P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s interesting, Sue. We’ve been having problems with our mail too, and they’re missing the entire round out at least once a week because there’s nobody to cover the postman’s days off.

Yes I remember you saying days off haven’t been covered and it made me realise it could be happening here.

I said to him I know they usually deliver the last Sunday before Christmas- and he said they haven’t done that for a couple of years 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We never watch it.

I bet you used to watch the old Come Dancing though ,when we were kids .

My mam used to give me two options ..Sit quiet and watch TV with her or go to bed .

I don't know why but I always opted for the little black and white telly .

I remember they were like football teams as they trotted out onto the 

Blackpool Tower dance floor . 

Then some guy dressed like he was on a P&O  formal night would introduce the 

teams who represented their county teams . It went something like ..

"Ladies and Gentlemen , welcome to the North vs South Come Dancing quarter finals ..

Representing the North , from Sheffield , give a big welcome to the Darnall & Tinsley 

twisters !    Also give a big hand to their opponent's tonight - Representing the South 

from Southampton , give it up for the Redbridge roundabout Rocky Ravers !"

That was it the band would strike up and they were at it ! Fox Trot , Military two step.

The Gay Gordon's anything went while something like Glen Millers Moonlight Serenade

played away .Meanwhile the commentator would enlighten us to what the dancers did

in real life and they all had like a car reg strapped to their backs but with number on it .

He would say things like "Cyril is married with 8 kids and is a pipe bender in a Sheffield

steel works and his partner tonight is Brenda who lives just down the road in Rotherham 

sells Pukka Pies at her local football ground and enjoys racing her whippet when not 

dancing or at work ."  He would then bore you telling you all about the overgrown 

ballroom dress who made it , how many sequins and years to stich them onto dress .

It was about then that my dad would shout " Kalos Bedtime , You're Falling Asleep ."

So same as you Graham ..No I do not watch any dance programs . :classic_smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Back to the post- I’ve just had a delivery- on a Sunday!! Made me jump as there was quite a lot! I’ve just been out for a walk and from across the road I saw the postman. I called across and asked why he was working on a Sunday. He said our local office is so behind they’ve offered overtime! One of the letters I got was dated 23rd!

A parcel I sent 1st class on Wednesday morning has just been delivered to my friend so they working today in parts of Cheshire....... Good that they doing this, but......

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh I nearly forgot, went for a walk yesterday to drop my prescription off at GP’s and noticed the lovely cafe/bakery was open for a takeaway! (Nutmegs for the locals)
So I went in and got this to take home- yummy! Also got a box for my parents and dropped it off on their doorstep which they were very pleased about. 

7A29205D-8E94-4A09-A844-0453E98C360E.jpeg

As we keep saying whilst we try to convince ourselves that everything really will be alright in the foreseeable future and that we’re doing OK

there’s nothing like a lockdown for making you appreciate simple pleasures.  Glad you enjoyed it Sue

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh I nearly forgot, went for a walk yesterday to drop my prescription off at GP’s and noticed the lovely cafe/bakery was open for a takeaway! (Nutmegs for the locals)
So I went in and got this to take home- yummy! Also got a box for my parents and dropped it off on their doorstep which they were very pleased about. 

7A29205D-8E94-4A09-A844-0453E98C360E.jpeg

Looks delicious, makes me want to make some scones but we don't have any cream in the house.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Vampiress.

Day 23 since covid19 symptoms started.

I feel a lot better now and fortunately Pauline has been fine.

Graham.

Pleased to hear that you are well on the way to a full recovery Graham. Forgive me if this has been asked before, as I tend not to follow the ‘conversational’ threads, but did Pauline not get it at all, or just mildly? One of the things that I just cannot understand about this virus is that we are told that it spreads like wildfire and we have to lock ourselves up and destroy our economy in the process, yet It seems that in many situations a person can get it, often very badly, and yet their spouse or partner who is under the same roof as them throughout doesn’t. I just don’t understand that at all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's a strange day for me today. David, our grandson, has finally found a flat  in the next village and is in moving in today. I'm so pleased for him, but sad to see him go. He's lived with us for almost 20 years and it will be quiet without him. His mum and younger brother are still here, but Dave is the life and soul of the party and can always bring a smile to my face. On the positive side though, I'm not losing a grandson, I'm gaining the other half of my fridge/freezer😃, and he's only 4 miles away. Yep, strange day.

Avril

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Pleased to hear that you are well on the way to a full recovery Graham. Forgive me if this has been asked before, as I tend not to follow the ‘conversational’ threads, but did Pauline not get it at all, or just mildly? One of the things that I just cannot understand about this virus is that we are told that it spreads like wildfire and we have to lock ourselves up and destroy our economy in the process, yet It seems that in many situations a person can get it, often very badly, and yet their spouse or partner who is under the same roof as them throughout doesn’t. I just don’t understand that at all. 

My grandaughter, 28 years old and a nurse on a covid ward, contacted it during the first lockdown. her husband and two children were fine. Did I read somewhere that the scientists thought that there were different strains of this virus? Maybe some of us  have a natural immunity to it, who knows?  It's a new virus and we're all still learning as we go along. They've come a long way 9/10 months already. We just have to do our bit and take care.

Avril

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm all good thank you, its nice to hear from you. 

July is a possibility, but I wouldn't bank on it.. 

The truth is, nobody knows, it can all change so quickly. 

Andy 

I’ll have my fingers crossed then. Will have to decide soon as balance is due in april

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello Vamps, hope you’re well.

Are your girls doing ok at school? Lots of schools round here keep sending the odd class or year group home, very frustrating for everyone.

hi sue

yes the girls are good at school. None have them have been off and they are trying the best to keep it normal for the kids
we are all a bit down currently due to the dog

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Selbourne.

I still feel tired a lot of the time but other symptoms have gone.

Pauline fortunately has shown no symptoms so might be asymptomatic.

Ocean Boy a New York doctor friend on the RC boards said he has noticed an unusually high number of his patients who have covid19 their families under the same roof have not shown any symptoms even though this is a very infectious virus.

Graham.

Well it’s the first Sunday in advent, we watched our church service online this morning as is (for now) usual.

Im not known for being a softy but I had a good greet. I remember so well sitting in church with many family members who are now long gone, singing hymns and watching the first advent candle being lit. I also miss others in the congregation many of whom I have known all my life and haven’t seen since March (except on zoom).

Every blessing for this difficult advent and the Christmas season to come.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well it’s the first Sunday in advent, we watched our church service online this morning as is (for now) usual.

Im not known for being a softy but I had a good greet. I remember so well sitting in church with many family members who are now long gone, singing hymns and watching the first advent candle being lit. I also miss others in the congregation many of whom I have known all my life and haven’t seen since March (except on zoom).

Every blessing for this difficult advent and the Christmas season to come.

Father David WhatsApped us the advent sermon  from church today.

Church services resume next week.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It's a strange day for me today. David, our grandson, has finally found a flat  in the next village and is in moving in today. I'm so pleased for him, but sad to see him go. He's lived with us for almost 20 years and it will be quiet without him. His mum and younger brother are still here, but Dave is the life and soul of the party and can always bring a smile to my face. On the positive side though, I'm not losing a grandson, I'm gaining the other half of my fridge/freezer😃, and he's only 4 miles away. Yep, strange day.

Avril

Avril, you must have been (and still are!) the perfect Grandma/Granny!  He’ll miss you as much as you miss him, and at least he’s just round the corner.

It’s a very special relationship, isn’t it, and nothing will change that. I still think about all 4 of my grandparents, and the fun I had with them, almost every day. That never leaves either of you.  

Harry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

hi sue

yes the girls are good at school. None have them have been off and they are trying the best to keep it normal for the kids
we are all a bit down currently due to the dog

It's seems as though you've lost your dog. I'm so sorry.

Avril

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Hoping everyone is well. I know last time I was on here graham and andy weren’t too good

was hoping to book for 2022 but the prices seem to have shot up after the vaccine announcement was made. 

do we think July 2021 will still go ahead? 

Well I’m hunkered down and fine but in a spirit of ‘all will be okay’ eventually, I have booked Florida flights for the end of September/early October next year and stays at Vero Beach and Disney’s Old Key West resorts 🤞. Are you taking the plunge again? I know you love your Florida holidays.  I have a Fjords cruise booked for the end of August so I do hope your July trip will happen!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Avril, you must have been (and still are!) the perfect Grandma/Granny!  He’ll miss you as much as you miss him, and at least he’s just round the corner.

It’s a very special relationship, isn’t it, and nothing will change that. I still think about all 4 of my grandparents, and the fun I had with them, almost every day. That never leaves either of you.  

Harry

When my first great grandchild was was born I said ''David, I'm a great-grandma'' ''I know '' he said ''you always have been'' I've never forgotten that.

I suppose it's because we have more time now than when we were parents ourselves, and had much more to do in the day to day running of a home, work and family. We can now concentrate wholly on our grandchildren and great-grandchildren and have already learnt from our past parenting mistakes. I loved being a Mum, but there's nothing quite like being a Grandma, Nanan and Grammy😊

Avril

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Vampiress88 said:

We have. It’s the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make and I am struggling with it. He’s been gone only two days.

I understand vamps, I really do. I know it was a hard decision and one that I've had to make too, but you know it was the right thing to do for him. Please take care and know that it will get easier. x

Avril

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

We have. It’s the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make and I am struggling with it. He’s been gone only two days.

I'm so sorry for your sad loss Vampiress.

Sending you our heartfelt best wishes.

Graham & Pauline x.

• Like 1