P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

34 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Before we finish the Chinese theme, if anyone wants a really good laugh, go onto You Tube and search for Lee Mack's Wok Around the Clock ( from Would I Lie to You). It's worth a watch if only for the so-called recipe for Beef in Oyster Sauce! Have a great weekend everyone. Best wishes. Jane.x

Stir Fried Beef and Cashew Nuts in Oyster Sauce is our dinner tonight. The Ken Hom recipe though😉

Avril

29 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I remember those sweets that were shaped like a cigarette (white with a pink tip I think)....... A very different world back then. X

When kids were kids, allowed play make believe, have fun and get dirty. Skipping with a length of old clothesline or filling an empty shoe polish tin with dirt and stones to play hopscotch.😊

Avril

• Like 5

Gosh I remember the toy cigarettes - here they were made of chocolate and we used to walk home from town pretending to puff away on them !

I also remember conkers before some idiot in health and safety somewhere thought that children needed to wear protective gloves and a face shield. You couldn't make it up really ......

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Gosh I remember the toy cigarettes - here they were made of chocolate and we used to walk home from town pretending to puff away on them !

I also remember conkers before some idiot in health and safety somewhere thought that children needed to wear protective gloves and a face shield. You couldn't make it up really ......

No funny. I bet hundreds if kids are taken to A&E each autumn with severely bruised knuckles, or string burns. Dangerous games kids play. No don't start me off about wedgies.🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Try as might, I cannot use chopsticks. I've been shown countless times and just can't do it. I wondered if it's because I'm left-handed, but then I'm probably just trying to find excuses.

Avril

45 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Try as might, I cannot use chopsticks. I've been shown countless times and just can't do it. I wondered if it's because I'm left-handed, but then I'm probably just trying to find excuses.

Avril

Surprised at you having spent so many holidays in Asia, I was them same until I was told no more Chinese meals until you learn, I learnt.

Use them all the time now even at home, Chinese tonight.

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

When kids were kids, allowed play make believe, have fun and get dirty. Skipping with a length of old clothesline or filling an empty shoe polish tin with dirt and stones to play hopscotch.😊

Avril

Rest assured Avril - still happening with our grandchildren I'm pleased to say, and no doubt with many others.  Our children were brought up that way, and with freedom to roam, and so are the grandchildren.  We're not talking here about major towns and cities, though, and that makes a difference.  They're out in the open, covered in mud from head to toe, bundled into a huge cloth in the car and cleaned down when they get home!

Fully home educated too, and have always been - daughter's a qualified teacher but has no time for what passes as 'education' at the local schools.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Rest assured Avril - still happening with our grandchildren I'm pleased to say, and no doubt with many others.  Our children were brought up that way, and with freedom to roam, and so are the grandchildren.  We're not talking here about major towns and cities, though, and that makes a difference.  They're out in the open, covered in mud from head to toe, bundled into a huge cloth in the car and cleaned down when they get home!

Fully home educated too, and have always been - daughter's a qualified teacher but has no time for what passes as 'education' at the local schools.

My son likes to jump in puddles and play with mud and stuff. DW told him ' You can clean up after yourself, your 42, not 2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Been  reading through today's posts and has bought back many memories, Vesta meals, sweet cigarettes, Vienetta, conkers, etc.  It is a pity that a lot of the games we used to play in the playgrounds are not longer allowed - skipping, what's the time . . .?, tag, and many others all for safety reasons.

Heard from my daughter yesterday that her and her partner are getting their jabs today. 

It's overcast again down here, but the wind has dropped from last night.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Children are being too mollycoddled nowadays. Keep them safe most definitely, but what's wrong with a child getting dirty with a few bumps and scrapes? Let them enjoy their childhood while they can.

Avril

• Like 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Avril.

Pauline is a lot better so we were in the garden.

Graham

I'm glad she's much better. You must be having nicer weather than us if you're in the garden, there's a cold wind blowing here today.

Avril

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Surprised at you having spent so many holidays in Asia, I was them same until I was told no more Chinese meals until you learn, I learnt.

Use them all the time now even at home, Chinese tonight.

I know, and believe me , I'm ashamed to admit I can't master them. Three weeks, every year in various Asian countries for 20 years. I've been shown by numerous people in restaurants in that time, I know how it's done, I just can get my fingers to co-operate. Everytime I try the chopsticks cross and the food either falls off or I flick it off.  Chinese for us too tonight Eric, Chopsicks for Frank and a fork for me. It's fortunate that I'm the cook😄

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Snap,I'm left handed sis.I hold my knife and fork right handed though.Reminds me of the left handed shop at Pier 39 in San Fran,probably sell left handed chopsticks there for an arm and a leg,lol.

40 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm glad she's much better. You must be having nicer weather than us if you're in the garden, there's a cold wind blowing here today.

Avril

It was sunny earlier and warm sheltered from the wind.

It got cloudy so we came in the house but it is sunny again now.

Graham.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I'm left handed as well and I can't use chopsticks. Defo not an excuse!!!

• Thanks 1