P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Thank goodness your op was successful Graham, wishing you a rapid recovery. 

Well done on your move Gill, happy settling in!

Thanks for the cruise photos Purdey, always a lovely reminder what we've been missing and can look forward to.

Our car was ready for a refill and it never occurred to me that there would be panic buying so joining a petrol station queue at 9am yesterday came as a shock to me. I went to a 4 lane petrol supermarket petrol station accessed via the car park. The person at the front of the queue seemed intent on only going in one particular filling lane and the 2 cars in front of me got frustrated and pulled round her off the slip road to use the other lanes. I'm a fairly patient person but even I ended up doing the same, as did the car behind me. By the time I'd filled up and paid they were only just in position to refuel. I can only guess that they had a favourite pump? 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Panic over. Just after I posted earlier today a friend called me to say that Morrisons had an overnight delivery. I shot down there and joined a queue of 50+ cars and just waited. It was very well organised with some lovely guys directing everyone as a pump became free. This was around 6.45am so I dread to think what it will be like later. I filled up, thanked the guys for doing such a great job and came home.

Just off to the vaccine hub for the day. I'll get my booster while I'm there so all good. At least I won't have to worry about the petrol being in the red now!

Have a lovely weekend everyone. Be well and safe. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Having been through these petrol panics several times before, the one tactic that invariably works is a minimum purchase of, say, 30 litres.

Stops all the silly topping up dead.

I understand one garage chain imposed a maximum purchase of £30 per driver.

There is actually no shortage of fuel, but people panic buying has caused localised fuel shortages, we have a least 4 petrol stations closed as they have run out of fuel, including Tesco, most have run out of diesel, and motorway services only had higher priced N98 petrol. Some have been restocked overnight and there are queues again this morning, Tesco is still closed. 

Have 3 quarters of a tank in my car, not going anywhere until Wednesday, hopefully by then panic buying will have ceased. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Thanks for the cruise photos Purdey, always a lovely reminder what we've been missing and can look forward to.

Our car was ready for a refill and it never occurred to me that there would be panic buying so joining a petrol station queue at 9am yesterday came as a shock to me. I went to a 4 lane petrol supermarket petrol station accessed via the car park. The person at the front of the queue seemed intent on only going in one particular filling lane and the 2 cars in front of me got frustrated and pulled round her off the slip road to use the other lanes. I'm a fairly patient person but even I ended up doing the same, as did the car behind me. By the time I'd filled up and paid they were only just in position to refuel. I can only guess that they had a favourite pump? 🙂

Thank you Damian.

Graham.

20 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Panic over. Just after I posted earlier today a friend called me to say that Morrisons had an overnight delivery. I shot down there and joined a queue of 50+ cars and just waited. It was very well organised with some lovely guys directing everyone as a pump became free. This was around 6.45am so I dread to think what it will be like later. I filled up, thanked the guys for doing such a great job and came home.

Just off to the vaccine hub for the day. I'll get my booster while I'm there so all good. At least I won't have to worry about the petrol being in the red now!

Have a lovely weekend everyone. Be well and safe. Best wishes. Jane.x 

Pleased you managed to get petrol Jane and also your vaccine booster too today.

Graham x

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

understand one garage chain imposed a maximum purchase of £30 per driver.

It would be better if they implemented a minimum spend of £30, as that would stop everyone topping up their tank with a couple of gallons.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

There is actually no shortage of fuel, but people panic buying has caused localised fuel shortages, we have a least 4 petrol stations closed as they have run out of fuel, including Tesco, most have run out of diesel, and motorway services only had higher priced N98 petrol. Some have been restocked overnight and there are queues again this morning, Tesco is still closed. 

Have 3 quarters of a tank in my car, not going anywhere until Wednesday, hopefully by then panic buying will have ceased. 

From what my lad was telling me who is a long distance HGV  driver ,he was talking with 

other drivers and one tanker driver was saying he was running out of the refineries and 

there was NO shortage of fuels and No shortage of drivers to deliver it .The only issue 

was BP'S which the media has reported and caused panic buying .

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Just a thought. If they have a £30 minimum, what happens if somebody fills up and it takes only £19.50?.🤔

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Just a thought. If they have a £30 minimum, what happens if somebody fills up and it takes only £19.50?.🤔

On occasions if I am going on a long journey I will fill my tank to the brim as I know it will get me there and back, which may mean only putting £20 in. I would just ask the garage staff whether they wanted me to pay the £20 or take the fuel out, simples. However I do agree with the idea as it would stop people putting £5 in every time they went out.

15 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

On occasions if I am going on a long journey I will fill my tank to the brim as I know it will get me there and back, which may mean only putting £20 in. I would just ask the garage staff whether they wanted me to pay the £20 or take the fuel out, simples. However I do agree with the idea as it would stop people putting £5 in every time they went out.

It's a very good idea. I have just under half a tank. I hope I will just drive past if I see a filling station without a queue, but.........

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Then they get charged £30. If the minimum spend is clearly advertised the customer is obliged to pay.

Mind you, I can see a few arguments!  But at least it would deter people topping up with £10.

• Like 2

I don't think that BP and ESSO had to report the shortage to only a 'handful' of filling stations anyway but within hours the good old tabloids where using headline words such as shortage, rationing, worrying situation, garages running out etc. Even the BBC News channel, as it was announced by the petrol companies, had it as important breaking news and kept going back to it.

You'd like to think that once people have filled their tanks that they won't need to go back again for some time and the current panic buying will level out again.

• Like 7

This petrol chaos is nuts, so many ignorant stupid people! I agree the media don’t help.

My friend picked me up just after 1pm to go to lunch. The journey would normally take 15 mins at most. It took us half an hour because of the insane amount of cars everywhere! We actually thought there had been an accident on the motorway because the town is normally like that then. Luckily John had filled up a couple of days ago. 
We also had to leave to go home early as my friend had to be home for a certain time. Cars everywhere!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

A few photos of our room and around 

DB622705-3F65-4C38-BE20-D3EC5D598651.jpeg

0395A0E8-9D97-4205-BF29-5416C006E6E1.jpeg

A30373A2-66CE-4D9A-A004-DB7F6EF61DFF.jpeg

2D0331D5-26CE-40B3-9ACB-205F49C881F9.jpeg

4A73B63A-95B7-493A-B99D-D9AC4D8F65E3.jpeg

A851CDC5-7A32-475D-A24D-5F813D9896ED.jpeg

99EF068C-4362-4792-A0A6-FC282BD6CBE7.jpeg

A27E5D92-880E-405A-83EC-441B299713DC.jpeg

C28CABD5-09D9-4EDB-B181-7939725EA47F.jpeg

DCAF9CE4-8C13-4E2E-B90F-385DAAED913C.jpeg

B9F91550-9154-4581-9442-AE911C11765A.jpeg

32CED296-CBC8-484A-B2A4-D1560F7A1249.jpeg

BDF16A19-FF84-4352-BDC3-1586FA33E47E.jpeg

AC64B293-2F8B-419F-95E1-133A3FFC8B42.jpeg

26294FCA-CEAA-4F7A-8014-0113F66C9BBF.jpeg

Great pictures Purdey, looks lovely. I’ve just watched a YouTube video of people on Sky, they had a lot of the food you had! I’ve only been on Sapphire but I loved the pizza place, Alfredos. Great it was no extra charge too!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Angel57 said:

A long wait but finally exchanged and got the key at 3pm. Staying at a nearby hotel as couldn’t face making up a bed etc as I guessed it could be a long wait being in a chain of five.

So am now relaxing with a gin and tonic - so cheers to all my CC pals!

Great news, hope you’ll be very happy in your new home.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

It would be better if they implemented a minimum spend of £30, as that would stop everyone topping up their tank with a couple of gallons.

Wouldn't for motorcyclists though.  Although I'm sure most retailers would be pragmatic, if pumps are pre-set it's gonna be a case of trying to fit a quart into a pint pot....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will queue for ages waiting for a pump that is on the side nearest the side of the car where the fuel filler is.  I always go ahead of them, and if the fuel pump happens to opposite the side of the car where the filler is, I just pull out more hose from the pump...  Like you say, usually finished before they get onto a pump.

• Like 2

I have been away from this board for roughly 2 weeks as we have had a cruise on Regal Princess followed by 7 nights in Weymouth (with a view of Ventura and Aurora from our apartment window)Belated birthday and Anniversary wishes and Congrats to anyone due(Still doing the washing so haven't had time to read through previous posts)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1