P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

I meant stake not fillet steak,lol.Where's the bloody edit button now.

Three dots (or are they squares?) top right hand side. Click on those and, for a limited time after posting, the edit button comes up as an option.

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Three dots (or are they squares?) top right hand side. Click on those and, for a limited time after posting, the edit button comes up as an option.

Cheers,it's invisible on my screen but moved the cursor around that area and it popped up,weird.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm not disputing the fact that people are still dying, although I prefer to look at the excess mortality figures rather than the above graph, which shows people dying with CV19, not from it.

However, do you really think that a couple  with, say 3 children under 10, will only invite one grandparent round for Christmas lunch, rather than both grandparents?  I'm not proposing that people be allowed to have 20 guests around the dining table, just a relaxation of the 6 people indoors rule to exclude children.   

As I live alone, and have family I haven't seen in quite a long time, I've thought about this long and hard. Afraid my conclusion is different to yours - apart from the usual arguments, if the science (or the model, anyway) dictates that after Christmas we all have to have 5 days lockdown for every one day spent en famille, those who normally spend Christmas just as couples,  alone, or with their household/bubble will be grounded along with those who have at least had the enjoyment of seeing their family. And all for the sake of waiting a few months until the vaccine appears.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

But how many in this country now are practicing Christians and go to church very few  in comparison to those that just treat it as a holiday get presents and over indulge on food and alcohol.

That may well be true but that’s not what we were discussing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree with you, and I put that badly. I should have put the word Christian in quotes. It’s just that the vast majority of people in England (Scotland may be different) who refer to themselves as Christian (C of E on passports etc) rarely attend church or any other religious gathering or activity.

There’s midnight mass on Christmas Eve of course, but best not comment on the views of our vicar friends on that!

Yes the nativity service and Christmas Eve are always packed out with standing room only but not so much the rest of the year. I take the view that it is lovely to see new people even if it is just once a year, that small connection may blossom some day.

A different debate but I also think that you don’t have to attend church to lead a Christian life. I enjoy attending services (and I’m missing them at the moment) but I know that some younger folks are put off to an extent but still have a faith which is expressed in other ways.

27 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

if the science (or the model, anyway) 

Might be worth watching the BBC2 documentary tonight, where the scientists on SAGE, none of whom were CV19 experts, admit they based their advice on information from  Wikipedia! 

Surprisingly enough, as we all know,  their predictions were totally wrong, both in timing and the number of cases. 

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Might be worth watching the BBC2 documentary tonight, where the scientists on SAGE, none of whom were CV19 experts, admit they based their advice on information from  Wikipedia! 

Surprisingly enough, as we all know,  their predictions were totally wrong, both in timing and the number of cases. 

Thanks, it's already on my (very sparse) 'to watch' list. I'm about as cynical as they come about the models and a certain rule-breaking SAGE scientist, but regardless of whether they are right or wrong it looks likely that we will all pay for a five day family Christmas with a 25 day lockdown, with all the attendant additional economic damage that will bring, let alone the unfairness to those who have not had the pleasure of seeing family. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Of course it is but how many celebrate the true meaning of Christmas the birth of Jesus Christ very few I am afraid.

I do, all my family do and all my friends do. More than you might think.

But yes there are many who don’t and it’s a food and present fest.

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes the nativity service and Christmas Eve are always packed out with standing room only but not so much the rest of the year. I take the view that it is lovely to see new people even if it is just once a year, that small connection may blossom some day.

A different debate but I also think that you don’t have to attend church to lead a Christian life. I enjoy attending services (and I’m missing them at the moment) but I know that some younger folks are put off to an extent but still have a faith which is expressed in other ways.

Now that IS an interesting discussion. I’d substitute moral for Christian, and that’s the way I try to live, but morality needn’t involve Christianity. Some Christians indeed can act highly immorally!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Now that IS an interesting discussion. I’d substitute moral for Christian, and that’s the way I try to live, but morality needn’t involve Christianity. Some Christians indeed can act highly immorally!

No morals are certainly not the exclusive preserve of any faith but those practicing should aspire to be moral (and of course people get it wrong, those of faith and none).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

No morals are certainly not the exclusive preserve of any faith but those practicing should aspire to be moral (and of course people get it wrong, those of faith and none).

How true, I hold the clergy to a higher standard but unfortunately am sometimes disappointed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry I don’t agree Harry. Christmas services are very important to most Christians and an integral part of both the season of advent and Christmas.

Like Easter and all the other religious events affected across all faiths, we will just have to live within the rules and perhaps watch online services instead but it is not the same and it is not “just a holiday”.

Our church is open for 2 hours on Wednesday and Saturday for private prayer.

Before the latest lockdown we went for Sunday service every week.

Mask wearing and social distancing has always been observed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Not been able to post these last few days but I just wanted to wish Graham well in his recovery. Please continue to take it easy even when you feel recovered as in some cases the fatigue can linger a while.

As NHS staff I won’t comment on Christmas as I would probably be banned!

Thank you Lancashire cruisers for your nice post.

As NHS staff you have my utmost respect and gratitude.

While in hospital after my mild heart attack last December everyone was fantastic to me.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Our church is open for 2 hours on Wednesday and Saturday for private prayer.

Before the latest lockdown we went for Sunday service every week.

Mask wearing and social distancing has always been observed.

Yes ours is open for private prayer too.

You still doing well on the road to recovery?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

I meant stake not fillet steak,lol.Where's the bloody edit button now.

Ribeye every time, sticking with turkey at xmas though

I understand xmas is actually the renamed old winter solstice festival which is why we have lots of lights, just to remind the sun to come back next summer, and santa coming down the chimney comes from siberia where long ago they lived in houses with doors in the roofs, on account of all that snow and ice. During the winter festival the village shaman would arrive bearing gifts and 'substances' derived from mushrooms. so they tended to forget all that cold for a while  😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Of course it is but how many celebrate the true meaning of Christmas the birth of Jesus Christ very few I am afraid.

I once asked my atheist friend how he celebrates Christmas without believing in God ?

He asked me how I celebrate Valentine's day when no on likes me ? :classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

Oh of course, it's just another religious celebration!

Why all the fuss. 

Say that to the Muslims, Hindus, & Sikhs etc when their holy day comes up!

Diwali was celebrated by my Sikh friends during lockdown last weekend, no family get togethers this year, but we had some great firework displays. As one said to me it’s hopefully just one year, so why risk it and put family and friends in potential danger, when we can have a double celebration next year.

My LA email this evening shows infection numbers have dropped slightly over last week, 3 more deaths, but a worrying increase in cases for over 80s. Hopefully figures are starting to stabilise during week 3 of lockdown.

We get a great breakdown of the details each week, with details on the wards with the most infections and those with the lowest, glad to say my ward is in low category. We now have 7 test centre up and running, 5 are walk in with appointments, 6 weeks ago we had one. 

On a community page last night a couple of people reported that their partners had been sack for not turning up for work after taking a test and being told to isolate until results come back. Needless to say this caused great anger and one individual on the group an employment lawyer offered to take up their cases at no charge. I understand that the employers have been reported to council and no doubt will be getting a surprise visit. 

• Like 5

As there is more pagan significance to December 25th than there is Christian, perhaps Christmas could move to the end of February when hopefully infections are well down and a vaccine is having an effect. There is probably more chance of snow and Santa will have more time to get himself sorted due to delays caused by his elves having to self isolate. Two Christmases in one year sounds quite attractive.

• Like 1