P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

31 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My mother always said that mugs spoiled the taste of her tea.  I use mugs but I don't like tea made with a teabag dumped into a mug of hot water, I always use a teapot even if I am alone and making a cup just for myself.  I also use a coffee pot to make coffee after a meal If we have guests.

Yes, a teapot is essential! A tea bag dumped in a cup tastes dreadful imo. It’s very bitter compared to in a pot.

• Like 2

We have just wimped out, cancelled our CPS parking and booked train tickets to Southampton for our October cruise.  Watching the news we know that neither of us want to queue for petrol so the train is the obvious choice.

This will be a new experience for us as we have always either driven or taken the coach in the past but the fuel situation makes the train more attractive this time.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We are not posh but if we have people round to dinner I always get out good crockery, cutlery and crystal glasses.  I like to make an effort for our guests and they do the same.  When it is just the two of us I still set the table properly with a table cloth, napkins and cutlery.  I accept that a lot of people like things to be more casual and I don't criticise them for that but my parents and parents-in-law did exactly what we do and I guess that it is just normal for us.

We do have several complete Wedgwood and Doulton dinner sets because living in Stoke and having family members who have worked for these companies means that they have been bought from the employee shops.

Don’t own a table cloth either so the idea of taking on on a cruise was, to me, bizarre!  Farmhouse kitchens tend to have scrubbed tables, so there’s no need even for table mats. 
I don’t drink tea so I wouldn’t know whether or not a china cup makes a difference! 
We have a really sizeable kitchen but all cupboards are full of things that are in regular use. The children do like their kitchen gadgets! 
But we always sit down together at the table for our evening meal, always have done and always will. I guess coming from farming backgrounds, there was very little formality around dining. Even my grandmother didn’t have best china as such, and meals were just whipped up if someone turned up. Nobody would expect crystal glasses and to be honest, that sort of set up would make me feel very uncomfortable. We bring out cutlery in a  wooden tray and everybody helps themselves so the table is never ‘set’. In the centre, I have one of those napkin dispensers bought from a lovely ironmongers in Normandy so never had use for napkin rings either! Our children’s partners come from similar backgrounds and we get on well with the ‘in laws’ as they tend to do things in a similar way too. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

On another thread there is a discussion about the formal night table settings on P&O and if they have changed.

I know things have changed but I still like using my good wedding china, fish knifes, pastry forks etc and a different glass for each wine when having people over for a formal dinner party.

Does anyone else still do this or am I really a dinosaur (and a dying out!).

When the last of my folks passed We went out and purchased a posh dinner service etc. Occasionally it comes out for a special meal. Thinking about it, not nearly enough🤔

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My mother always said that mugs spoiled the taste of her tea.  I use mugs but I don't like tea made with a teabag dumped into a mug of hot water, I always use a teapot even if I am alone and making a cup just for myself.  I also use a coffee pot to make coffee after a meal If we have guests.

We only have mugs, no teacup or saucers here never saw the need for any, the only people we have round are family or close friends and they are fine with our M&S Crockery and IKEA cutlery, we do have some nice cut crystal wine glasses which we use and crystal flute glasses for champagne or other sparkling wines, not Prosecco though, I don’t rate it.we do have a nice set of Portmeirion serving dishes though. 

At Christmas we get the Christmas Crockery out and the posh cutlery we purchased at the Good Food Show over 10 years ago, which Gary Rhodes walked into when I was carrying it he caught him on the shin when he was rushing to a stand where he was due to be.

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We have just wimped out, cancelled our CPS parking and booked train tickets to Southampton for our October cruise.  Watching the news we know that neither of us want to queue for petrol so the train is the obvious choice.

This will be a new experience for us as we have always either driven or taken the coach in the past but the fuel situation makes the train more attractive this time.

We nearly always take the train to Southampton from Chesterfield to join a cruise.We always stay the night before in case of delays/cancellations etc and the only occasional problem we find is that on the return journey from Southampton a lot of people from the cruise are catching the same train so there is a shortage of luggage space.If its a very long cruise we tend to send a large suitcase down with The Baggage Handling company and carry a case each on the train.We find it far more relaxing than driving

• Like 1

What’s the fuel supply situation like near you?  Curious to know whether this is mainly a southern thing, because reports from the north suggest there’s far less of a panic up there.

Drove to near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, and around that area yesterday to see our son’s new house, and there didn’t seem to be a huge issue. Fuel available, very short queues on occasion, but no obvious panic.

I had assumed the pic. of  reporter called Phil McCann at a petrol station recently, on the Beeb, was a joke.  This a.m. on Breakfast  realised that there really is a reporter called that!

We  have a round table in the kitchen, which really needs a cloth, and my daughter bought me a lovely William Morris patterned one in  what used to be called  oilcloth - wipe down.  Pricey, but so easy to look after.  Best Mother's Day pressie ever.

Grey, windy and very heavy showers in Lincs. today - looks like autumn is setting in, sadly.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

What’s the fuel supply situation like near you?  Curious to know whether this is mainly a southern thing, because reports from the north suggest there’s far less of a panic up there.

Drove to near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, and around that area yesterday to see our son’s new house, and there didn’t seem to be a huge issue. Fuel available, very short queues on occasion, but no obvious panic.

Petrol stations around here (Lytham St Annes)last night showing “no fuel” signs however hubby went first thing this morning and managed to get some diesel at a local station 

Michelle

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ann141 said:

We nearly always take the train to Southampton from Chesterfield to join a cruise.We always stay the night before in case of delays/cancellations etc and the only occasional problem we find is that on the return journey from Southampton a lot of people from the cruise are catching the same train so there is a shortage of luggage space.If its a very long cruise we tend to send a large suitcase down with The Baggage Handling company and carry a case each on the train.We find it far more relaxing than driving

No issues here locally but the papers are reporting problems in the cities. Apparently the queue for fuel in Perth yesterday was right down the main road causing a tailback.

The next issue is the school holidays next week. People are booked up to go to holidays at a distance and are now worried about getting there and home given the reports of empty garages. The drive to Southampton takes at least 2 full tanks of petrol, more depending on the car.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I really don’t like tea from a mug. I know there is no basis in fact for this view but I think tea tastes so much nicer out of a thin China cup.

We do informal suppers and bbqs as well but I still like to dust off the China and glass wear for birthdays, Christmas and special events.

I drink lots of wine so have a wide variety of wine (and whisky) glasses.

It must be difficult to find left handed items.

For tea use a glass held in a old silver tea glass holder I got in Russia just after the Soviet Union collapsed.  Most cafes in Russia serve tea in a glass.

Also have an old Soviet electric samovar, as well as a pre-Russki Revolution proper samovar, but that doesn't work.  Very pretty though.

• Like 3

Our car is currently just over half full with petrol, which is fine for our needs as we don't use it very much at the moment.

However, we are booked to go away at the end of October - I thought it might be Covid that would stop us going, it might yet be a petrol crisis that puts paid to the holiday! 

29 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Our car is currently just over half full with petrol, which is fine for our needs as we don't use it very much at the moment.

However, we are booked to go away at the end of October - I thought it might be Covid that would stop us going, it might yet be a petrol crisis that puts paid to the holiday! 

If  as, advised, there is no shortage of fuel, only drivers, then the crisis should quickly be over, once every panicker has a full tank.

• Like 1

Just now, terrierjohn said:

If  as, advised, there is no shortage of fuel, only drivers, then the crisis should quickly be over, once every panicker has a full tank.

That is true (unless Essar Energy and its Stanlow oil refinery go under, as reported in the financial press over the weekend) but it's very easy to blame 'panickers' for a critical underlying supply/transport problem.

A lot of those 'panickers' are just people desperate to fill a tank for a long journey, or to enable them to do the basic commute, or carry out their nursing, care or other duties.

Yet another supermarket delivery this morning with missing items - and they weren't items people would be panic buying.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Passed three petrol stations in Gainsborough this morning. All had no fuel.  Fortuitously I had topped up on Thursday, prior to the crisis. 

Hopefully things will have improved by October 21st when we drive to Southampton.  

I'd be surprised if this goes on beyond a week, once the initial surge in demand has been satisfied, subject to the Stanlow oil refinery not closing.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

In fact, there is no real shortage of tanker drivers - they have always been relatively well paid, and estinates are that there are only 30 or 40  vacancies. 

The entire fuel shortage is purely driven by the media.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I always thank my doctor,nurse etc and whoever gives me my covid19 vaccinations for their time in doing something for me.

Graham x.

So do I Graham, and not only after being vaccinated, but whenever I leave the doctor or nurse after being seen. Also the dentist, shop assistants, bus/taxi drivers, the man who delivers my weekly online shopping order, Amazon delivery driver, the window cleaner ................., in fact anyone who does something for me. Basic good manners costs nothing.

Avril

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

So do I Graham, and not only after being vaccinated, but whenever I leave the doctor or nurse after being seen. Also the dentist, shop assistants, bus/taxi drivers, the man who delivers my weekly online shopping order, Amazon delivery driver, the window cleaner ................., in fact anyone who does something for me. Basic good manners costs nothing.

Avril

So right. And I like to leave positive reviews where possible, and send emails of thanks for particularly good service. They’re always appreciated by staff more used to getting complaints and brickbats.

I was chatting to my GP about some appalling reviews on the Google page. It’s an excellent practice, rated as outstanding by the CQC, but there were some dreadful reviews by people who plainly weren’t even patients. He said there’s nothing they can do about it - it upsets the staff, but they’re stuck with it. Two excellent reviews now added from this household to counterbalance.

I’ll certainly complain if things are badly wrong (it would have to be very seriously wrong with the NHS, bearing circumstances in mind) but in fairness excellent service also needs recording.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I really don’t like tea from a mug. I know there is no basis in fact for this view but I think tea tastes so much nicer out of a thin China cup.

We do informal suppers and bbqs as well but I still like to dust off the China and glass wear for birthdays, Christmas and special events.

I drink lots of wine so have a wide variety of wine (and whisky) glasses.

It must be difficult to find left handed items.

I'm not posh either, but my mother always set a table with the correct cutlery, china  and glasses for the the meal being served. She was taught by her mum and I was taught by mine, so I don't find it odd, to me it's normal. Frank found it strange at first, but it's second nature to him now. I use a china cup and saucer and Frank has a china mug, the coffee does taste better out of china.

Avri

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

So right. And I like to leave positive reviews where possible, and send emails of thanks for particularly good service. They’re always appreciated by staff more used to getting complaints and brickbats.

I was chatting to my GP about some appalling reviews on the Google page. It’s an excellent practice, rated as outstanding by the CQC, but there were some dreadful reviews by people who plainly weren’t even patients. He said there’s nothing they can do about it - it upsets the staff, but they’re stuck with it. Two excellent reviews now added from this household to counterbalance.

I’ll certainly complain if things are badly wrong (it would have to be very seriously wrong with the NHS, bearing circumstances in mind) but in fairness excellent service also needs recording.

There are those who love to complain Harry, just ask Jane and Josy. Perfection's never possible, but they will find the smallest most trivial detail to complain about and completely ingnore the bigger picture. Dad always told me that if you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.

Avril

• Like 3