P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

48 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Hi Graham,

I haven’t been reading this thread, as I try to restrict my Cruise Critic activity to the threads that actually relate to cruising and I don’t use it for general chat purposes, but I became aware that I hadn’t been seeing your usual high volume of posts so figured that something was up. I now realise that you have gone down with Covid! I sincerely hope that you are over the worst of it and would like to send my very best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

Thank you Selbourne.

It is nice of you to post your best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, brian1 said:

We're making a break for it Friday,booked 3 appartments in Tuscany,Switzerland and France,also the Chunnel.Just hope the Ities accept our printed off forms.As with most things here they are a bit ambiguous and open to interpretation.Won't be happy until we've crossed the Swiss border.I feel like Steve Mcqueen in the great escape,I'll have to get a motorbike,cheers,bro.

Good luck Brian!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 2:21 PM, P&O SUE said:

So pleased your daughter’s result was negative Avril, I agree it seems worse this lockdown, perhaps because we haven’t got the nice weather this time.

Best wishes to you all Josy, it’s so hard. Keep fighting Graham.

I’m having a strange lockdown birthday today. John and I have had a nice walk and I’ve had a long phone call with my sister. Best of all though our son bought our grandson to our gate for some waves and giggles. Bless him I’m sure he thought it odd he wasn’t coming in! My mum also had her lump removed from her face first thing at a local clinic, in and out in half hour so that’s a relief.

Belated Happy Birthday Sue!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy birthday yesterday Sue.

Sorry I missed it.

Pleased your mam had her treatment and hopefully it is very successful.

Graham.

Thanks Graham.

Yes they seem happy it went well, I have to say I have to hand it to the NHS they sure moved fast to get it sorted. We were all worried it might be cancelled but it was removed in what they call round here a “Healthy Living Centre” rather then a hospital so it went ahead. It was quite deep though so when it’s healed they are doing a skin graft. She’s been told to stay seated for 48 hrs but of course she made their dinner and it started bleeding again! So they phoned and went back and they put another couple of stitches in. I’ve given my Dad strict instructions to make dinner today 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thanks Graham.

Yes they seem happy it went well, I have to say I have to hand it to the NHS they sure moved fast to get it sorted. We were all worried it might be cancelled but it was removed in what they call round here a “Healthy Living Centre” rather then a hospital so it went ahead. It was quite deep though so when it’s healed they are doing a skin graft. She’s been told to stay seated for 48 hrs but of course she made their dinner and it started bleeding again! So they phoned and went back and they put another couple of stitches in. I’ve given my Dad strict instructions to make dinner today 😊

🤞

I am fuming!! Just had an email from Celebrity cancelling my Feb 2022 cruise on Edge. Says on CC Edge now doing 7 night itineraries and ours was 10 nights. Have to decide before 1Dec either to rebook something else or get a refund. I will have to speak to my TA tomorrow 

Michelle 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I am fuming!! Just had an email from Celebrity cancelling my Feb 2022 cruise on Edge. Says on CC Edge now doing 7 night itineraries and ours was 10 nights. Have to decide before 1Dec either to rebook something else or get a refund. I will have to speak to my TA tomorrow 

Michelle 

I believe Carnival and Royal Caribbean(Celebrity) have been told by the US. CDC that 7 night cruises are the maximum cruise length for the foreseeable future.

Surprised they are including 2022 cruises.

Good luck speaking to your TA who should give you a full explanation.

At least you have time to plan another cruise in its place.

Graham.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I found this while checking the Celebrity CC site to see if there was any info about their summer 2022 launch itineraries, made me wonder if I would be welcome back on Celebrity, clearly we oldies don't spend enough on board while cruising.

image.png.1f0c50ef6da90c84cd04b9a9432db959.png

Interesting that Celebrity are now offering included drinks, tips and wi-fi. Offering in the sense that they are included in the fare.

You would have thought that given the spending power of their customers, they would not have gone down this route. 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I found this while checking the Celebrity CC site to see if there was any info about their summer 2022 launch itineraries, made me wonder if I would be welcome back on Celebrity, clearly we oldies don't spend enough on board while cruising.

image.png.1f0c50ef6da90c84cd04b9a9432db959.png

It has been obvious for some time that's the way Celebrity are going, we have preferred Azamara in recent years but they have also been much more influenced by parent company RCC, not for the better I M O

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I believe Carnival and Royal Caribbean(Celebrity) have been told by the US. CDC that 7 night cruises are the maximum cruise length for the foreseeable future.

Surprised they are including 2022 cruises.

Good luck speaking to your TA who should give you a full explanation.

At least you have time to plan another cruise in its place.

Graham.

The cruise I booked on Edge has been changed to Silhouette and Edge now doing 7 night itineraries. I had grats & drinks included but if I want to change i have to pay an extra £380 as per their new pricing strategy - to change to an older ship!! . They are giving me $300 obc to compensate. 

Michelle 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Interesting that Celebrity are now offering included drinks, tips and wi-fi. Offering in the sense that they are included in the fare.

You would have thought that given the spending power of their customers, they would not have gone down this route. 

I was also taking a look at the Celebrity forum last night for the same reason as terrierjohn and I'm not really that surprised that X are looking towards their younger customers; I would think it makes sound business sense - and for many of us older ones, they have us anyhow - although I must confess that some of the electronic techno-type music played around some ships has made me question my preference for them occasionally!

The inclusive price will definitely push up the price for many of their loyal customers who benefit from free minutes of wifi and free drinks within a 2 hour time slot 5-7 pm if memory serves me well.  It is not uncommon to see people wandering into the dining room carrying their free drinks because you can't get them in there!

I'm sure that all cruise lines have there eye on the next generation of cruisers and that Celebrity are no exception.  I bet that P&O will also have their eye on what is working for other cruise lines too, even if they do move at a slower pace.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

What on earth does "Destination In-Decisive" mean?

It baffled me as well Annie, I can only guess it means the Gen X passengers choose the ship rather than the itinerary, which would seem to be the norm for all Catibbean cruisers, but maybe not for Alaska.

Edited by terrierjohn

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

The cruise I booked on Edge has been changed to Silhouette and Edge now doing 7 night itineraries. I had grats & drinks included but if I want to change i have to pay an extra £380 as per their new pricing strategy - to change to an older ship!! . They are giving me $300 obc to compensate. 

Michelle 

The Magic carpet on Edge seems wonderful and the ship was new ship of the year in 2018 so I feel your pain.

Silhouette was built in 2011  but she had a multi million dollar makeover in January 2020 so should be amazing.

Grats & drinks and WiFi are included with all Celebrity sailings.

Is there more options you could consider instead?

Are you a Captains club member on Celebrity or C&A member with Royal Caribbean as you might be due an additional discount?

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It baffled me as well Annie, I can only guess it means the Gen X passengers choose the ship rather than the itinerary, which would seem to be the norm for all Catibbean cruisers, but maybe not for Alaska.

Azamara use the term destination immersion to promote longer stays in port with some overnights.

Maybe destination indecisive is you don't care were the ship goes but stay on board and spend more money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I've just had a quick skim read of this thread as I'd missed so many posts. Graham so sorry to read that you have been unwell, I hope that you're making a good recovery.

Thank you Sarah.

Currently day 11 in bed but at least I am at home and Pauline is taking good care of me.

Covid19 is nasty so please take care of yourselves.

Graham.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

It has been obvious for some time that's the way Celebrity are going, we have preferred Azamara in recent years but they have also been much more influenced by parent company RCC, not for the better I M O

We have discussed this and possible implications if Royal Caribbean implemented AI on their ships on the Royal boards and while some are in favour there are a lot that are not because we have a large number of high loyalty C&A members who get a lot of free drinks and WiFi through our loyalty.

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have discussed this and possible implications if Royal Caribbean implemented AI on their ships on the Royal boards and while some are in favour there are a lot that are not because we have a large number of high loyalty C&A members who get a lot of free drinks and WiFi through our loyalty.

In the earlier days of Azamara drinks were not included and I preferred it that way, just paying for what you wanted.

Basic drinks are now included but cure prices reflect that, we still had to pay for quality drinks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes it virtually wipes out the usefulness high level perks.

Loyalty schemes across most lines are now less valuable than they once were.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

In the earlier days of Azamara drinks were not included and I preferred it that way, just paying for what you wanted.

Basic drinks are now included but current prices reflect that, we still have to pay for quality drinks.

Edited.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Oddly enough, one of my criteria for choosing a cruise line is that their marketing departments (or whoever wrote this drivel) use clear and correct English...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Azamara use the term destination immersion to promote longer stays in port with some overnights.

Maybe destination indecisive is you don't care were the ship goes but stay on board and spend more money.

That's what I thought they meant, but they didn't use 'indecisive'. They used 'In-Decisive' which, as far as I know, is not a word. 

How is your grandson?

• Like 1