P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I could post a picture I have of the Baker Boys showing Mrs Craddock getting her

muffins out of the oven ,which are described as very moist and sticky but thought 

better of it as we don't want this thread locked off do we ? 😯

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Surprising that people don't take more care over names.  I knew these:

Roland Butter (really!)

Rosie Plum (also really)

It’s not just the names like that that cause an issue. Up here people are often named after a grandparent as a first or middle name. On some of the islands there are a succession of Donald McDonalds whose father, grandfather and probably father in law are all.. Donald McDonald. So you get Don, Donny, Mac, big Donald, wee Donald etc

Margaret is also (still) a popular name hence all different versions of it to distinguish one from another, Margaret, Meg, Maggie, Mig etc

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

How could you forget this name?

The answer should have been skiing. She was very good and surprisingly the commentators said her name regularly without a titter. It's our unique British sense of humour I suppose. We have  Bottom's and the German's have Chmelar's.😁

Avril

• Haha 1

Just now, Adawn47 said:

The answer should have been skiing. She was very good and surprisingly the commentators said her name regularly without a titter. It's our unique British sense of humour I suppose. We have  Bottom's and the German's have Chmelar's.😁

Avril

Terry Pratchett used our collective penchant for silliness when naming one of the disc world characters. Cheery Littlebottom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I went to school with a girl called Teresa Green

and had a work contact in America called Randy Bishop😂

I remember seeing the name Randy Thom, sound director I think he was, on the credits of a film we had watched.

Avril

• Haha 1

Quick post from sunny Funchal, with a threat of rain over the hills. A pleasant 20c so a little warmer than the UK. Very heavy seas for two days with gusts up to 70 knots,. but hopefully a better few days to come.

First thoughts, as always I love cruising and Iona is a lovely ship, but I have noticed  how things have changed in the past 12 months. Menu in MDR doesn't have the choice it used to have. They stopped the "always on" items such as Prawn cocktail and Salmon steak. I know the always on list was stopped about three years ago but some items were included daily in the main list, most have now gone, apart from the steak. The service time is unpredictable, on average 2 hours. The staff, as always, are great but stretched to breaking point.

Drinks service in bars has been good, lots of moans about the drinks package, with newcomers buying it not realising the silly restrictions. Entertainment okay considering the late changes because of rough seas.

Dining in Olive Grove and Beach House this week so will comment later but the Limelight menu hasn't changed since Iona was launched and is boring, IMO.

We have Arvia booked in September so will see how that compares, any further detrimental changes will probably mean goodbye P&O after 25 years, I hope not.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Nowadays, you don’t run into many people who name their kid Lance.

But in the Middle Ages, people used to be named Lancelot.:classic_unsure:

My dad actually was called Lancelot.

It's part of a family naming tradition that I've traced back to the 17th century.

He was the last Lancelot in the family, and I don't think he liked the name very much.

He joined the army under the name Lance, and when when he returned to Civvy Street after the war, he reinvented himself as Lawrence. 

• Like 9

I always wonder whether people deliberately give their children strange names or just like the name and don't think of the implications of the child being teased.  I hated my name until I went to high school and we had a girl named Hazel Nutt in our form.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I always wonder whether people deliberately give their children strange names or just like the name and don't think of the implications of the child being teased.  I hated my name until I went to high school and we had a girl named Hazel Nutt in our form.

A friend at work often had unusual proposals. Like folk doing what they were paid to do. At meetings he would sometimes be asked...Are you joking ? '.no, Mike he would reply.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You’re absolutely right. Far too many people thinking more about themselves than the child - and it’s the poor child that’s stuck with the daft name which it will have to explain, spell out, or perhaps even have its career blighted by.

Boring, classic, hopefully long lasting names for us.  And the kids are still happy with them around 40 years on - both names still in frequent use too.  Not easy choosing names, but they’re for the children - not the parents.

• Like 5

I remember talking to a collegue and her friend's had chosen the child's name, but changed their minds when they realised  the initials would be TNT.   

Two of my daughter's classmates were  Rebecca Wood and Rebecca Orchard.

My own children have classic names, but I did insist that we didn't follow the Italian tradition of naming them after members of OH's family. There are a lot of other members with the same name and it gets confusing, and to differentiate they get referred to as photorapher Piero and Northwood Piero, etc.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sorry folks, I can top them all. My dad was a railway signalman and worked with a guy called Leonard Duck, one of his kids was my age so when he was born in 1948 his dad called him….. drum roll, DONALD! Absolutely true I promise you, and this in a mining village in West Yorkshire! Imagine what his school years must have been like.

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

14 minutes ago, Grandad John said:

Sorry folks, I can top them all. My dad was a railway signalman and worked with a guy called Leonard Duck, one of his kids was my age so when he was born in 1948 his dad called him….. drum roll, DONALD! Absolutely true I promise you, and this in a mining village in West Yorkshire! Imagine what his school years must have been like.

Probably grew up to be a tough kid

53 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

I absolutley swear I once nursed a "Richard Head"........... ok until shortened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago, I had to teach a Richard Head. The kids nicknamed him ‘Headless’, I guess the obvious choice these days was not in existence in the late 70s. Shame because it would have been apt.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Have you heard of the phrase “main character energy”. I hadn,t. 

Apparently it is social media trend all about being the star of your own show, standing out from the crowd, catching attention. Parents are looking for “main character energy” names for their baby names so in the last year these names were registered in the U.K. numerous times.

Maverick (top gun)

Wednesday (as in Adams)

Vilenelle (after the baddie in killing Eve)

Marylon

Sunday

Jax. (Boys name)

Thor (yes really)

Kalesi (game of thrones)

Aragorn (game of thrones)

Love

Indiana. (jones)

Some I quite like, others well…..

I have to say that when I am looking at any named items in the shops I don’t recognise many of the names on them and certainly never find mine, my husbands, my sisters, my brother in laws etc. You know you are getting old when even your name is past it.

Nothing new media and other sources have produced similar naming trends over the centuries.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Nothing new media and other sources have produced similar naming trends over the centuries.

Yes indeed.

Royal names were very popular hence all the Charles, James, George, Anne’s, Victoria, Elizabeth’s etc.

Some now are a little more ambitious and I can’t imagine them being shouted at the play park of at dinner time. Thor, your teas out.