ranges are 18 mg, 12mg, 6mg, 3mg and 0mg. Lisa began at 12mg and is now down to 3mg. Frank, who had been smoking cigarettes for 50+ years, began at strength 18mg and is now down to 6mg. Don't use the fancy flavours, just British tobacco flavour. It's easier than reducing the number of cigarettes you smoke, it fools the mind if you know what I mean. Research it on the NHS website, that's what I did, it's the safest, easiest and most stress free way to stop smoking. It's not an overnight cure, but if it's working on my ''I'll never stop smoking'' husband then it must be good.

Give it a try Jane, you've nothing to lose but everything to gain. Best of luck.x

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm sorry I didn't make it very clear I should have said started vaping, not stopped. They are still both vaping, but their health has much improved. The best way to do it not to regulate the amount you vape but the nicotine content in the liquid. The strength  ranges are 18 mg, 12mg, 6mg, 3mg and 0mg. Lisa began at 12mg and is now down to 3mg. Frank, who had been smoking cigarettes for 50+ years, began at strength 18mg and is now down to 6mg. Don't use the fancy flavours, just British tobacco flavour. It's easier than reducing the number of cigarettes you smoke, it fools the mind if you know what I mean. Research it on the NHS website, that's what I did, it's the safest, easiest and most stress free way to stop smoking. It's not an overnight cure, but if it's working on my ''I'll never stop smoking'' husband then it must be good.

Give it a try Jane, you've nothing to lose but everything to gain. Best of luck.x

Avril

Brilliant. Thanks so much your very clear directions Avril. Today I'll do the research on the NHS website and tomorrow I will buy. I'll let you know how I get on. Many thanks again.  Jane.xxx

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Brilliant. Thanks so much your very clear directions Avril. Today I'll do the research on the NHS website and tomorrow I will buy. I'll let you know how I get on. Many thanks again.  Jane.xxx

Quitting smoking is easy I must have done it a dozen times 😉

Staying stopped is a bit harder but I'm sure you will get there Jane .

Good luck YOU CAN DO IT !🙂

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

Quitting smoking is easy I must have done it a dozen times 😉

Staying stopped is a bit harder but I'm sure you will get there Jane .

Good luck YOU CAN DO IT !🙂

Thanks Kalos. The difference this time, which gives me hope, is that I actually want to stop. When I was working and under so much pressure I didn't have a hope in hell of stopping - smoking was my crutch - but now I'm starting to believe I can do it. Fingers crossed!  Jane. Xx

• Like 9

I hope that you manage to stop Jane. My DH had a drastic way to stop smoking which I wouldn't recommend to anyone.  His body swelled very suddenly so he rang the doctor's and was given an emergency appointment, the doctor took one look and said he needed to go to the hospital  and gave him a referral letter so I took him.  He spent 2 weeks having tests until they decided that he needed 2 heart valves replaced.  Fortunately we had BUPA so 3 days later he had the valves replaced.  The time that he spent in hospital meant that he couldn't smoke for 3 weeks so when he came home he was no longer a smoker and 15 years on he has still not been tempted to smoke again.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Thanks Kalos. The difference this time, which gives me hope, is that I actually want to stop. When I was working and under so much pressure I didn't have a hope in hell of stopping - smoking was my crutch - but now I'm starting to believe I can do it. Fingers crossed!  Jane. Xx

Jane if you are at that stage, I highly reccomend Miriam Stoppard's book Quit Smoking

Worked for me, at least 60 a day but not one in over 35 years. Be strong and good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It has turned into a cracking day here after the last few dreary drab and wet ones, forecast looks good for us for a few days with cold clear days. I used to smoke many many moons ago, I cut down to one cigarette after meals then I cut down to twenty meals a day, easy peasy.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good luck Jane.

It is never to late to stop smoking.

Graham x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Jane.

Try what I did and write down all the health risks and negative affects of smoking including the cost of cigarettes and turn your mind against smoking.

Keep the list just in case you are tempted to smoke.

Instead of 2-3 minutes smoking a cigarette do something else instead.

Graham x 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Avril, my granddaughter says her vaping material is 2% nicotine, is there a defined correlation from wt to strength, and where would her 2% material fit on your 0 to 18mg range?

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Jane.

Try what I did and write down all the health risks and negative affects of smoking including the cost of cigarettes and turn your mind against smoking.

Keep the list just in case you are tempted to smoke.

Instead of 2-3 minutes smoking a cigarette do something else instead.

Graham x 

I did a similar thing only I let my mind imagine a disgusting being who smelt putrid

and was really nasty and thought that he owned me .

Now if Jane was to do the same and think about all these poor souls she must have met 

in her time in the NHS. He is laughing at her telling her she has no chance, he owns her.

He wants Jane to suffer as she see's the pain in her Grand daughter's face when she  see's

her ill . Just a  matter of time he laughs !

What are you going to do about it ?

Same as we did Graham point out we don't need him anymore .

• Like 3

Had to laugh at this junk mail received earlier. Firstly, they can’t consistently spell ‘January’. More importantly though they seem to think £2 off a Triple Foam car wash, whatever that is, will cure depression.

Our hard pressed NHS is missing a trick here - £2 off car wash vouchers will sort it all out!

Did you know that the 3rd Monday in January is renowned to be the most depressing day of the year, also known as Blue Monday? 

At IMO we want to bring some shine and happiness to this supposedly gloomy Monday, by offering all our customers,
 for this Monday only, £2 off Triple Foam.*

With triple the foam, triple the soap and triple the fun... be sure to check your in-app wallet from 8am tomorrow, Monday 16 Janaury to make the most of this exclusive Blue Monday offer. 
What are you waiting for?
Lights, Foam, Action..
Let's make this Monday a happy one.

• Haha 7